Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2008, 06:37 AM   #61
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Camp Bud,
When i called Dometic I tried to get authorization for mobile service. No dice. Since the trailer was "mobile" I could just drop it by a service center. I will be using a mobile tech who I confirmed was on their approved list, which means he will bill Dometic for the parts and labor, but I will have to pay the service call (trip charge). I have a couple other things for him anyway, so it is all ok by me.

Gene

genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #62
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I think we are better off NOT calling Dometic. When I first learned of this recall, I clicked on the link, found I was on the list, put in my zip code and got the number of the closest mobil repair guy. Called him, he said fine and we made an appointment. As an after thought, I called Dometic to double check the recall. That lady verified I was on the recall list, but wanted me to wait for five work days for an "authorization." I told her that I was already scheduled with a repair service and that if I had not even called her, and proceeded on the internet information only, it would be done before her five days had passed. She put me on hold, and when she came back on the line said to go ahead and have it done.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:28 AM   #63
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
We escaped the first recall but our unit was on this second one. I just had the repair done yesterday it consists of a relay to shut off the gas valve if flame is detected outside of the burner assembly or flue and an additional heat shield around the flue. Total time about 20 minutes to install. Dometic has not been up to speed on getting the information out to the repair centers. When I initially tried to set up an appointment for the repair the repair center that was closest to me had not heard of the second recall notice. I provided them a copy of it yesterday.

Jack
Old 06-01-2008, 02:30 PM   #64
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tom, I would think the repair people would have to confirm the fridge is on the list in order to get paid for the service. I'd think so, anyhow. That's strange they wanted you to wait. I'm glad I didn't call them, I just did the internet thing like you did and got ours taken care of.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #65
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
This doesn't surprise me much. I received a recall notice in the mail, for the first recall (which our unit wasn't included) about a month ago. On top of that, it doesn't seem that the information on this latest recall has gotten out to the repair facilities either because when I called about our refer that was included in the second recall they had not heard of it. It is on the NHTSA site. Thank goodness for the MOC....no telling when or if I will receive a notice from Dometic on this latest recall.

Jack
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

I think we are better off NOT calling Dometic. When I first learned of this recall, I clicked on the link, found I was on the list, put in my zip code and got the number of the closest mobil repair guy. Called him, he said fine and we made an appointment. As an after thought, I called Dometic to double check the recall. That lady verified I was on the recall list, but wanted me to wait for five work days for an "authorization." I told her that I was already scheduled with a repair service and that if I had not even called her, and proceeded on the internet information only, it would be done before her five days had passed. She put me on hold, and when she came back on the line said to go ahead and have it done.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #66
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
We haven't gotten a letter from Dometic but I looked up our number and found out that it was in the recall. put in a zip code and there was a mobile service listed. Called him and he was out after it wasn't raining (it was raining for two days)and got it fixed. He also found out that the circuit board had a problem so he came back and replaced that today. He said that Dometic paid them good to come out and fix these.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #67
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We've been waiting for weeks now for Dometic to find and approve a mobile repair service to come out and repair our frig. They just can't believe that there isn't at least one RV dealer who is authorized to do this work in Seward (a town of less than 3,000). They finally found someone, but he wants $450 for gas to drive here and back to Anchorage. Not bad considering the price of gas right now. So we sit and we wait.

Our dealer has the parts and said if Dometic would approve it, they'd send us the parts and Bernie could install it. Dometic refused sighting the Feds. This is a 15 - 30 minute repair. Our dealer is comfortable with Bernie doing the repair. Bernie is comfortable doing the repair. But we sit and we wait for Dometic. And wait. And wait.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:40 AM   #68
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
I checked and we're on the list too. What a pain, I wish Dometic would send all of us a gas card for having to haul our rigs to the dealer, besides the inconvenience (I'm trying to get her ready for our retirement trip to Alaska) it's going to cost around $100 in gas. Just a thought. Stacy
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:22 PM   #69
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Yes...as others have indicated this is a Dometic liability "fix". Issue is with the electric element port failing and releasing NH4 into the LP Burner tube. Parts installed are;
1) Flame fusable link that opens solenoid circuit (closes LP valve)
2) Thermal Snap switch monitors burner tube temp in series with #1, same purpose (closes LP valve)
3) Bunch of tin to wrap around fire zone as containment keeping #1 & #2 within the new box
**Note: During install one has to work around the electric element and inevitably bump and/or disturb it, which could accelerate a failure event.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:21 PM   #70
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I understood Dometic to get authorization if they were sending a tech to you. Ours took about 3-5 days to be approved. We were not having problems with it but did shut off the gas as recommended. The tech came out and fixed it. It was nice not having to haul the unit in as an authorized dealer was so far away.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:53 AM   #71
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
It now looks like this link: http://www.dometicusa.com/recall.php that Tom posted is no longer working. Is anyone else having a problem going to the link?
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #72
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Try this link:

http://www2.dometicusa.com/recall.php

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #73
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Thanks Michael, this one works OK.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:53 AM   #74
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The Dometic site is www.edometic.com you can go to warranty claims through there.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:37 AM   #75
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Our frig and Potvin's are on the recall also. Mine is at the dealer now. Getting a new black tank and the water heater gas flange replaced.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote