Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2009, 05:49 PM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
generator/ac problem

On the way to KY I was using my generator to run my a/c while we were dry camping. I have two 2000 in parallel. Worked fine for the 15K unit. I then turned it off and turned on the 13.5K unit in the bedroom. Heard the gens kick up but the a/c would not kick in. Turned the a/c off. Then I tried again and this time tripped the surge protector. Waited the 2+ minutes, reset the main breakers and the a/c breakers just to make sure and then tried again. This time I thought I would go back to the 15K unit to see what happened. When I turned it on, the was a clattering sound from the area my surge protector is in, which is about 1 foot from my panel behind a drawer. Shut the a/c off and tried again. Same results. So I ran my gen and turned on the tower fan I have.

What happened? I called SurgeGuard but the explanation was like Greek to me....well, actually I could have had a chance at understanding the Greek. The jist seemed to be that the clattering was caused by low voltage? I hesitate to try again unless I have an idea of what is going on. I have used these units a half dozen times for one or the other a/c.

Any ideas? Unfortunately, I have to left hands, but let's give it a shot.

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

Do you link the gens first, then start them and let them run before plugging in the power cord to the parallel box? Did you try and shut down both generators and restart them to reset them in case one of them tripped out, and then make sure they both had the eco-throttles turned to the off position?

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Like you described you should have been able to turn off the 15K AC, then turn on the 13K AC, but I would NOT run either Eco-throttle since the AC electrical demands are so high.

Having an overvoltage makes no sense unless the Eu2000s drove real hard when the second AC turned on. Maybe KTManiacs startup idea can help?

Hopefully some electrical help can explain these problems.

Another thing, if the surge protector goes bye-bye and shuts down can it get broken? I don't recall the recovery and failure possibilities with a surge protector when it does its job.

Good luck.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Ahh. Let me try this with the Eco-throttle off. I think it was on. While I had always started them by KTManiacs procedure before, this last time I did not. I had the power cord plugged in prior to starting the generators.

the surge protector did reset itself with no problems. So that part may be okay.

I will keep you posted. Will be able to try this in a day or so.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:42 AM   #5
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Try starting the A/C on low fan and after 4-5 minutes turn it to low cool.
But since your surge protector made a clatting sound you should again contact the manufacture of the surge protector....that's what my surge protector's web site states.
Ask if the noise is normal or not...
I would think that it's not normal.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:48 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Chattering from a surge protector is not good! Does all your power (including land power) go through the surge protector? If so, see if you get the same results. Surges come in two forms: from the source (like when two 110 lines cross, or one goes down and voltage goes to the other line) or when a device creates a surge from a short. In your case, my first suspect is the surge protector. They do get weaker with age, especially if they have been hit before or if there have been minor surges that may not have been enough to trip it, but weakened it none the less.

One way you could test is to use one of those 15 amp surge protectors sold for computers (can usually be had for $10) and plug it in between the generator and your trailer and by-pass the other surge protector. If it trips, you can rule out the other surge protector and look for other causes. Because the generator was running the other a/c unit without issues, yet wouldn't run it when you tried to go back to it, I really think the surge protector is the problem. Unless..... there was other stuff running, like the frige and/or micro wave.

Keep us posted on what you find out.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I did call the mfg on the clattering sound and was told that was the sound it made when there was a low voltage issue. My surge protector is hard wired into my rig and I have no problem when hooked up to CG power. I hope to be able to test the gens again with the ac this weekend or next. the procedure I will use is start the gens (with the eco throttle off), let them run for five minutes,
plug in the 5er and let run for 2 min and 16 sec (preset for power passage on the surge protector),
try some lights etc to make sure no problem,
I will then make sure no ac is turned on, I will put fridge on propane and turn off the hot water tank,
I will then try the 15K unit, if all is okay
I will turn off the 15K unit and try the 13.5K unit.

I will let you know what happens.