Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Anode Rod

Is it neccesary to have this anode rod in the water heater? I removed mine and put in an outside spigot to drain and flush the water tank. Is this a bad thing?

Dave

Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It could be. The anode rod is used in steel tanks to attract minerals that would otherwise cause damage to the sides of the tank. The anode rod basically eventually erodes as if sacrifices itself to protect the tank. If your tank comes with an anode rod, chances are high you should keep using it.

Depending on the condition of the water you plumb through it, it might have to be replaced more often. You should also check the condition of the anode rod every 6 months to a year as part of your hot water maintenance.

Now that I do my own hot water tank maintenance and recently drained the tank myself I found oodles of debris coming out of the tank. I suppose they were all minerals that could collect and cause damage. I had the anode rod replaced the last time I took the rig in for a checkup. There was so much crap in the tank I do not believe they drained it right, if at all. There also was no teflon tape around the plug. I trust a dealer, pay for a service and then don't check that the work was done - shame on me.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
After looking at where I posted this I see I am in the wrong section and I don't know how to fix this? Can it be done and if it can how?

Thanks
Dave
Old 11-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have changed my anode rod 2 times and it was eaten up pritty bad I cant emagin what a tank would look like if the rod wasnt installed.
12.00 for a rod is a lot cheaper than 1000.00 for a new water heater.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Thanks Art and Don, guess my idea was a good idea for the draining, but not for the good of the water heater. The rod will go back in for sure. This forum sure is informative, and very nice people. Glad to be a part of it.

Thanks again
Dave
Old 11-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I bought a new anode rod yesterday. Instead of the usual magnesium, it is zinc. Also has a drain petcock made on it. Not sure the drain will work long though, with all the crud that settles in the bottom of the tank.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I almost bought that rod with the drane petcock on it, but I got to thinking if any of that junk that brakes off to the tank could plug that valve up, and it will take an eterity to drane then, I'll just take a big socket and unscrew the rod and use that cleaning wand that camping world sells to flush out the tank real good.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I use the wand also and it works well. As Art said, pull the anode rod every 6 to 12 months and flush the tank. Replace the rod as needed.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:14 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

I almost bought that rod with the drane petcock on it, but I got to thinking if any of that junk that brakes off to the tank could plug that valve up, and it will take an eterity to drane then, I'll just take a big socket and unscrew the rod and use that cleaning wand that camping world sells to flush out the tank real good.
The one with the drain was cheaper here. They say the zinc is better? Not sure lasting longer is better in this case. Guess I'll see how it does.

We're heading north to East TX Monday. I have one of those plastic wands and hate the thing. If I get a chance while at the stick house, I intend to make one out of copper tubing.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Quote:

The one with the drain was cheaper here. They say the zinc is better? Not sure lasting longer is better in this case. Guess I'll see how it does.

Sounds good Will have a safe trip too.

We're heading north to East TX Monday. I have one of those plastic wands and hate the thing. If I get a chance while at the stick house, I intend to make one out of copper tubing.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:

I have changed my anode rod 2 times and it was eaten up pritty bad I cant emagin what a tank would look like if the rod wasnt installed.
12.00 for a rod is a lot cheaper than 1000.00 for a new water heater.
I had the opportunity to see the inside of a water heater that was used by a guy who said it wasn't necessary to keep putting new anodes in periodically. It wasn't a pretty sight. Almost all the bottom half of the inner lining was eaten through. Keep changing the anode!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote