Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2005, 12:47 PM   #1
DavesDmax
Established Member

M.O.C. #3865
Does anyone have an RVQ on their Monty?

On our TT, it came with an RVQ gas grill as an option. We have found that this little jewel is an excellent thing to have for those that want something a little more than a table top grill, (Which we had for our Pop-up). Ours is a 10,000 BTU unit. I read in Highways mag that RVQ just came out with an RVQ II, which also has a griddle, larger grill area and a 12,000 BTU burner.

I just wanted to know if there were anybody out there that had one put on their Monty? I noticed that it is not a factory option.

We will definately have one installed on ours when ordered.

DavesDmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 04:40 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Don't have one, how does it mount?? is it close to the sides of the rig??? would the heat do any damage to the fiberglass sides???

Anyone have a URL for this so we can have a look see??
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:27 PM   #3
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
I just wanted to know if there were anybody out there that had one put on their Monty? I noticed that it is not a factory option

This is the first I've ever heard of it. So.... does anyone have a pic to look at? It's sounds like something we may be interested in. Where on the Monty is it located?
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:56 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Camping World has them as a "online or catalog only" item. $171.00. When we were RV shopping a couple of units had them. A bracket screws onto the outside of the Rig then the BBQ slides into the bracker when you set up. Carol, your question about damaging the finish is a good one. I would want to be assured it would not before spending $171.00.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:30 PM   #5
DavesDmax
Established Member

M.O.C. #3865
Wow! I didn't know that they were that rare!

OK, to help you guys out, The RVQ is a portable, (kind of), grill that attaches to a bracket, (more like a guide rail), that is mounted to the side of the coach. The grill and bracket that hold the grill is removable, along with the fuel hose that connects to a quick disconnect under the coach, (each quick disconnect has a check valve and ball valve for isolation), the other disconnect is on the grill at the burner control.

The bracket just interlocks with the guide rail on the trailer, (doesn't slide, you tilt it into place, type of catch). The bracket is shaped like a big "L" that's upside down. It sticks down about 18-24" below the guide rail and has big rubber pads to prevent touching of the trailer sidewall. The grill sits on a frame created by bracket. The grill sits about 12-16" away from the coach's sidewall. I've never measured exactly but I can tell you that it is far enough away that the sidewall does not get warm at all.

The grille's fuel source comes from the coach's Propane system. One has to have the appropriate plumbing installed to their rig. Of course, you could use a 20# cylinder if you wanted, but there are plenty of other options out there if that is what you want. The RVQ was a factory installed option on our Trail-Lite.

When not in use, the grill, bracket, and hose is stored in it's own carrying bag, (very heavy nylon with a strap, like you're going to use it some where else). Our's lives in the cargo compartment when not being used.

We like it very much as it provides gas grill convenience and is very easy to maintain. Plus it is mounted next to our forward door, (remember we don't have a monty yet), and is not in the way of anything. Also, for you folks worrying about the awning, we've had no problems with flame up's from the grill damaging the awning, (I would know, I've tried).

As long as you don't have a large family, it is handy, I forget the size but you can do 8 burgers or 4 good sized Rib-eyes without a problem. It has a 10,000 BTU burner with High-Med-Low control.

We first saw this grill on some large Hi-end Class A's a few years ago and thought they were really nice. Then we saw it being featured on an RV/Camping show. After that there was no doubt I was going to get one. Like I said before, we have one of those table top jobs, with the little 5# cans off of the side and found that they have tough heat control, and are a bear to clean. With the RVQ, I just put the grill and flame tamer/flare-up preventer over a camp fire to clean the grease off. The tub I can just wipe out with some windex and paper towels and it's done. You don't even have to do that if you're lazy. It just sits on the trailer waiting for it's next use. On our last night of camping, I just do the clean trick, toss it back in its storage bag and back into the cargo hold for the next time. It takes longer for me to put the awning up...

The only thing I can see as far as use on the Monty is the addition of fuel line and where to mount the guide rail. Our Trail-Lite uses the same construction as the Monty, just that the sidewalls are only 1.5"

Honest guys, it really is a way cool thing to have while camping. We grill all year round in Ohio, so we love it. If it was only a so-so or less product, I would not even think about recommending it. Now, if you have to have the charcoal or wood fire to call it grilled, this is not a must have to add to the camping arsenal of equipment.

I hope that explains what an RVQ is. Next time you're walking around the campground take a look for them and ask the owners what they think. I hope that helps.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:40 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

Don't have one, how does it mount?? is it close to the sides of the rig??? would the heat do any damage to the fiberglass sides???

Anyone have a URL for this so we can have a look see??
How's this....

or even better
RVQ Grill
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 01:52 PM   #7
DavesDmax
Established Member

M.O.C. #3865
Yes, it looks just like that. Except the picture has been flipped. The burner control is on the right side and I don't think it is reversible.

Thanks Glen!

So I can safely say we will be breaking new ground when we have one added to our Monty when we order one?
Old 07-19-2005, 02:08 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Not if we get there first!! I think you have probably started something so you'd better hurry up and buy that Monty!
Happy trails....................
Old 07-19-2005, 03:29 PM   #9
DavesDmax
Established Member

M.O.C. #3865
Parrothead,

Jump in there and get the RVQ II! It's only 205 straight from the factory. That's better than the 170.00 from CW for the smaller one. I have not checked CW to see if they sell the larger model yet.

Anyway, if you get one first, then I will know where to mount the guide rail on the 3400RL when mine is picked up. HaHa!
Old 07-20-2005, 12:18 AM   #10
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
This is something we are definitely going to look at! Thanks for all the info everyone.

melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:36 PM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Highways magazine arrived today (Good Sam) and in the new and great products section is the RVQ II.
Happy trails.................
Old 07-22-2005, 03:18 AM   #12
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Not to put a black eye on the subject, but when I use the tabletop grille, I have to take off my glasses or they get all spotted with grease from the smoke. Does this mean the same grease filled smoke will splatter down the side of my 5er? I used to show cars and a guy two cars down sprayed tire shine on his tires and the mist covered quite a few cars, just as an example of how the smoke will travel. I used the one on our popup once and that was the last time. Good luck on your choice!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 12:09 PM   #13
Montana_3539
Established Member

M.O.C. #3539
Would just like to install an LP quick- disconnect port under the RV & get a Weber... does Keystone put these ports on their RVs? Have not seen it in the brochures as an option.
Montana_3539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:21 AM   #14
DavesDmax
Established Member

M.O.C. #3865
I don't believe so. I think the dealer would not have a problem adding it though.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:19 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Oldguybc, I don't have the quick disconnect but we do have a connector and hose attached to one of our propane tanks. It's coiled up in the propane locker, always attached to the tank. I just pull the hose out of the locker, attach another (extension) hose and attach the other end to the grille. Takes about half a minute or less. It's called something like Extend-a-Stay and is available at CW and RV stores. Just be sure to get the one that fits a grille hose. Mine also has a connector to connect to an external 100lb (or any size) propane bottle. We use that in our Nov/Dec stays in the Kansas City cold weather.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote