Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2007, 05:31 AM   #1
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Truck Wash?

Hi, all.

Anybody ever use the truck wash facilities you find along the interstate? I have been tempted several times, because I can't stand a dirty rig, but hesitate because of the high pressure involved. Also, anyone know what it costs to have a 5er done?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:55 AM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Before we retired, we would travel south for a few weeks in the winter.. As soon as we got out of the snow and ice we would have ours washed for about $25.00. It worked great and they are careful around the graphics if you ask them nicely... It was a little more if we had the truck washed too.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:42 AM   #3
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Another thing to ask is if they use any chemicals and what kind. Petroleum base products and a rubber roof dont geehaw well together.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:55 AM   #4
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
Blue Beacons do a nice job.. just tell them to go easy on decals.
here is a link, with other links

http://www.bluebeacon.com/display.php?t=1
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Thanks, I appreciate the info. Usually by the time we get out of Colorado headed for Quartzsite, the trailer is filthy. About Albuquerque we'll start looking for a truck wash.

Best,
Gene
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:10 PM   #6
Dutch and Di
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6741
We didn't have quite as good an experience. We used one because the campgrounds in the area where we were traveling were restricting water usage due to the drought. We had no problem with that so we decided to try a truck wash. A first for us. It wasn't very good. We even had them run it through a second time. They didn't really wash it, just ran a power hose over it and as you know that won't really get it clean. We just stopped that night at an RV park, got out a bucket and some towels and got everything all sparkley again with a lot of elbow grease. Would we use one again?? Probably not. Merry Christmas and safe travels. Diana
Dutch and Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:07 PM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I've used Blue Beacon several times - truck and TT together. They've done a good job so far - easy around the decals. The one I use doesn't have a way to get the top, however. I'll probably continue to let them do the first wash of the spring and maybe after any super long trips with lots of bugs.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:24 PM   #8
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
DW retired Jan, 2005 and first trip was to Myrtle Beach. Stopped in a truck wash in NC to get winter grime off. Cost approx $55 .Then when we got to Myrtle Beach found a self car wash about a block form campground that we could have used. Since then I call ahead and see if CG will allow me to wash off the Northern salt & grime and if not is there a self serve car wash nearby so I can stop before we check in.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:10 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Some rv parks that say no washing will allow you to remove the bugs from the nose, if you ask politely and explain you use a bucket of soapy water, scrub the nose, then rinse it off. Usually they are concerned about a lot of water being wasted by those who leave an open hose running while they're scrubbing.

Some parks will not allow it no matter what. In that case I drain a low point drain into a bucket, suds it up, wash with brush and rags, then rinse with more rags and another bucket of my own clean water. I'll use those same damp rags to wipe down the sides.

The one and only time I used a truck wash, they blew out one of the vanes on the dryer vent. I didn't discover it until we were home. So, besides decals, point out any other pressure-sensitive areas. Another is the little vent holes in the bottom window frames. If they keep the spray on those points too long you'll have water in the rig, sometimes ruining a curtain.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 04:27 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are many Car washes that have a high bay for big trucks. You may have to wash it 1/4 at a time but it works fine..That is if you can find one in a unfamiliar area.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:58 PM   #11
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
Send a message via AIM to osofine
Does a 12'9" monty fit in a regular car wash or do you have to find a self serve truck wash??
osofine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 04:54 PM   #12
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Fits if the ceiling is high enough.g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote