Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2009, 11:54 AM   #21
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
UPDATE: JOB DONE!!

Montana 3280RL, 2001, ALKO Axles, 35 inch axle spread

Ordered my parts from www.esourcetrailerparts.com - best price I could find. I decided to just order the shackle parts, new bolts, nuts, and bushings. Came to $34. Shipping initially was $51 (!), and I thought that was a little high, so I called. I was referred to Lynn, who's first remark was "HOW MUCH???

Turns out they had just set up their website, and their supplier said to add a buck to each item - that should cover freight. Well, a buck freight for a bolt is a little steep, so she corrected the problems, and my freight was $7. Total = $41.00

Took us about 3 1/2 hours to do shackles on both sides. We ran into a problem getting the second shackle plate to go on after we passed the bolts thru the spring and the equalizer. The bolts went into the spring and equalizer ok, but they were at a slight angle, and the second shackle plate would not fit over the bolts - the bolts were too far apart. We resorted to wedging a couple of blocks of wood between the spring and the bottom of the frame, just above the point where the shackle bolt passes through the spring. Then we put a bottle jack underneath the equalizer and slowly raised the jack, pushing the ends of the bolts close enough together so that we could slip on the second shackle plate. We needed to do that on both the front and rear set of shackles on the passenger side.

Figuring out that little engineering problem cost us a good 45 minutes of experimenting, before we hit on the solution.

The worst shackle had less than 1/8 inch of metal left!! We did mine just in time!!

It took two of us, a pneumatic wrench, lots of 6X6 blocks for the frame, umpteen jacks (we had 6, that was plenty, but several needed jack oil to work - glad we found that out!), plus the usual box of socket wrenches etc.

It took as much time to set up each side of the trailer on blocks, so we felt safe underneath it, as it did to actually swap out the shackles.

TIP We found that a 1/4 inch X 6 inch socket extension fit the holes perfectly, and we used this to drive out the old bushings.

My thanks to Stiles and Noneck for the advice and photos - it helped immensely!

This forum is the greatest out there!

Al S.

skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #22
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Check out the post of 07/02/08 on this web site

http://rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseac...d/21609645.cfm
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:20 PM   #23
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Good job, skyguy. That certainly is one choice you can make. You basically restored the rig to OEM condition. It should last you about as long as the first shackles did.

For others who want to do more, the source you stated (www.esourcetrailerparts.com) also sells the Dexter EZ-Flex Kit for about $175, a good price for the kit. Personally, I prefer the brass bushings, wet bolts and heavy duty shackles.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #24
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Anyone have an idea on which kit I should buy for a 2002 3295RK? I am being lazy and don't want to go crawling under the Monty over in the storage facility. We are going to try and get ours done before the Lake Siskiyou rally.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:04 AM   #25
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
We have an appointment at a local suspension shop on May 4th for the EZ-Flex upgrade. Estimate includes 2 1/2 hours of work and to check the alignment of both axles. The bill will be around $600.00. Then we will be set for some serious traveling.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:23 AM   #26
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
A question for the folks that have performed the Dexter EZ-Flex upgrade, if the grease fitting are place to the outside of the trailer is there any problem greasing them without pulling the wheels?
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:16 AM   #27
jars
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1529
We have a 2007 Montana with Mor Ryde RE system on it. My son with air impact put the wet bolt system on in 2.5 hrs. It would take me a whole day then some.
Richard Smith Jars 1529
jars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:00 AM   #28
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Good for him..........and his youth. I just love to watch good work being done by others.

Rkassl, If you have a flexible rather than rigid connection on the end of your grease gun, the Zerks are accessible from the outside. At least on my 340 RLQ they are accessible without pulling the wheels off.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote