Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
corncob
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8226
DVD/CD/Radio Player Again

Probably several threads on the subject, but when watching a DVD movie the TV screen starts to get distorted after several minutes of viewing. For example, color blotches showing up in various parts of the screen, and even sometimes stopping the show momentarily.
Is this the type of issues everyone has had or just me? Solution(s)?
TV works fine otherwise.
Found the audio cable plugged into the wrong receptacles.

Player is a QR 4000.

Regards and Thanks in advance for replies.

corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #2
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I had the same problem with the same model,everything worked fine except the DVD player. I just bought a Sony DVD player for 70.00 and incorperated it with the original system.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
What is the feed to the TV? Is it just the RG-6, or are you using component video, or other inputs.

Several things come to mind.
If using RG-6 (RG-59) it is possible that it was shorted, or almost shorted, by the installers. Two ways to check it. An Ohm meter or just swap it out with a new one and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then you know that it was a bad cable.

If you are using component video, the same situation could have happened on one of the three lines feeding the tv. First, check to see that all connections are firmly pushed into the RCA connectors on the 4000 and the tv. If you feel any give when pushing them in, then that could have been your problem. You could also have a bad cable and again, an Ohm meter, or just swap them out. You may have a 3 line RCA cable laying around in the junk box. The Component cables are colored Green, Blue, and Red, whereas the old video cable for RGB may have been colored Red, Yellow, and White, with Red and White being the audio and Yellow the video. If you have the Red, Yellow and White, and want an instant upgrade in video, put in an S-Connector from the DVD to the tv, and unplug the Yellow RCA connector. Your component inputs could also be labeled Y, Pb, Pr, or Y, Cb, Cr. If so, Pb and Cb refer to blue, and Pr, Cr, refer to red. Just remember (important) to mach the colors on each end, red to red, blue to blue and white/yellow to white/yellow.

As others have attested to, you may have a bad 4000. Changing it out for a better quality player, that has AM/FM, etc., may be the best option.

Edited: for clarity.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:39 AM   #4
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
ours did the same thing, its been in the trash since Oct., new Panasonic works great! Quite a history of faulty Q series players. Here is where I got the Panasonic info........great place to be.
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:42 AM   #5
corncob
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8226
Thanks. The Component is matched in colors between the units. I verified that with the diagrams. Do not have my multi-meter with me, so will try that check later.

I really suspected the 4000 DVD as it seems to work well until it gets warmed up. The TV works well as does the CD and FM sections.

Probably a real cheap China unit. I will talk with my dealer about a replacement.
corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
goin2themountains
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9063
Just as a by the by, in my experience, the cheaper the DVD player, the more sensitive it is to scratches/dust/fingerprints on DVDs. I see the same thing with the system in our Monty. I put in a "previously viewed" DVD, and had dropouts all over the place. Put in a new DVD, and it ran fine. I assume this will be one of the first things I replace.
goin2themountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:45 AM   #7
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
corncob, the dealer put 4 units in our rig and they all failed. Keystone told him to purchase a unit from a local electronic store. He did and it has worked great.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I replaced mine several years ago with a separate DVD/CD player and surround sound AM/FM receiver. The cheap one from Keystone barely made it out of warranty. If the DVD player goes out the entire unit is history. If you decide to upgrade to Blu Ray later it can easily be done as well. I also replaced speakers and the sound now is terrific. Good luck with your decision!
Kevin
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote