Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2007, 09:22 AM   #1
Montana_6822

M.O.C. #6822
Alaska

Hi I'm new to this game. I own a 2980RL Montana 2005, 5th wheel.The wife and I plan to take it to Alaska and back this summer, starting by the end of May.My concern is it may be to big for the mountain roads or the available camp sites along the way. I have a 05 Ford 250 Diesel 4x4 which pulls it quite nicely.I would appriciate any advice pertaining to this adventure. Jerry

Montana_6822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:26 AM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
welcome! I'm personally not able to answer your question as we've never been, but I'm sure someone here can.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Hi Jerry. Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place with your question.

We have a 3475rl and a One Ton Ford long bed and did not have any trouble anywhere to, from or in Alaska last year when we took that trip. We met a lot of Moc'ers up there that didn't have any problems either. It is one of the greatest trips we have ever been on and we can't wait to repeat it. Go and have a good time.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Gerald,
Welcome to the forum. We also were in Alaska in 2006 and thought the trip was wonderful. We were towing with a 1997 F250 PSD and had no issues. Honestly, we didn't notice too much difference in campgrounds on the way to or in Alaska. Maybe they were a little "less" in every way, a tad less finished in the bathrooms, a tad narrower, a tad shorter but our 38 foot trailer and F250 was just fine. Two things.........
Use the search feature on this forum and you will find several threads if you search for Alaska. Also, order the "Milepost" magazine. Otherwise, have a great trip!
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:42 AM   #5
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
We were also in Alaska this past summer. The trip was do-able pulling our 3670. My opinion, for what it is worth, I would not pull my unit there again. I traveled too many miles in a relative short period of time and would make the trip again with a truck camper. I found things definitely rough for a big unit, campgrounds were limited on full hookups, good electricity, water hookups, etc. I was mainly fishing and site-seeing and I could have accomplished what I wanted to do easier and better with a smaller unit.
If you tow your unit, be prepared to go slow to protect your unit, I had no problems what-so-ever, but it was slow on even the best road and you will definitely see some roads under repair.

Virgil, would you pull that big rig up there?
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:54 AM   #6
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Gerald, You have come to the right place for answers. We made the trip last summer. Definitely get The Milepost. Invaluable, but some of the info is not always correct as info is obtained up to two years before publication. We had no problems finding campgrounds. tThe only close call was in Dawson Creek when we got the last site in the CG, but there were others in town so we would have been ok. Watch you speed as it is posted in kilometers and 50kph is 35mph. We did the trip in 5 weeks, but I would recommend at least two months as we didn't see near enough and what we did see just wet our appetite to go again. Always fuel up when you hit the 1/2 mark. Plenty of fuel available, but it may be far between stations.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:59 AM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105

Welcome to the forum! We went to Alaska in 2005 (wow, it's almost time to go back!) and our unit is 38 feet long, almost. Alaska is wide open so few places are tight, as least where we were. Travel through Alaska is on a big scale....the landscape is big, facilities are farther apart, some parts of the road (Alaska highway) are remote, big cities are farther apart, but otherwise it is much the same as traveling in the lower 48. Take your time and enjoy it all.

The Milepost is a must and gives you detailed information on each of the routes to and in Alaska, sometimes describing things every mile or less apart. We kept the Milepost and our camera on the front seat between us for the entire trip. You never know when you'll come upon a young bear sitting next to the road eating daisies.

If you have time, be sure to visit the area around Banff. It's beautiful and we saw more wildlife there than in Alaska.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 08:06 AM   #8
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
We did the Alaska(trip of a lifetime)trip in May of '05 and stayed until July.Read everything you can to prepare yourself for this roadtrip! The Milepost is the Bible for this trip. Be sure to bring at least 2-6 gallon gas cans as backup because it will come in handy at some point.Canada is very expensive when it comes to nessessaties like smoking, drinking, and traveling.The roads are pretty good except when they are being repaired from the past winter. Drive slow and as far to the right as you can because the locals drive fast on these gravel roads and kick up large rocks that shatter windsheilds.The wildlife is abundant on the side of the road so have your camera ready.As for the scenery, it's breathtaking so take your pictures on your way up if the weather permits. We took lots of film on our way there and was glad we did because on the way back to the states we drove for four days in smokey conditions due to Alaska, Yukon, and northern BC on fire and visability was nil.Have a safe and memorable trip and experience everything you can afford and if you can't afford it -charge it and worry about it later.
madeforeachother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:16 PM   #9
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Quote:
quote:
Virgil, would you pull that big rig up there?

David,
I would probably take "this" unit up there again. Remember, it is a 1999 and because of the trouble we had on the 2006 trip, I had the suspension "beefed up" a little. Even so, I would add yet another leaf in my springs and increase the shackle length another couple inches. I probably would not take a new Big Sky up there.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:51 PM   #10
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Virgil, your rig is RVing on steriods. I got to come see it when we get back to Ga. I bet it's been pretty cool in Suches.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:23 PM   #11
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
We also have a 2980RL and toured Alaska last summer. We had no problems with the roads as long as you slow down when on the dirt roads (depending where you go). Canada has government campgrounds with no service but are great places for your rig. Let me know where you are going for sure and I can give you details.
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote