Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > House Keeping
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
Cleaning the Sink

Anybody know what the kitchen sink in the 2009s is made of? And how to clean it? We've had the new Monty for less than a months and coffee is already staining the sink. I'm afraid to use anything like softscrub unless I know for sure it won't damage the surface. Any ideas?

Carol

John and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
Wschep
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8810
I understand the coffee dilema. I use just a tad bit of bleach in the sink when I wash dishes and that is keeping the coffee stains at bay. We've been in our Monty for about a month also and I haven't had any coffee stains yet....AND my husband is a B I G coffee drinker -- like he roasts his own coffee beans and the coffee ends up very dark and very oily. The capful of bleach works like a charm.
Wschep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
I use the Clorox cleaner with bleach on the sink and the tub when it warrents it. I was reading on line on the Montana board (while I was searching for the schematics for or leaking water pipe) that it wasn't good to put bleach, chemicals etc in your sink, shower or toilet. Also, you aren't supposed to put soap in the toilet instead of the chemical treatment for the black tank.

Not sure what this could do to our black and grey tanks. Not trying to high jack your thread, just thought I would tell you what I read on the Montana website.

For you fulltimers/longtimers, have you heard that bleach hurts things? If so what can it do to the tanks?

I haven't seen any problems using the small amount of bleach, and I also use a brush that stays in a bathroom thingy for the brush with a little bit of bleach in it.

Colleen

PS Just a note, we weren't warned that the counters could split because of heat. I don't pour anything hot into the sink unless I have cold water in there first. Also, be careful about anything hot on the counter top. I have the coffee pot on a plastic cutting board in our 3400 RL.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:25 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Colleen

Any chance you could find the URL and post it here on the "no soap in the black tank" ????

I have used softscrub on my sink too, that said, remember I have an early 2004 which does not have that composite material.

I am no chemist, but, the little amounts of bleach you are talking about going into the tanks, just don't think it will be hurting anything, we are not talking about dumping gallons in there. BUT OHHHHHHHHHH, do remember that some suggest doing just that in your fresh water tank to clean it. I put bleach in there too, but, NOT GALLONS!! Maybe 6 ounces.

Remember, common sense will prove to be your best buddy here, just cause there is stuff on the net, and even tho it may be linked to from our Home Page, does not mean that ALL the info out there is TOTALLY correct.

What works for me, MAY NOT work for you, just read all those posts on mice. SIGH

And, yes, I do put soap and Calgon in the black tank, and rarely use the chemicals.

AS far as the 2009??? Is this the real Corian, or the composite sink, and have your read ALL the paper work that came with your unit? Sometimes the info is found buried in that stuff. SIGHHHH

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:00 AM   #5
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Carol,

I will try to find it later today and post the url. Might need some help though. Wanyne, tried teaching how to do that stuff, we will see if it stuck. It was interesting reading, almost a disclaimer on their part.

Colleen
Old 10-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #6
paperheart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7541
We just had our "08, 3400 in to Keystone and one of our questions was "how to get coffee stains out". I had used the recommended soft scrub and no luck. They suggested using Magic Eraser. I think they also said diluted bleach but -- I do not have the real coriane, just the fake. I didn't get a chance to try any of the remedies as out tailer went immediately to storage for the winter. But, those were their suggestions.
paperheart
paperheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:39 AM   #7
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Paperheart,

Not sure I would use the Magic Eraser on the fake stuff. The ME is just like using a 3M pad, it will take off the top layer of what ever you are scubbing on. It doesn't scratch it like a brillo pad, but it will erase things on what you are scrubbing on.

Will try to find the info I posted about yesterday tonight. I don't have PDF capability on my computer. Hubby was busy last night on his once we got in.

Colleen
Old 10-30-2008, 03:42 PM   #8
John and Carol
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6294
If we shouldn't put bleach in the gray or black tanks, how do we empty the fresh water tank after we sanitize it with bleach?

I used bleach on the sink in the 2003, but in the end the sink was too stained or damaged for the bleach to work. I mix a small amount of bleach with water in a spray bottle. We have used that to clean up after mice got into the cabinets and drawers and I also use it on the sink and coffee cups. I will keep using it on the sink, as well as softscrub, I guess.

Yesterday I sorted all the paperwork on the new Monty and found nothing on the sink or countertops. I researched Corian for the counters. They have a Corian label. The bathroom sink is made of Corian. But not the kitchen sink. It is something white.
John and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 04:00 PM   #9
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We have an early 2008 with the older style sink in it and my wife found that baking soda cleans the stain out of the sink.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:41 AM   #10
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
I have an older fiberglass sink. I have used Barkeepers Friend, it is a powder. Also, I use bleach periodically. and the Magic Eraser, but Wal-Marts brand, I think it works better than Mr. Clean. When we put the Borax and detergent in the sink after dumping the tanks ( I fill it to get all to dissolve, that cleans it also. I use a kitchen sanitizer, like Lysol on countertops and the sink when I do any chicken (even with a cutting board, when I rinse chicken it gets on the counter) or other raw meats, and just for general cleaning. I do not have corian tho. Judy
Judy
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
You may find this article interesting:

Texas RV Travel Blog on Black and Gray Water Holding Tank Maintenance.

I don't think you will go wrong on using the bleach. I would put some on a rag and use it in an inconspicuous area to see what the results would be.

The blog linked above tells about water softeners, detergents, and beach for your tanks.

edited: p.s., for the sink stains, I'd use a diluted bleach solution.

TEST TEST TEST - Not responsible for results.

I found the information searching on the words: soap in black tank.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Comments on the page that Waynem sent you to, first the quote, then my 10 cents worth (inflation, don't cha know! )

Article: "Never put regular toilet tissue in your RV’s black tank. Only use toilet tissue which is approved for RV and/or septic tank use. Regular toilet tissue may eventually dissolve, but not before causing a clog in your black tank."

Carol: I'll go half way on this one, never use the tp which is sold for RV's. Dang that stuff is expensive and it used to be NASTY smelling. What a way to flush your cash. Literally. Be careful with septic tank approved tp too, do that ole piece of tp in the glass of water test. Does it disolve? Yes, enjoy. No, look down the grocery aisle for something different. Angel soft has been touted here. But, don't take our word for it, try the test yourself. If nothing else, you will be educated.

Article: "Occasionally traveling with partially filled wastewater tanks containing softened water and detergent promotes cleaning by agitating the water. The same goes for chlorine bleach."

Carol: The key word here is PARTIALLY. Personally, even the word partially gives me cause. Less than 5 gallons of water will slosh around down there quite well. It is our opinion, to travel with much more water than that, well, is risky.

Article: "WATER, WATER, WATER - and more water!"

Carol: To that I say AMEN AMEN and AMEN, may I add, LESS PAPER, LESS PAPER and LESS PAPER.

Article: "Occasionally, I pour a half gallon of liquid bleach into each tank to deodorize, sanitize and disinfect them."

Carol: Why?? First, I personally would never dump that much bleach in a 38 gallon tank. Next, if the Geo system is working, and believe me, it does, then you should not need all this bleach down there.

Carol: The only time we use the toilet chemicals is during the really hot weather, when we are sitting for 10 to 15 days in a electric only campsite, semi dry camping. I am talking when it is 85 to 100, and especially if you happen to be on a ashphalt site (it reflects the heat back up, in my opinion). When we depart said campsite, we dump, AND: if it is possible we run another partial tank of water INTO the black tank, and then dump that. NOW add a few gallons of fresh water, the Calgon (I use the liquid, add a few capfuls, per tank, and no need to dissolve it), a bit of laundry soap in the black tank, maybe a capful of liquid concentrated version, and maybe a 1/2 cup of bleach to the black tank. I only use the toilet chemicals if I am forced to, and you will know when it is time to capitulate, eh??

I will follow that paragraph with this from the Article:

"CAUTION should be used when mixing chemicals."

If you don't boondock, or sit in campsites with limited services the Geo system works fabulously, with MORE water, LESS paper, shall we repeat, nahhh, you all have heard my rants about this lots of times!!

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote