Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #1
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
Shackle replacement?

Here's a revival of a common topic - I got to looking at my shackles the other day and sure enough they are gonna need replacement.

I have noticed several folks doing this on their own - is this a difficult task?? I am pretty handy.

What else do I need to be looking for while underneath?? A tech looked about a week ago, said the shackles need it (I can see that), but he also said looks like a springs is cracked right in the center (rear driver side). Is that something better left to the guys that do this sort of thing??

I have a 2000 3280 with alko axels....

Thanks for the input!

Al S.

skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You can do it. I have done 3, all different axles. Alko or Dexter are the easiest (but not easy). It is mostly grunt work. You can do it alone., but I recommend a partner to help.

If I might offer a suggestion, I would upgrade the equalizer to one that is shock absorbing. Both Dexter and Trailair make one. Take your pick. Do that in combination with the "wet" bolt kit. Look online.

As far as the leaf spring, I would want to see that crack myself. Get under there and look at how it all is connected. Then make a decision about whether it is something you can do. I don't think it is rocket science.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
skyguy, you could do that job if handy, while doing the shackles.

You should purchase a spring pack and 'U' bolts/nuts as taking the old ones apart ends up breaking the bolts.

My previous 5th wheel SOB spring broke while on a trip, changed the spring pack in the RV park.

Take your time block trailer securely and be safe...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
noneck, is that a photo of a temporary fix with a chain?
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:40 AM   #5
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

You can do it. I have done 3, all different axles. Alko or Dexter are the easiest (but not easy).
Stiles -

How did you find the right parts? Contact ALKO direct? They seem to have a decent website.
Is the "equalizer" the rocker that is in the center? Will Dexter parts fit the Alko setup?

And what exactly is the wetbolt kit? Never mind - i googled that and learned this...
http://rvtravel.com/blog/rvnow/2007/...ety-alert.html
But still would like to know source for parts determinations!
Thanks

Al Schlafli
Old 03-01-2009, 04:09 AM   #6
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Measure axle to axle center distance. Probably 35". Then look at the equalizer for a number. That's what you need to order the parts. I agree w/Stiles re. shackles, wet bolts, and equalizer. Got mine from Dexter. Nice ride when fixed!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:42 AM   #7
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Vanman, sure is...we broke on Garden State Parkway, NJ 30 miles from Beachcomber RV Park. I was helped by a UPS Driver, who was on his way to a safety seminar in his Ford F-250.
Saw me on the side, took one look and asked if I had a chain? I did the one that is used on my 5er tripod...
Had me do that lash-up to hanger and said Ok, good to go 30 mph max all the way to park.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:51 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
This is the Dexter kit you want if your axles are 35" apart. The Dexter kit includes brass bushings, heavy duty shackles, "wet" bolts and the "E-Z Flex" equalizer. They also include fairly extensive instructions.

Trailair calls theirs "Equa-Flex". I have no experience with their kit, but you want one for 6000# axles.

Yes, the equalizer is the triangular piece where the tandem axles are tied together. The shackles attach the springs to the equalizer. If you will email or PM me your phone number, we can have a phone conversation and you can ask questions and get my take on the job if you want it. I don't mind calling and chatting.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #9
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
skyguy, I have the Al-Ko axles (5200lbs) and did as stiles watson indicates.

The Dexter wet bolt kits worked fine although I didn't do the Trialair/Equa-Flex upgrade.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #10
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Thanks everyone, I can see what I will be doing my next balmy weekend here in Colorado!

Keep ya posted!

Al
Old 03-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #11
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
skyguy, Just to be clear;

My 3255RL w/5200lb Al-KO's I used...

My rig was purchased used so no way to know mileage...
Broke somewhere near the campground as no obvious abrasions on frame from loose spring/shackle

This is the junk I was dependent on!
Old 03-01-2009, 01:05 PM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Noneck,

Great pictures! Your pictures speak volumes on the shackle problem. Please check these things. At about 20K miles you should check very closely. It seems that between 20 and 30 thousand is the most likely time for the shackles to go out.

Hamrad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:29 PM   #13
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
HamRad, Thanks, just keeping with the theme of this forum... that it rocks and when someone asks for input we hope to provide a perspective.

It helps to have your numbers for when consideration should be made to shackles, as a weekender looking at the interior and topside exterior had no idea it was driven that much...I now know a very close inspection of the shackle plate is in order to determine if bolt heads are on center which is about all you can do sans an odometer.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #14
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
For my part, I would not trust that 20,000 mile mark. The pictures I showed recently were after 10,000 miles. My first shackle job was after 12,000 miles on my 2003 rig. While in neither case were the shackles worn through, they were well on their way. I am inclined to do preventive maintenance rather than making repairs after a breakdown. In my opinion, careful inspections need to begin after 10,000 to 15,000 miles.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #15
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Noneck thats amaising, and that they didn't brake and the wheels do damage to the Monty wheel wells. thanks for the great pictures.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:45 AM   #16
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Mine is definitely towards the low end of the mileage! We didn't get ours new either, but it wasn't a year old yet. In 7 years, we haven't been out of Colorado, and probably average a weekend a month for 8 months a year. Assuming an average 250 mile round trip, thats 56 X 300 or 14,000 miles. Oh. Maybe we are close to the 20k.

It's the rear shackles on the rear axle that seem to be the worst. The bottom plate on the driver side rear spring is indeed cracked all the way through.

Some of our travel involves several miles of rough gravel road, often with sections of washboard - I'll bet those haven't helped any!

Al S.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Based on reports out of this forum we changed ours out at @ 12K miles. Although no sign of wear could be seen looking at them, when removed the holes were far from being round and the plastic inserts were gone. By the time wear can be observed a lot of damage has been done...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #18
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I haven't had any problems yet but just happened to think of something if it makes sense. If I were doing the "fix" I might consider scribing long crosshairs across the bolt hole so they could be seen after the re-assembly is finished. That way you could visibly tell if the bolts have moved off center. Wouldn't that help for looking for future problems?
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:51 AM   #19
kingrving
Established Member

M.O.C. #6577
I had the spring on passenger side break while taking my Monty back to storage. I was lucky as I was only 1/3 mile from the stick house and was able to jack it up and place a couple of 2x4 blocks under the axle to keep the wheel off frame. I had mine done at a trailer supplier and not an RV repair center and saved about $1000 on the job. The biggest issue was aligning the axles to the Monty and that was best left to the professional's in my opinion. I would have hated to have seen what would have happened if the spring had broken at 60 miles per hour.

Good Luck Perry
kingrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:09 AM   #20
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I just received the EZ-Flex shackle solution from Dexter and I can't wait to get under the Monty to replace them. However, the snow needs to melt first and the weather get above freezing before I will even think about it. We got our Monty as a pre-owned unit so we don't have any idea how many miles were on it prior to the 7k we have done. I'm the type that believes in preventative maintenance and shackles are the last thing I want to have break while on the road. All the instructions and safety tips written on this forum have been printed out and placed in the box with the new parts.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote