Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2008, 10:36 PM   #1
janrlee

M.O.C. #8558
Newbie First Long Trip questions

OK, we are off on our first 600 mile trip to Chesapeake bay next week and have a couple of questions.
First, When we stop at a truck stop to fill up, are all diesel pumps low sulfer? My Ford F250 is low sulfer diesel only.
Second, I want to use one of the Truck stop's scales to get a fix on our true weight. Any suggestions on how to do this. Will the truck stops weigh a TV with a 5er?
Thanks for any suggestions, we are very excited about our trip.

janrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:47 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We use the diesel at all the truck stops.
Re weighing your truck and 5er. Tell the person at the desk that you want 2 weigh readings. At Flying J the second weigh cost an extra $1.00.
First weigh: Put the TV front wheels on 1 scale, the TV rear wheel on another scale and the wheels of the 5er on a separate scale. At Flying J there are 3 or 4 sets of scales on the whole platform.
Second weigh: Make sure the 5er will be on the one scale with the front legs down. Put the legs down on the 5er and take the weight off the hitch. You don't have to disconnect the TV and the 5er to do this. Look for a gap between the hitch and the hitch plate to make sure you have the weight off the TV. After the weigh put the legs back up and you are done.
This will give you the weight on the front and rear wheels of the TV and the stand alone weight of the 5er.
The diff. in the weight on the rear wheels of the truck will give you your hitch weight. The weight on the front wheels of the TV shouldn't change too much. Mine changed by 10 lbs.
Some unhook the truck and the 5er but this seems to work for me.
Hope this helps.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:12 AM   #3
janrlee

M.O.C. #8558
I cannot thank the people on this forum enough. We shopped for over a year before buying our Monty. Since the very beginning, this forum has save me and my husband from making many mistakes. (some of them dangerous, such as how to hook up to the TV) The "willingness to help others" on display in this forum is the exact reason we love the camping / RV lifestyle. We hope to become full timers when my husband retires and we cannot wait to meet some of the fine people on this forum in person.
Thanks and safe travel. Jan, James and Zoe(spoiled shi tzu)
Old 06-21-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
You ask about low sulfur Diesel, do you mean Low Sulfur or Ultra Low Sulfur? I understand that at some truck stop they are still using LS and not the ULS. Won't hurt to ask before you fill up if you need ULS. If you really mean LS, than you are OK as the TV will be able to use both LS and ULS.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #5
janrlee

M.O.C. #8558
I think it is probably ultra low sulfer, I have oan o8 superduty ford diesel. I think it is 15 PPM sulfer max. Do all, or most carry ULS diesel?
Thanks
Jan, James, Zoe
Old 06-21-2008, 10:00 AM   #6
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
There should be a sticker on the pump housing in plain view what fuel you will be pumping.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
There may not be a sticker in the big truck fill area and that is where you may have the problem with LS fuel. So if no sticker, go inside and check before you pump.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote