Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2019, 07:15 AM   #1
Timberdoodle

M.O.C. #18244
Extended warranty....good idea or rip off

Purchased extended warranty with new 3402RL. Covered a/c replacement, black water tank replace and toilet replace no problem. However, when I experienced issues with suspension I have been having a rough time. Tires wearing and Hawk Frame and Axle in Fairport, NY says the axles and springs are fatigued and they cannot align it without replacing both axles and springs along with the Morryde shear blocks. Anybody else have suspension issues on their Montanas? Extended warranty purchased thru Good Sam is not willing to fix axles.

Timberdoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:31 AM   #2
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Was the extended warrenty a so called bumper to bumper? Everything that is covered and not covered is spelled out in your extending warranty contract.
I'd get a second opinon from a different shop..Sounds like they are trying to screw you and your insurance company. Something doesn't sound right..I never heard of an axle having to be replaced due to fatigue. Bent or broken yes..fatigued no..
Old 08-13-2019, 07:41 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Have never had suspension issues on any of our Montana units. Have never had to have them aligned, or have spring replacements.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:49 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I would for sure get a second opinion. I also have heard of lots of things going wrong with the suspension, but fatigue would be a new one. Also, Good Sam extended warranties have a lot of exclusions. Recent reports on Camping World by stock analysts put them amongst Camping World bigest profit centers.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:46 AM   #5
Timberdoodle

M.O.C. #18244
I suspect you are spot on. Thanks
Old 08-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #6
Timberdoodle

M.O.C. #18244
Thanks
Old 08-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
First they are not extended warranties they are service contracts that should clearly define what is or is not covered. We have used the since 2006 with no problems with coverage of stated covered items. We did go to the Mor Ryde IS on both our Montana's early on as we saw the suspension as the weakest point on these Montana's
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:37 PM   #8
jking
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20361
Hey doodle, I bought a 2014 3402rl that looked like zero use. And I have had zero issues. We have only towed it less than 4K miles but we live in it full time and it has been great.
2017 Ram 3500 6.7 ctd. 4x4 srw
jking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 06:40 PM   #9
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberdoodle View Post
Purchased extended warranty with new 3402RL. Covered a/c replacement, black water tank replace and toilet replace no problem. However, when I experienced issues with suspension I have been having a rough time. Tires wearing and Hawk Frame and Axle in Fairport, NY says the axles and springs are fatigued and they cannot align it without replacing both axles and springs along with the Morryde shear blocks. Anybody else have suspension issues on their Montanas? Extended warranty purchased thru Good Sam is not willing to fix axles.

It is only my .02 cents, but an extended warranty on an RV is a waste of time and money. A good friend of mine purchased an extended service contract with a new 5er and when his floor rotted away because of poor quality workmanship, he was denied. Because buried in the contract was a clause saying it must be returned to the dealership for inspection every 6 months. Total BS

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:13 PM   #10
saber707
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17531
I do believe in extended warranties. However, when a wall stud broke loose from the base plate next to a slide out (2 years old), the dealer said that they would contact the manufacturer and see if they would cover the repair. I said well thank goodness I have the extended "bumper to bumper' if the don't ok it. He laughed and said oh that particular circumstance is not covered. I replied, "oh silly me, to think that a $3,000 "bumper to bumper warranty actually meant that. Thank goodness the manufacturer paid for it. I tell you, it's hard to stay a civil human being nowadays.
saber707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:20 PM   #11
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
This is why you need to know exactly what is covered and what is not covered.

For me, even with the issues I've had over the years, extended warranties are a waste of money.

If trailer is still in warranty period get montana to deal with it. I would not expect the 'extended warranty' to deal with anything while under a manufacturer warranty.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:34 PM   #12
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Just like any 'insurance' plan, it is a gamble on whether you or the company will win out. Timberdoodle states in the first post that this is following an AC, black tank and toilet replacement. Figuring close to a thousand each for the AC and black tank, probably close to two hundred for the toilet, I'd say that Timberdoodle is pretty close to getting his premium back in work covered.

Doesn't make this current issue any less tolerable but I'm fairly risk adverse. I see an extended warranty/service/maintenance agreement as a form of insurance. Hopefully I don't need to use it, but when I do, I'm glad for it.

Finally, Timberdoodle, I'm like several others who've posted above. I've never heard of an axle being fatigued. If possible have another shop check it out. You might also contact the maker of the axle/springs (Dexter or Lippert) and see if they are still under warranty. You will need the data from the information tag on the axles themselves - means crawling underneath and getting the information. A camera makes it a lot easier.

Sorry for the longer post and hope this helps.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:50 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are long timers which means we do a lot of miles and spend a lot of time living in our Montana's. We have had service contracts on both our Montana's since 2006.

It is important that you clearly understand the terms and conditions of the contract and what it does and does not cover. It should be a exclusionary contract that will clearly state terms, conditions and what it does and does not cover.If you are not clear on the contract take it to a trusted insurance agent or a attorney who can interpret the contract for you.Be certain you understand the contract before you purchase it.

Remember these are not extended warranties but service contracts that cover clearly stated items.

We have used the service contracts several times on both Montana's with never a problem in terms of repair and payment.

One more time it is critical that you clearly understand the terms and conditions of the service contract.

One more time they are NOT extended warranties but service contracts that cover clearly stated items.

BTW it is clearly stated in any service contract that we have ever seen that the service contract does not cover any item that is covered by the manufacturer or any other insurance policy

Understand the service contract. Abide by the terms and conditions and you
will be good.

We would not leave home without one.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:01 PM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Read and understand what Rich said then if you wont or need an extend service contact get one.
As for me no thanks, I’ll take my chances and cover it myself.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:11 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I can not fix anything wish I could but I just can't and never could.Now that I am old and decrypted it is even worse.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:01 PM   #16
prodhair

M.O.C. #21566
Extended warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberdoodle View Post
I have heard several negatives regarding Good Sam warranties, I had Easycare and they covered my Morryde hangers and springs that wore out, but not the other two I replaced so that everything was balanced, I was ok with that. They covered slide mechanical issues, refrigerator, toilet and sink faucet. They even covered the mobile repair trip cost. The way these manufactures are building these things now I wouldn't go without one.
prodhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:22 PM   #17
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Had them 3 times and never used one for anything. Last 3 Montanas never needed and glad I did not buy.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:48 PM   #18
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I bought one with my 2012. It cost $1600 and covered over $10,000 in repairs (can you say refrigerator?). So when it expired, I re-upped for now $1,800. It has covered $2,000 in repairs in the first two years. The rest will be gravy if anything else happens (and I am sure it will)

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:34 PM   #19
Freemont
Established Member

M.O.C. #24625
Axel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking View Post
Hey doodle, I bought a 2014 3402rl that looked like zero use. And I have had zero issues. We have only towed it less than 4K miles but we live in it full time and it has been great.
Bought 2014 3402RL in 2017 Broke two spings last year, drivers side, each axel. Got Mory ride IS last fall. New hot water heater in Feb. Self insured.
Freemont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:51 PM   #20
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
I bought one (Wholesale Warranties) and it has more than paid for itself. All of my claims were promptly approved and paid. I fulltime and wouldn’t be without one.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote