Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2007, 02:29 AM   #1
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
Grease in Brakes???

Hi, all, we hope everyone has had/is having a great RVing year. We have just hit an interesting snag. We took our Big Sky in for maintenance and winterizing and while it was there had them check it out completely. They just called to tell us we have to have the brakes completely replaced because there is grease in them. We have NEVER put grease anywhere but on the hitch and they say the only way for grease to have gotten in there is sor someone to have put it in there. This unit is only 6 months old. Since we have never put anything in or near the brakes, would you consider this a warrantee issue? Just wanted some ideas or suggestions or opinions or options on where we go from here. Thanks, Verle and Sue

Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:34 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
You can try but I am afraid it will be your word that you did not put any grease in there against the Deal or Montana that they did not cause it. This topic has surfaced many times. Best of luck.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:18 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Call dexter, they make the axles and brake assembly.Tell them your story. Same thing happened to us on our 06 3400. We suspected there was something wrong with the brakes or they needed adjustment.When inspected by the dealer all of the seals were blown ..we had no brakes, they all had to be replaced.Dexter was helpful.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:24 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Dexter was helpful.
Does "helpful" mean they covered the cost of the repairs? It would seem on such a new model they would.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:13 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Is it the brakes that have to be replaced or the brake shoes? I don't think I understand if they are saying the entire brake needs to be replaced. Drums can be degreased while shoes get permiated and need to be replaced unless there is something I don't know. I would sure make every effort to demand the dealer, Dexter and/or Keystone cover this one. Malfunctioning seals or service error, not normal wear, seem to be the issue.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:24 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dexter did pay a good portion of my bill for replacement of all the brakes and seals. I called them after the job was done, explained the circumstances, they gave me a claim number, I sent them the bill they paid.They did indicate they had a limit of what they would pay... As I recall my total bill was @400.00 and they paid around 300.00. At the time the 3400 was about 1 1/2 years old and had about 12K miles on it. They did ask me those questions and may have pro rated the brakes..don't know??
Old 11-15-2007, 05:34 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Paying 75% on a wear item such as brakes after a yr and half and 12K seems reasonable to me. Hopefully the fix is better than the original.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:44 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well the dealer said that they put on "better brake shoes" than the OEM . I was satisfied with dexter but WILL have the brakes and seals inspected EVERY year from now on.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:12 PM   #9
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well on my 06 3000rk when we went in for axels after 7 months the repair dealer asked me the same as on 1 side the total drum was full of greas but on the other side there was no grease at all , how we never burned off the axel in the smokies i'll never know as he asked me if i greased that side , i looked at him and said i was a carpenter in my days and carpenters in the past days never greased anything , you waited till it broke , then fix it so keystone picked up the total bill as i have no cost of how much as they put on 2 sets of axels as the 1st set was the wrong size so the y did it all 2wice john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:21 PM   #10
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
If you have only had the Montana for a very few months, as stated. I believe that the dealer probably and some of the help there. pre grease the unit before you picked it up and greased it to much. A lot of dealers have summer students ''''GRUNTS''' and if they are told to grease the axels. THEY GREASE THE AXELS.... I would not believe it was your fault.
So after they replace your brakes prehaps you could should everyone the great job, by showing up in BRANSON, MO FOR THE GET TOGEATHER IN MAY 2008. REMEMBER BRANSON IS GREAT FOR 2008.

SAFE TRAVELS MY FRIEND John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:48 PM   #11
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
We still don't have the details, but Keystone has authorized the brake replacements and Travis did say the seals are always replaced when they repack the bearings. So, we don't yet know WHY there was grease in our brakes and we're just thankful we didn't have any problems in the Shendoahs, Smokies, or Ozarks this past summer. Thanks to everyone for information. Verle and Sue C
Old 11-16-2007, 04:54 PM   #12
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hemlockusa
[So after they replace your brakes prehaps you could should everyone the great job, by showing up in BRANSON, MO FOR THE GET TOGEATHER IN MAY 2008. REMEMBER BRANSON IS GREAT FOR 2008.

SAFE TRAVELS MY FRIEND John
Thanks, John, our first trip of 2008 will be to Branson, but not til the end of May . Unfortunately, Verle still has to work and there are training times they are not "allowed" to take vacation, so we couldn't take our trip until the end of May. I wish we could be there, so many wonderful people are on this forum we'd like to meet. Sue and Verle
Old 11-16-2007, 04:56 PM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Really glad you got a positive outcome to this issue.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 09:38 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Did any of you who had the grease in the brakes happen to try locking a wheel using the emergency brake lanyard? If so, did it lock the wheel or were you able to turn the wheel, even if it took some muscle? I'm wondering if this would be a quick way to check for grease on the drums and linings? I know all of mine lock up since I checked that recently but I still don't think the brakes are very good on this rig.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 12:50 PM   #15
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hi Steve, doubt very much that a static off ground wheel spin will tell if that 10k - 16k rig is gonna be stopped by greasy brakes! Maybe a dirt road skid test with a quick run out and sniff for grease odor?
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:19 PM   #16
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Verle and Sue

We still don't have the details, but Keystone has authorized the brake replacements and Travis did say the seals are always replaced when they repack the bearings. So, we don't yet know WHY there was grease in our brakes and we're just thankful we didn't have any problems in the Shendoahs, Smokies, or Ozarks this past summer. Thanks to everyone for information. Verle and Sue C
Great news, I am glad my opinion was wrong. Thanks Keystone for showing your colors.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:44 PM   #17
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Glad to hear everything worked out for you
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote