Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2009, 07:41 PM   #1
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Blowing GFI circuit in my shop

We just got the 5er home from a refigerator repair job and I thought I would plug in the trailer to keep the batteries charged. This is the same plugin that we always use and the GFI popped. After the third round I shut off all the breakers in the coach and started turning them on one at a time. I get to the refrigerator switch and pop. Hummm, the frige was just worked on and now a problem with that circuit. Back to the dealer with the trailer. After an hour and a half the mechanic took the cover off an electrical box just under and to the rear of the big slide. It was full of water. When I plugged the trailer in the front was real low and the water in that box shorted and blew the GFI. If I would have had the trailer level front to back it never would have shorted. The guy sealed the box and hopefully it won't happen again. Apparently the breaker in the coach labeled refrigerator runs more than just the frig. It also powers the lights and plugins in the slide.

Moral of the story, If you have an electrical problem after pulling in really wet weather with lots of slush on the road check that box.

clutch is offline   Reply With Quote