Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2009, 07:39 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Black Tank Flush (fixed)

Well folks here we go again. Last March and April we had to get a new black tank. Today I went out to dump and flush. I had noticed a tiny drip by where the sewer pipe comes out of the belly and thought it was just the flex coupling leaking a little bit. About half way through the flush I heard a pop and started getting tons of water flowing from the belly. I shut the flush off and it decreased. I proceeded to drop the belly pan and found that the flush had failed right at where it enters the black tank. It was like a yard sprinkler. Now I have to take the rig to Jackson for repairs and have no clue as to how long this evolution will take. Since it is Sunday and nobody is there I will have to wait till tomorrow to get a hold of them. The last time we had problems with the black tank it took 6 weeks to finish. This so sux. Will keep you informed as to what is going on... Dave and Betsy

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
update, just got the belly pan back on and as I was sliding the front piece back into place I looked over and the whole flushing unit was laying on the 2nd belly pan sheet under the black tank so that means no more flush till repairs are made. I just hope the inside check valve works on the tank so it doesn't dribble all over...
Old 02-02-2009, 02:00 AM   #3
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
That bites, Dave. Hope the dealer can get you right in and get it fixed. What next?!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:10 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dave,

I'll bet that when they worked on your tank they simply did not install the sprayer correctly. Can't they send out someone to fix what they probably messed up? It's such a pain to have to tow the thing into dealer all the time.

Later,

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:12 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Dang!
That's just plain crappy!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:59 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Just curious. How is the OEM flush attached to the tank? Screws? We have the after market flush, and they simply cut a hole (hole saw?) and screwed to tank sealing with RTV. Pity they don't mold a neck in the tanks for an optional flush spray that would just screw in. Sounds like a "crappy" situation to me!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:09 AM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
It looks like about a 1/2 or 3/4 inch hole with a 3 screw flange on the outside with some white sealant. It is now laying on the belly pan just rolling around...Dave
Old 02-02-2009, 08:43 AM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Well, we have to be up at Smallwood RV in Jackson, TN. tomorrow morning. So we will see what happens then. I talked to Team Montana today and they said take it in to Smallwood but that if it is to be a warranty on black tank install I may have to go back to CW in Savannah, Ga where the original black tank replacement was done. Wow, this the second spring I have had to change schedules because of that damn black tank... Dave
Old 02-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Dave, Did you find the three screws? Makes no sense that it could generate enough pressure to blow out of the black tank unless the tank became full.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
noneck, it didn't actually "blow out, it broke off. It looked like they didn't give it enough slack on the supply hose. When I dropped the belly panel it was a bit crooked, bent toward the supply. I started to put the front belly panel back up and I heard a "thud" and looked over at the end of the black tank. The whole sprayer had broken off flush with the tank. I had been leaking for some time and just got really bad yesterday so that is why I dropped the belly panel.It was a bit stinky as it had seeped gak into the belly pan. Leaving early in the morning for Smallwood RV in Jackson TN. Will probably be there a few days... Dave
Old 02-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Understand now...so flange still on tank, sheared off so c*&p oozed out. Guess that means they didn't pay attention to the location then just forced it to reach leading to your current situation and frustration. Sorry man.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:54 AM   #12
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Dave, I think you should call Camping World. Team Montana's answer doesn't make sense. Team Montana must have gave you the Ok to have the warranty work done in Savannah G. CW so why can't you take it to Camping World in Nashville? There is no way I would pull to Savannah to have it repaired. My next question is why so much problem with the black tanks. If I had to replace it again, I would look for another source for a Black Tank. I may be wrong but there has to be more than one source for Black Tanks. Good Luck. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
We just got back to Delaine and Lindy's place and the black tank flush is fixed and the Convection/Microwave oven replacement is on order. The new oven will be in Jackson in about a week and a half. I want to thank the folks at Smallwood RV in Jackson, TN. especially Jason the service manager and Shane the owner for getting this done so fast. When CW put in the new black tank last spring they put in a second vacuum breaker right at the flush on the tank. They are cheap plastic and it just finally levered itself off and broke. Smallwood ordered a new VB and after removing the broken end piece of the old VB with a heated stubby screwdriver they installed an elbow instead since that is what is supposed to be there. The new fitting is much stronger and now we have a spare VB in case the one behind the shower goes south. Still 95.00 an hour is painful... Dave