Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Left rear tail keeps blowing

the left rear tail lite is always broken as it looks like it gets wet but i can't find how,, any ideas sailer

sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:47 AM   #2
DonPd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4328
I don't have any real good ideas. You might want to use a hose and run some water on the lens to try and find out how the water is getting to the bulb. You might be able to see the path to the bulb. I don't think you need much water. The water might be coming from the A/C unit. The water from the unit is running down the RV into the lens.
DonPd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341
Hello Sailer- I had the same problem with our SOB TT,water would seep in between the red lense and white housing.The water would drip on the bulb and run down into the socket and cause corrosin eventually blowing the bulbs/both sides different times.

I pulled each lense and cleaned the sockets out,(trailer connector unplugged from the truck).I cleaned the bulb contacts with a very fine bronze bristle brush,I then put a thin film of G.E. dielectric compound in the socket and on the bulb contacts and put the bulbs in.I re-installed the red lenses back on the cleaned housings and ran a clear bead of silicon sealer the width of the lense about a 1/4 wide on top of the lense where it butts to the housing and down each side about 1.5 inches.This solved the problem.The dielectric compound should be available in any electronics store or Graingers.

I also use the compound in the truck connector socket and in the trailer pin connector holes.
2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote