Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Sliding closet doors broke! - top track fell OFF

Man! I have only had my Montana for 4 days but I seem to be having one problem after another. I am STILL waiting on the dealership to send someone out to fix the toilet leak which was reported the DAY I GOT IT 4 days ago.

But tonight, the top track for the sliding mirrored closet doors just came right out of the ceiling in the closet. I was merely opening a door and with a sickening "KERTHUD" the closet doors dropped down into their bottom tracks, and nearly the entire top track except for a couple of inches on the side came completely down and off the ceiling, screws and all. So now the doors themselves are sitting too far into the tracks on the bottom, and the only thing keeping the doors from falling OUT onto me and the dogs in bed is the decorative panel at the top in front of the doors, and the little bit on the side that it's still attached (but probably not for long). I can't get my head in to see the damage but from feeling around, it feels like it took a small strip of thin wood paneling with it, as that is still attached to the top of the top tracks, and the screws are still in place but all sticking way up. I can feel a very rough wooden ceiling along with the holes where the screws were above that.

ACK! I am a disabled female. I can't fix this myself. I wouldn't even know how. I don't know what to do, and I am disappointed and upset that my BRAND NEW montana that I sold my house for is falling apart like this.

Help? Can anyone make me feel better? Will the dealership be able to get someone to fix it (if they ever get anyone OUT to fix it?)

blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:41 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Welcome to RV ownership. Your skilled craftsman did not did not properly install the track. Ours came apart after a while due to bouncing down the road. Call the dealership and insist that they come out and fix it... A call to Keystone/Montana would also be in order.Helen and I were at Suncoast Rv in Winter Garden, Fl yesterday to order a part and while there took a look at the 2009 Montanas. We both agreed that the quality is lower in the newer units. Think they are taking short cuts due to the economy.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:59 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
blamb, If your in a RV park it might just be someone there that can take a look at it. I haven't been in a RV park yet were someone there can fix that problem.

We also had a 2009 (SOB) and due to the enclosed bath room and some other things we sleep in it a nights and had to get into a (SOB) and believe me someone was for sure gave us a better direction. I don't really like dealerships and generally stay away.

blamb, you will have problems with any RV some more than others, just take a deep breath and keep your chin up. Good Luck... GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:08 AM   #4
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160

We were so sorry to read about your problems on a brand new Montana! WHERE in OK are you? We are parked in McAlester OK and if you are close, we would be happy to help you.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:53 AM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
blamb,

We are returning to Oklahoma City to pick up our Big Sky from Leisure Time RV. If we can help, we'd be happy to. Are you in Norman?

From whom did you purchase your unit?
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
blamb,

The extended warranty only kicks in after the 1 year warranty from Keystone. Leisure Time is also a Montana dealer, although they may require that your unit be onsite to fix. If you want, I will tow your unit to Leisure Time, or, if I can, I will try to fix those items that are not up to par.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:40 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
blamb,
The pilot light is very tricky to light, if it is the same oven as ours, you have to push in on the knob while lighting at the same time (it requires a very acrobatic contortionist person), and I know that our pump is very loud when running. There are other quieter ones that some forumites have installed, but that would definitely be on your dime. Sorry to hear about your problems, but one word of advice I will give you is to use everything possible as much as possible during the 1 year warranty period. Keep a list of everything that goes wrong, and if it is minor enough to live with, plan a couple of trips to the dealer to get those items addressed under warranty. Obviously with major items, arrangements will ahve to be made to get them fixed somehow as soon as possible. Most dealers perform warranty work at their facilities, which of course is disheartening in your situation. Good luck on your new adventure and welcome to the most informative forum on the web.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:54 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
It may take a while for the air to be purged from the pilot line, the other option is to light the oven itself (this needs to be done carefully to keep gas from building up in the oven compartment and igniting). Take your lighter to the oven burner (the long bar), then turn the gas on slowly. This will in turn let you leave the pilot on when you are done with the oven. Please be careful if you elect to take this approach.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:05 PM   #9
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

It may take a while for the air to be purged from the pilot line
I think this was the case. I held the knob pushed down for a good 10 minutes before I FINALLY got a pilot light. Whew!

I also bit the bullet and let the water pump run for a while. It made the entire shake so my teeth chattered but after about 5 minutes, it calmed down to a diesel engine type roar, so that's an improvement.

I'm hoping if I just keep sticking this out things will work out at some point!

I am glad that the dealership finally came through for me (an entire week later), but if they had kept stringing me along I don't know what I would have done without all of you kind, helpful people. Thank you to EVERYONE who was so kind to me with offers to help a complete stranger like me. I was thoroughly IMPRESSED. I guess in my sheltered corner of the world I wasn't aware there were still good people left around here, especially in this state. My "sheltered" life was more of a "sheltered from the GOOD stuff" kinda thing. Anyway... I appreciate it a bunch!

blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:00 PM   #10
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
blamb, Regarding the oven pilot lighting problem;
1) Be sure to purge gas into the oven...best way to do this is to light the "main" top burner, run for few seconds, then turn off.
2) Perform the lighting procedure you used here...shouldn't take so long to light.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:03 PM   #11
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
So glad they fixed your closet - we left Oklahoma City this morning and headed west.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote