Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2006, 02:59 AM   #1
jimcar827
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4829
Passport America Members

Can any of you folks out there give me any info on Passport America?
Are they as good as they sound?
Carla and I are taking an extensive trip out west from Michigan in June, any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

jimcar827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:24 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
It seems that the consensus of opinion is that Passport America pays for itself after only 2 or 3 nights on the road. It is most useful for 2 or 3 night stays rather than month long stays because the discounts are only offered for two or three nights, as a rule. It's a good bargain when you're traveling.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:35 AM   #3
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
There have been numerous discussions on this topic but I agree with Judy. Most of us like it. Read the book closely. Restrictions vary widely. We, and several others, use Trailer Life to find out more about the park. Only once did we decide we wouldn't stay once we got there. We spent 6 nights coming to Texas to Florida, one in a state park but the other 5 cost a total of $56.00 (just checked our log)

I decided to look at the directory after re-reading your post. There are 16 parks in Michigan. For contrast there are about 200 in Florida. all I can say is try it. At $44 which is what I think it is, you haven't lost much and maybe gained a lot
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:03 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The above replies just about answers your questions so I thought I would add a few comments on how to save on some of those rates.

I would strongly suggest joining Passport America. Passport America member parks will give a 50% discount on their nightly rates. Each park has it's own conditions as to when and for how long the discount applies. These conditions can be found on either the Passport America website or in the Book you will get as a member. The cost to join is $44 per year but you can make that up the first week you are out camping. The second campground we stayed at after joining charged $40 per night, we stayed 4 nights at $20 per night. You do the math. Last spring we spent 6 nights at Elite Resorts near Ocala, Florida. The parks rate was $32.00 a night, we pay $16.00 dollars a night. That was a savings of $96.00.
If you do decide to join please reference the following number as it will get me a discount off of next years dues. #CW335639
Email me or send a Private Message if you would care for additional info.

The Good Sam Club is another good club. Good Sam members get a 10% discount at participating camps and Good Sam has other worth while programs you can join.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:09 PM   #5
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Send a message via Yahoo to dchafer
We saved over $400.00 in our travels last winter. We spent 10 days at Briacliffe Rv in Myrtle Beach at $40.00 per night and we paid $20.00. so that was 200 dollars right there U.S. too. I also signed up 2 friends and received 2-$10.. coupons on my next membership. They have lots of campgrounds to choose from. recently Campers World has a similar club but not much to choose from. so, for me it will be again the best for me ------ Passport America... more money for restaurants. lol
dchafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:47 AM   #6
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Another vote for PA. Most we have seen are just fine for overnight stops. Pays for itself very quickly.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:50 AM   #7
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Great program. We've had it for two years and are getting ready to renew for two more. We've usually recouped our expense in one week's camping.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:54 AM   #8
jimcar827
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4829
Thanks for all the advice folks. I received my Passport America catalog two days ago....loks good
Jim
jimcar827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:03 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good decision, Jim. We've been members for several years and usually recoup our fees in the first month of the year.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:04 AM   #10
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
We use PA primarily for overnight stops, and it saves quite a bit. We paid for our membership on our last trip by doing this. As others have mentioned, crosscheck with Trailer Life. Some of the Passport America CGs are not what you would call premium, although one of the nicest places we ever stayed was PA.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:34 AM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We recently held our southeast mini-rally at a PA campground that was rated #1 in Georgia and #25 in the nation. It's not a resort but the people there were so accomodating and the facilities were very nice. We are now at a new park in Pigeon Forge with PA rates during the week. It's adequate with new facilities and a ver helpful owner. We'll save $90.00 just on this stay.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 01:11 PM   #12
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Can't do anything but support what everyone else is saying. We've been on the road for about a month now and have already saved more than our membership costs. Be prepared to find a campground once in a while that has dropped it's affiliation with PA. Also, sometimes, we find that we only want to stay one night but all in all, it is a good value.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:32 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sometimes they are not the best and sometimes they are hard to find but we have never had a problem at any PA CG. We alwyas look for them first when traveling.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:27 PM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We've entered some Passport parks that do not honor Passport America members. They say that they have lost too much money. One of the parks was almost empty so they lost our business also, and Passport America lost a member.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:46 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Other memberships to check on are the Golden Age Pass from the National Parks system, and the COE (Corps of Engineers) CGs on ReserveAmerica.com. I am disabled so I will be eligible for the Golden Access Pass at Nat Parks. Many don't handle big rigs, but you have access to the Parks for a reduced rate (free for Golden Access).

I believe Glenn has the Golden Age Pass. Perhaps he could fill you in more on that.

We plan on the P/A and Good Sam memberships as our primary mode of camping on the move. The others mentioned above will come in handy at times.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:57 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree that some parks that give the PA discount are not the best. But you find the same situation in the Trailer Life and other directories. Then you find parks like Austin Lonestar. A highly rated park. And they give the PA discount. Or did when we spent time there in January 2004.

PA sends out quarterly updates listing parks newly giving the discount and those who have dropped it. But I usually forget to check the updates. So it is possible to get to one and find they no longer give the discount. That happened to us at Marble Falls, TX, back in March. That's the only time, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:17 PM   #17
dchafer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4203
Send a message via Yahoo to dchafer
I encountered a run down PA park that did not honour the discount and telephoned PA to advise them. They were very happy to hear that I would notify them of this. I would suggest if at all possible that if you run into a situation that they are in the book but dont honour it just let PA know. That is one way to keep our book accurate.
dchafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:02 PM   #18
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I find it strange that so many passport parks drop out, or have a lot of restrictions. I have been to many that said they no longer are passport parks .When you look in the park they are more than 3/4 empty.I think this year with the high fuel prices they will be looking for trailers. If they were passport and now they wont honor the card, I go into the office and try for the best price,sometimes it works .If they say no, then they see my dust as I pull out. I find the best thing is to call ahead and get all the yes and no problems taken care of before I arrive.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:02 PM   #19
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
We joined just before we went to the southeast mini-rally and saved much more than the $44 on that one trip.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 02:00 AM   #20
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I have been a member for 5 years, just signed up for another 3, I have used it when it was convinent on our travels. I am in a PA park at this time in Homassa Springs, Fla. As far as some parks not being full or up to par, that is their problem, not the fact they are a PA member. I have found parks that are not PA parks or any other membership that are not that nice, but it is nice to get a good discount when you stay somewhere for a couple of nights.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote