Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2007, 02:18 PM   #21
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
It's 90 feet long. look again.

Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #22
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Well I'm going to jump in here and defend KOA's. We have stayed at 3 or 4. One for several years (Petaluma, CA). They are a little more expensive than some but we have had no other problems with them. We like them. Maybe we've been lucky but we aren't going to count them out yet. If you ask, most have either a monthly rate or a stay 6 nights, get the 7th free (we got this at Williams, AZ). JMHO
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:52 PM   #23
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We only use them as a very last resort.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:09 PM   #24
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Some are OK, some are not, In most cases you know what you are going to get. A little too $$$. There has been a few times after dark We have been glad to see their sign. They are mainly for Families with kids & sometimes that's not the best for us tired old timers.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:43 PM   #25
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Last summer I booked a site at a KOA right outside of Philly.The week before I was to go I went to check out my site.I would have been hard pressed to get a pop-up in this site.It was that small.So I figured that they miss understood me on the phone.I went into the office and told them I have a 34 foot 5th wheel and do you really think I will be able to fit my rig in that spot????The guy said It might be a little tight but you should be ok.I told him yes it would be a great site if I was just bringing my Dodge.I cancelled.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:20 AM   #26
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
My situation here is unique in that KOA too over a RV Resort that we had stayed at for a few years. Naturally, there are corporate changes they make to improve profit. To raise profits in business, you do what it takes, raise rates, get the cheapest vendors, increase rental spaces if possible, (Smaller sites are the only option on this) these things are troublesome for us poo folk renting. I could barely justify the price in years past. People are bailing like Rats from a sinking ship. I have talked to at least 10 RV families that are either going inland, or over at the county park.
I have spent at least 3 hours in the past few days with the 'New' Internet provider that they have gone to just logging back in, after being dropped midway into posting or banking. I am saving this every two lines or so, I'll probably be dropped before I can post this....Grrrrr. Idiots. I had mail in the office from an insurance company they didn't notify us of that was critical, they just sat on it. Grrrrr. Idiots.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:16 AM   #27
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Ozz, we had planned to stay at "Destination RV Resort" on our trip to the Valley next week. We had a good experience on a previous visit. It was a bit expensive, compared to other parks, but it was of a quality that justified the cost. So... we planned to come back this year until we found out the bad news. [thanks for the alert!] And when I tried to find "the other park" on South Padre, the Cameron County website provided only one link: to the NEW KOA. Anyway, we won't be staying on South Padre. We may drive over for a day visit. I think the KOA there is taking advantage of a near monopoly and charging what the traffic will bear--looks like it may not bear as much as they think.

On a more general note. We have had pretty good experience with KOA over the years. It has never been our first choice, but in certain places we would go back to KOA. For example: Clayton, New Mexico. We've only stayed there a couple of times but the young family running it have been helpful and friendly (they were new owners a few years back). Buena Vista, Colorado KOA: we have stayed there several times. It borders on public lands and I can hike right out the door and up the steep foothills--reasonably priced and nice people running it. We do not stay there any longer as our daughter provides the best rates in the area--FREE in her yard. I started to mention two other KOA parks, but in recent years both have "dropped out" of the KOA network.

Bottom line: we always look for a better choice than KOA, but when there is none or when we know a specific KOA to be desirable, we've had good experiences in those places.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:43 AM   #28
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
We stay at the KOA in Kissimmee, Florida, often. It's nice and clean and yes there are kids there, the folks are very friendly and always come by to see how things are. Price? about the same as everything else in central Florida near the attractions. We are old but we don't mind kids, we have a nine year old who doesn't believe we are old, I am 69+ Mama will be 65 this year, we are off to Sea World next weekend and we will be in the KOA in Kissimmee, Slot #105 with a 12 pack of Bud Light long necks and a very active nine year old boy.......Pete
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:05 AM   #29
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
A positive for KOA, the Van Horn Texas is a shining star, the KOA Kafe is fun, food is not too bad, and the very nice couple that cooks and serves there are hard working, attentive and doing a difficult job in their later years.
The nice lady that runs it always is friendly, her son is on the local fire department.
I'm not really bashing the entire KOA chain, I'm just a bitter old fart sometimes.
BUT, I love all my MOC brothers and sisters..........
Ozz

A little Ozz edit;
I just want to say that I have met so many super people since I have been traveling, the bulk of these were Montana owners, some travelled to my home from far away, others I have met at different locations. I feel I have made closer relationships through the MOC than I had in the years I lived at the stick house. Maybe it's the commonality we all have.
I do Love my MOC friends. I just didn't want anyone to think I was being a smarty, I'm not that bright......
Ozz
Old 02-02-2007, 04:06 AM   #30
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We have not had any positive experiences in a KOA in our area, but they have stiff competition from the state parks here. If they really wanted to be competitive, they would make larger spaces for large RVs, but most prefer to cram them in as tight as they can get them. For that privilege, you get to pay at least $5 or more per night compared to the state parks. A couple of years ago we stayed at a KOA in Crescent City, CA. We could barely open the door without hitting the RV next door to us. The park itself has a gorgeous location in the redwoods, but they put cabins and tents in the wooded section and stuck the RVs crammed into an open field. That kind of thinking will not work for long. When we get to travel east we may find a different situation.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:33 AM   #31
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Ozz,
I was just wondering how you REALLY FEEL about your KOA and Internet service. Couldn't tell from your posts. Kidding. Hang in there! Have a brew or take a bike ride?!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:56 AM   #32
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Welllll, it is 5:00 somewhere.... and a nap is always an option.
Chris, I like the way you think! We would be a dangerous duo!
Old 02-02-2007, 06:24 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is not only KOA's. We pulled into Superstition Sunrise Rv park testerday. Beautiful park, 2 pools, huge rec area, activities that can keep you busy all day and most of the night.First thing we noticed was concertina wire strung on top on a 8 foot wall surrounding the resort .... guard shack, steel gate, everyone must wear name tags so you can be "identified" I have nick named it " firebase Sunrise" . Had a really bad time with the 3400, Could not fit into the first lot,, took 20 mins to shoehorn into this site once the guy across the street moved his car out of his drive way so we could run up on it. Very small lots and narrow streets.. most of the units are permanent 38 foot park models.
Our ladder hangs out over the cable box and the post that holds the phone connection is under the 3400. Had we known this we would never have been here..of course when we told them the size of our unit..they said..no problem. Lesson learned...never..never again pay up front..when the CG asks you to do that they must figure that when you get there you may not like what you see. Other than that we are happy campers.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:03 AM   #34
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Glad you got there safe.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:18 AM   #35
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I want to volunteer right now while everyone is in the OVER PRICED SITE MOOD. I have a few acre's in KANSAS and I could see my way clear to charge just say half HALF HALF HALF of what OZZ is talking about for a site (I could give you a site size 50' by 120' for a knock down blow out price of say $300.00 A MONTH. Half of what they want from OZZ next year. I would guarantee a gently Kansas breeze of say 30 to 40 mph, Coyote's for your evening pleasure.....OH heck for my MOC family I would go say 150.00 a month, I could throw some SALT in the pond and if you were blind folded, you would smell the salt water and think you were down in the valley.. OK, I suppose your not going to complain anymore are you... ho ho ho Later John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:39 AM   #36
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
John,
You forgot to mention the free chiggers that will go along with the site! LOL And the ragweed in August and September. (Reason I'm not in Kansas, Dorothy)
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:00 AM   #37
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Where are you, John? I could get you a spot here.......... You are quite a salesman, you make it sound pretty good.
Does Christa's Sun room come with a spot???
Old 02-02-2007, 10:08 AM   #38
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Ozz, It's 5:00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #39
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Back to the KOA situation. Just today I found that a large resort near Houston, Texas where we have stayed several times is no longer "Havens Landing" but is now a KOA. Do we see a trend here? Very possibly. "Destination RV Resort" in South Padre Island was a '5 star' superior RV park and so was "Havens Landing". Both have become KOA almost overnight.

At least prices have not changed at "Havens Landing." In fact, we are staying there next Friday and Saturday nights as we make our way down toward the Rio Grande Valley.

Interesting.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:24 AM   #40
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Ozz I know Del Rio isn't S.Padre, but after we left you we headed there to see Sandy's sister. American Camp Ground $150 per month plus electric, free wifi. Newly purchased and bundles of money being dumped into it. We can live with it at the price. Even had sun shine two days in a row. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote