Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2006, 06:51 AM   #1
Silverbird
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5622
Minnesota to Florida

Those that have traveled from the north - Minn. to Florida - what route is the best to go in winter? Is it fairly easy to find a campground as one travels around Florida in the month of Jan. or Feb? Thanks for the info.

Silverbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 01:51 PM   #2
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
The only caution I have ever heard or experienced was trying to move right around month end. Mahy of us get pension checks and or social security at that time and we tend to line up rent contracts and the like near month end. This caught us unawares one year in West Texas on our return to Phoenix from Mardi Gras. On the other hand, had we had the good sense to hang it up artound 3PM there would have been no problem.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:03 AM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Before we went fulltiming, we left Minnesota in the winter many times and headed to Floria. The first night we always spent in a motel after driving as far south as possible. Buy the time we got to Tennessee we were usually able to get rid of the pink stuff and take on water. We found most campgrounds open year round in that area but sometimes we needed to unhook from the outside water during the night. From then on we were able to slow down and continue south. We find campgrounds very easy to find in Florida as long as you are not trying to stay right on the coast. Prices very but are a lot higher than Texas or Arizona.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:53 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Finding a campground during the months of Jan. or Feb. in Florida depends on the length of your stay. If you are looking at a night or even a week or two may not be a problem. If you are considering a month or two that could be a problem. Most all campgrounds in Florida fill up during January and stay full through February and sites for extended stays can be difficult to find.

Can't help with the trip down.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:44 AM   #5
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
When we left MN last year, we stayed at friends and relatives until we hit the TN state line, so can't give you much help from MN to TN; however, that said, there are several really nice CGs in and around Nashville, TN. Most are reasonable, the only one not is the KOA in Nashville. We paid $65.00 for one night in October. Course, the KOA is only about a mile from the Grand Ole Opry, but it is too expensive for what you get. If you take I-75 there are several nice CGs in Georgia, both North and South of Atlanta. We have stayed in three different KOAs and they are all really nice. The owners are all really helpful really appreciate your business.

We drive straight through when we hit the Florida state line and we go all the way down to the SW tip of FL so can't really help there either.

We found out that the earlier you make your reservations the better. Like Glenn said, January and February aren't really good times to come unannounced and try to get an extended stay. Our park has the no vacancy sign out almost all of the month of January and February.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
Silverbird
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5622
What is the best route to take from Minn. to Florida in winter? Thanks for any advice.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:19 AM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Silverbird, I would take 94E out of Mpls to I-39 in Illinois at Rockford. You will only have one toll road that way and avoid Chicago intirely. At Champaign you have your choice of either I-57 or I-74. We like both routes and switch around. I-74 takes you around Indianapolis to I-65 and South to Louisville and Nashville.
I-57 goes straight down to Paducah then I-24 through Nashville. There is a great campground in Clarksville on I-24 that is owned by Minnesotians. At least it was about four years ago. By this time you should be able to get rid of all the pnk stuff and take your time going SE til you get to I-75. Atlanta can be a b---- but if it should be a Sat. or Sun. you are better off going right thru downtown instead of the bi-pass. I don't recommend it during the week though.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:29 AM   #8
Silverbird
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5622
Thanks adelmoll for the info - we have not been to Florida in over 35 years and at that time we lived in Penna.- so it should be "interesting". Christmas blessings to you.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:46 AM   #9
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
My advice would be to stay off I-65 thru Ky and Tenn if possible. That has to be the worse stretch of highway that I have driven on the last few years. There is a great cg in upper Mississippi called Memphis South if you happen to go that way. I'm just envious! Oh yeh, have a happy hoilday too.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 04:49 AM   #10
aljolleyjr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #65
Steve:
Glad I read your post. We are leaving Greenville next Wed., Dec. 27. We always go down I 75 but we were going to take I 71 over to Louisville and take I 65 to Montgomery and then take Rt. 231 to I 10 over I 75 and down that way. The reason I wanted to stay off I 75 is because of the heavy traffic especially thru Atlanta. Soooo, Just how bad is I 65 thru Ky. and Tenn?
aljolleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:33 PM   #11
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
You need to watch the last twenty to thirty miles of I 75 from Tifton to Valdosta. That stretch of highway is undoubtly the absolute worse stretch of highway I have ever had the displeasure to drive across. Nothing over 50MPH and at 50 I thought the Monty was going to be torn from the truck!!
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #12
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
On an email reply to aljollyjr, I explained the real rough I-65 thru Ky and Tenn. Some of this road is so bad at 70mph, we had our bedroom tv fall from the cabinet. Luckily it was held up by the cable and cord and didn't break the closet glass. This year when we traveled the same rte it wasn't as bad since I drove a max of 64mph. I guess I was supposed to slow down for more than one reason other than mpg's. As my signature says, we have time, so I don't race to get to the cg anymore! Oh, retirement, I should have done it years and years ago!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote