Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2008, 08:52 AM   #1
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
I cant find it!

Hi,

I have been reading all the winterizing posts and have a good understanding of what needs to be done. Problem is there are things on my Mountaineer I cant figure out.

When we took delivery, the guy was very good at explaining about the different things on the trailer. He mentioned two plastic hoses that extend out of the basement on the right side of the trailer just ahead of the water heater. I was in a mild psycotic state at the time and do not remember what he was talking about. I know they are a drain and when I unscrewed the caps, about a cup of water came out. What are these and what do I do with them.

Then, My friend explains to empty the fresh water tank by opening the drain under neath the trailer and his is near the spare tire (he has SOB). I have looked and read the manual and looked all through the Keystone site and find nothing about this.

And my last item is about the water heater bypass. I see on theone package, it tells me I have a hot water bypass. Cant seem to find that either anywhere near the hot water heater.

Anyone familier with the 08 285 RLD that can point me in some direction. I guess if all else fails, I can ask the dealer...

Thanks

Steve

sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I can answer your question generally. Those two plastic hoses are the low water drain points for hot and cold water.
I recommend blowing out all the lines or pumping antifreeze into the lines.
First, turn off you hot water heater at the outside (black switch) and put the pin in so it does not accidentally get turned on.
Second I would pull the Anode rod out of the hot water heater and drain it. Be careful if it is still hot.
Open the two low point drains and and then open all the faucets that means the single handle need to be in the middle. This should allow the water to drain out and air to enter the lines.
Reference the fresh water tank. Find where you fill it and look under the unit. There should be a third pipe just like the two low points. Remove the cap and let it drain.
Now you need to decide if you are going to blow out the lines and or pump antifreeze in. I did both on mine.
Hopefully someone with your model will help you find you fresh water drain.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:54 AM   #3
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
A couple of additions to John's advice. Before you pull that anode rod out, be sure to relieve the pressure in the water heater - either turn on a faucet inside or open the pressure relief valve in the outside compartment. Otherwise you will get a surprise. I speak from experience!! Also you need to find that water heater bypass if you are going to add antifreeze to the lines. It prevents it from getting in the tank and saves you $$. It may be a shutoff valve in the water line going into and right before the water heater. It will be a valve which diverts the water around the water heater. It may also be a valve in your "control panel" if you have one - where all the connections (water, electric, etc.) are centrally located. You could always call your dealer or salesperson, also.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:35 AM   #4
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
By just letting the water drain and by blowing out the system you DO NOT remove the water from the pump. Some say it will not hurt it but I pump antifreeze through the system and there for fill the pump with antifreeze and get rid of water that could freeze,like faucets and things. Also don't forget if you have a washer to do those hoses also. And don't forget ALL the traps.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
On our 03 Mountaineer the hot water tank bipass is under the cabinet and in back of the water heater. It is well hidden but if you run your fingers along all the lines you will feel it. It only turns 90 degrees. I also found that getting to the plumbing on our trailer to winterize was not easy to reach so I just dump in two gallons of RV antifreeze, lower the front of the trailer and then fill all the lines until only pink comes out. Don't forget the shower and the outside shower if you have one.

I do have to flush out the water tank several times to get rid of all the pink stuff but we don't drink or cook with the water in the tank anyway.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:59 AM   #6
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I don't have a Mountaineer but on our Montana 2955, to find the water heater by-pass you have to take out a couple of drawers to see down in the bottom of the compartment. A pi lite flashlight works good to see down in there also. It is right at the bottom of the water heater. Hope this helps...JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:16 PM   #7
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
If you send me an email, I have gathered a comprehensive winterizing checklist thanks to previous years of MOC learning and good tips from service techs. I would be happy to share it.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote