Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
gem19562

M.O.C. #7287
Fantastic Fan & Swivel Recliners

Has anyone had a problem with their fantastic fan? Ours just quit working. We have 2 of them and the one in the kitchen quit. There does not seem to be any power to the switch or to the vent.
Also it seems every time we open our recliners another spring falls out.
I felt that with the quality of this trailer that the quality of the furniture and the flooring and the rest of it would be top notch. I guess not.

gem19562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:47 AM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
From the roof you can see a switch that closes when the cover is open. This is a plunger type switch that makes contact to ground when the cover is open (so the fan will run). Take a 7/16" wrench and turn the nut a bit and see if that does the trick.

Buy a Lazy Boy.g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:16 AM   #3
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
The quality of the Montana does not include the recliner,they are junk.Mine is on it's way out,they are impossible to clean.I'm in the process of replacing mine after 4 years,for a good one which many people have.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Fantastic Vent has the industries absolute best Tech Support. Contact Fantastic Vent at 800-521-0298. Ask for Tech Support.
Anyone that answers will be able to assist you but I personally like Bob Beratta.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
gem19562

M.O.C. #7287
Thank you for your replies. I will try your suggestion with the fan. I do agree that the quality of the trailer should not include the recliner, but mine is only 1 1/2 years old and only used maybe 6 weeks. Thought it should last a little longer than that
Old 05-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
For the Fantastic Fan you might first try switching the rain sensor off, that is the dark rocker switch in one corner of the fan. Either use a ladder or a broom stick. Switch it off then try the fan switch. As far as the recliners are concerned we tossed ours as soon as we got the rig home and put our Lazy Boys in the rig from the house. More comfortable and better built... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
In past posts some have replaced their recliners with a love seat. Just another option and something else I learned from this site!!
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
On your Fantastic fan, besides adjusting the switch, make sure the cover opens in the first place. If my trailer sits for a while it seems that the cover seems to get a little sticky and won't open preventing the fan to turn on. I had to get on my step ladder and manually but gently force it open because it seemed it stuck a little. I then cleaned the seal and the cover real good and haven't had any problem since.

When we first got our Monty it came with two recliners separated by a small table and table lamp. About our third time out I found screws sitting underneath the chairs. I realized Montana only puts the things together and does not manufacture everything in it but gets them from the respective suppliers.

With less than six months of using the rig, I turned over one of them to find that besides the screws being loose and having to fish some of them off the floor to reinstall them, that there were screws flat out missing! I turned the other one over and found the same thing, that it was missing different screws in different positions. This caused either chair to clunk and sway wrongly or the release lever for reclining didn't work most times, but in different ways. So I took the screws from one chair and made one whole and we just just avoided using the other one (now, it's dead weight). None of that fixed the reclining lever.

After returning from our trip, I drove straight home and removed the now incomplete chair and drove 35 miles to the dealer for a replacement - I had just gotten the 5er back after 7 weeks for a broken fridge - just in case the "repair" was gonna take so long and I did NOT want to leave my unit there again. He told me he'd have to contact Keystone/Montana for a recommendation. I shook my head but I understood that's the way it was gonna have to work.

Two days later he called and said it would take an unknown while for Keystone to send a replacement (if ever) and since this was the same dealer service manager that I hassled because of my 7 week fridge repair, he said, just come on back down with the other chair and he will replace them both with new chairs from some unit on his lot and he'd work with Keystone so I wouldn't have to. He would even let me pick out the replacement chairs myself within the color scheme of my rig.

I went down there and picked out two chairs that most likely matched and returned home. DW wife approved, too. It turned out, these recliners also had some slight additional features and the lever to recline the chairs were much better.

You must have gotten the same chairs that went bad on me - just kidding. You don't say how old your rig is, but reclining chairs are way better than what you describe and nothing should be falling out of them. You deserve better - request replacements especially if your rig is under warranty.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
The furniture they buy is the cheepest yhey can find to do the job of 2 chairs, you bought a 5th wheel , you got the furniture free , thats all of it including the bed , buy the stuff you are used to and give the rest to someone else , we always replace everything in the unit , mattress, dinette chairs living rm chairs and table , desk chair , what else , also the tires , now you have what you realy want ,,sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #10
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I had my fiver only a few weeks and screws were falling out of the recliner. Luckily this wasn't my first parade and I tend to carry all sorts of spare parts. I turned both recliners over and installed screws in places where there were holes but no screws. I put at least 10 screws in each recliner and tightened the rest. I haven't had a problem since. Yes low bidder gets the job on most everything in rvs. Not just Montanas they all are that way. I had several of S.O.B. RVS.

Oh seem that I remember Fantastic Fan have or had a lifetime warranty for what its worth.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #11
gem19562

M.O.C. #7287
My RV is only 1 1/2 years old and we have only used it for approximately 6 weeks total. I have tried all of the suggestions with the fantastic fan. I have had no success. There is no power to the switch on the wall. Since I first wrote on here I have replaced the lino with laminate wood and boy does it look nice. Eventually I will also figure out the fan.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The fantastic fan has a fuse. It is up by the fan. Check it to be sure it hasn't blown. It is a glass auto type fuse. I forget the amps.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:57 AM   #13
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Fuse is a 4amp slow burn. Just got finished working with my automatic and getting it repaired. Look at my thread on the fantastic fan on the repairs section (Ithink thats the one)
Rodney at Fantastic Fan is very good. You say you have no power at the wall section? The wall mount unit comes right off, it has a cover and then 4 screws hold it onto the wall. Montana uses a metal plate on mine to house the switches for the slide, ceiling fan and other switches. When you take the wall mount controller off the wall, it is connected to 3 wires by a quick release connector about 1 foot down the wire. You can pull the wiring right up through the hole where it was mounted, there was alot of slack. Test for power coming into the wall mount unit there.
If there is power to the connector, then issue is with the wall mount switch. Very easy replacement and Rodney at Fantastic fan will send you a free replacement. That is where they started with mine, thinking it was a thermostat gone bad in that wall mount switch.
Good luck.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:59 AM   #14
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Correction: Mountana Technical help and repairs section is where I posted my issue with this.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #15
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
In Feb 2007 I had 4 vertebraes fused in my neck and had to wear a neck brace that made it impossible to lay down in the bed. My wonderful husband and son brought one of the recliners into the house for me. I slept in it for 3 months. It was no worse for the wear. However, because they were so heavy we took them out of the Monty and have replaced them with light weight Euro style chairs and footstools. No regrets, except that I haven't had any takers on Craigs list for the old recliners.
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 06:22 PM   #16
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
No problems with our fantastic fan other than the vent cover is a little tight and needs some help opening at times. We solved the chair problem with some small wall hugger recliners.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:11 AM   #17
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We have a 2002 2955 recliners like new they must have been putting in better quality furnature back then.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #18
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Glenn is correct. Fantantic fan really stands behind their product. They are produced in Imlay City, Mi not far from us. We went there today with a burned out motor and cracked frame. They couldn't have been nicer and replaced everything with no questions asked.

I got a kick out of there company cars license plates. Fan 1, Fan 2, Fan 3--you get the picture.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:56 PM   #19
gem19562

M.O.C. #7287
Thanks to everyone for their help with my fantastic fan, but sadly it could not be fixed. On the brighter side I did call Fantastic Vent tech support and was amazed at the friendliness and the prompt reply to my request for help. They are sending me a new monitor and like you said,free of charge. What wonderful service.Thanks again