Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2019, 01:50 PM   #21
nemesis45
Established Member

M.O.C. #18648
The shear have a number on them. you should replace them with the same number

nemesis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:37 PM   #22
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis45 View Post
The shear have a number on them. you should replace them with the same number
Yes, and they are axle specific , 6K, 7k , 8K . The number for the 7K axles is PT108-020 , probably the most common on our fifth wheels with the LRE suspension . They have last two digits molded in the rubber
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:12 PM   #23
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Shear springs are supposed to be axle specific. I am afraid Montana Keystone did not get the memo when they built mine. I have 7K axles, 15500 GVWR, at least thats whats on the sticker on the left front of it.

In the process of replacing the shear springs, called MORryde to get the part # before ordering, gave the info and was told 7K axles take the PT108-020. Well got the left side off this afternoon, and I have shear spring for a 6K axle PT108-016. The # 16 molded into the rubber, curious now what the other side is 16 or 20.

Will give MORryde a call in the morning, but I know what they will tell me, I got the right part for a 7K axle. So Montana messed up somewhere, I know hard to believes isn't it . Either they flat put on the wrong axles 6K, with the right shear springs, or the correct 7K axles with the wrong shear springs. Either way it was built wrong.

I don't know how to tell a 6K axle from a 7k, but I will find out . I will also talk to Montana about ,of course nothing will become of it . On edit ,6K are 6 lug as far as I can tell. I have 8 lug, so it appears Montana had a bunch of 6K shear springs laying around to use up .
Old 04-18-2019, 07:10 AM   #24
RayT
Established Member

M.O.C. #18460
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDMoore06 View Post
I only replaced one side after the first year. Had a blow out with the famous Marathon tires. The repair company jacked my unit by the suspension spring area. Huh. I didn’t notice until during a short trip, I saw a rub. Replaced that spring and of course ride was better. Best I remember it was easy to change with very good instructions.
Larry,

Could you please post a copy of the instructions? I'd like to see what's involved to determine if I want to do this job myself but can't find the instructions online.

TIA
RayT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:16 AM   #25
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayT View Post
Larry,

Could you please post a copy of the instructions? I'd like to see what's involved to determine if I want to do this job myself but can't find the instructions online.

TIA

Same here, I could not find anything other then a parts breakdown of the LRE Suspension. I too was looking for some instructions . It was a little easier then I thought. The top bolts on the shear springs are a little tough to get to. They are a bolt, and nut, so they have to be held to keep from turning to get the nut off. I used a socket with a knuckle on it to get in there to hold the bolt.

The setup ,getting the trailer blocked up safely, getting the tires off etc etc is the most time consuming. I blocked up the trailer with jack stands, then jacked up the axles on the U-bolt, removed the tires ,left the bottle jacks under each axle. Then its just a matter of disconnecting the leaf springs from the shear springs, and removing the four bolts each side of the shear springs, and sliding it out of there.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:31 AM   #26
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I don't know how to tell a 6K axle from a 7k, but I will find out . I will also talk to Montana about ,of course nothing will become of it . On edit ,6K are 6 lug as far as I can tell. I have 8 lug, so it appears Montana had a bunch of 6K shear springs laying around to use up .
My 06 3000RK is a lighter unit. It has 6K axles but 8 lugs. I was told by a trailer shop the only difference between 6 & 7k axles is the gauge of the tube. Have not looked at the numbers on the shear springs.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #27
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
These are the MorRyde documents I used to replace the rubber springs. The actual owners manual did not have torques, but the wet bolt kit instructions did have all the torques needed.
http://www.morryde.com/downloads/tec...s%20Manual.pdf

http://www.morryde.com/uploads/downl...pection_v2.pdf

http://www.morryde.com/uploads/downl...0for%20LRE.pdf
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:42 AM   #28
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
These are the MorRyde documents I used to replace the rubber springs. The actual owners manual did not have torques, but the wet bolt kit instructions did have all the torques needed.

Thanks, I too found these, I believe I used them when I installed the wet bolt kit a few years back. Talked to MORryde yesterday about all this.

I indeed have 7K axles found the stamp on them, with 6K shear springs. Was told by MORryde, that I probably should have had 7K shear springs. He told me I would probably like the results of the more dense rubber in the 7K shear springs.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #29
Nighthawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10340
We have 2007 3400RL, which we love, and I had Mor-Ryde replace the shear springs a few years ago with wet bolts on all springs. Too bad I didn’t have them replace the leaf springs at the same time.

We took a trip to Alaska a couple years ago and it was really tough on the RV – very, very rough. I had an alignment done after that trip right when I replaced all 4 tires.

Last fall I had one entire spring break in half at the axle – all 3-4 leaves. Vanderpol & Maas in Lynden, WA replaced all 4 springs with 3,500 lbs springs, a big upgrade from the 2,600 lb (?) springs that came with the 5vr. V&M is a big truck service center in Lynden. I would recommend them for RV trailer springs, axles and such, as I think they do a good job and have the know-how.

When replacing all 4 brake assemblies a few weeks ago, I was told I have 7,000 axles as well on our rig.

As mentioned in many other posts, Keystone seems to use the cheapest materials they can get. In my view, their workmanship is quite shoddy too. Despite all that, we do like our Montana.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #30
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Wow...interesting AND disappointing! I wonder how many more trailers are out there with the wrong shear springs installed. I would be on the phone with Keystone "requesting" that they pay for the replacement. This could have been a liability issue and you could certainly make that point with them! I know I would...
My Montana High Country had 6k axles and 6 lug hubs because of course, it was a lighter trailer than my current Montana 3580RL. I am curious now to see what I have installed in my suspension. Thanks for posting your experiences with this for everyone's benefit!
Just remembered, my former trailer (the HC) is parked near my current Monty...I think I will crawl underneath and see what differences I can see (or measure) other than the 6 vs. 8 lug hubs of course.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #31
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdaddy View Post
Wow...interesting AND disappointing! I wonder how many more trailers are out there with the wrong shear springs installed. I would be on the phone with Keystone "requesting" that they pay for the replacement. This could have been a liability issue and you could certainly make that point with them! I know I would...
My Montana High Country had 6k axles and 6 lug hubs because of course, it was a lighter trailer than my current Montana 3580RL. I am curious now to see what I have installed in my suspension. Thanks for posting your experiences with this for everyone's benefit!
Just remembered, my former trailer (the HC) is parked near my current Monty...I think I will crawl underneath and see what differences I can see (or measure) other than the 6 vs. 8 lug hubs of course.
I don't think there is a liability issue, talking to MORryde its also based on weight , don't quote me on this, I should of written it down.I believe he told me the 6K shear springs were rated up to 6750, Based on what my fifth wheel actually has sitting on those axles, the 6K shear springs probably covered the weight . With a 15,500 GVWR, take off 20% for the pin leaves 12,400 on the axles or 6200 per axle. Possibly thats how Keystone is looking at it.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:12 AM   #32
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
We have 2007 3400RL, which we love, and I had Mor-Ryde replace the shear springs a few years ago with wet bolts on all springs. Too bad I didn’t have them replace the leaf springs at the same time.

We took a trip to Alaska a couple years ago and it was really tough on the RV – very, very rough. I had an alignment done after that trip right when I replaced all 4 tires.

Last fall I had one entire spring break in half at the axle – all 3-4 leaves. Vanderpol & Maas in Lynden, WA replaced all 4 springs with 3,500 lbs springs, a big upgrade from the 2,600 lb (?) springs that came with the 5vr. V&M is a big truck service center in Lynden. I would recommend them for RV trailer springs, axles and such, as I think they do a good job and have the know-how.

When replacing all 4 brake assemblies a few weeks ago, I was told I have 7,000 axles as well on our rig.

As mentioned in many other posts, Keystone seems to use the cheapest materials they can get. In my view, their workmanship is quite shoddy too. Despite all that, we do like our Montana.
It would be interesting to know what shear springs you had in there, and what MORryde replaced them with .I betting you ended up with the ones they told me I needed. No one has mentioned what shear spring they had, when replacing them , I wonder how many had the 6K shear springs like I did.

I have had the wet bolts ,and X-Factor style braces that I fabricated, and bolted on in all three positions of the suspension for several years now . My leaf springs all look good. I will see how the fifth wheel rides after I get these new shear springs in. I always felt like my fifth wheel rode pretty decent, up until the last couple trips.

If I am not happy with the way it rides after replacing the shear springs, I will change out the leaf springs, and add the joyrider shocks. Have a 2020 trip planed to Alaska for three months, don't need suspension problems .

I am curious on your leaf spring upgrade are they the same width as your old ones at 1*3/4 wide. If not then they would have had to do something with the shear spring connection plates , they are setup for 1*3/4" wide leaf springs . Those shear spring connection plates would have had to be changed .
Old 04-20-2019, 10:28 AM   #33
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post

After reading your post again, where did you come up with the 2600 lb rating on your springs. You are saying yours were 3-4 leafs ???? Briefly looking on the internet most that I saw for the 7K axles were 6 leaf 3500 lb rating.

MY 2008 3400RL has the 7K axles , and six leaf spring packs. No reason to believe they are rated for 2600 lbs. If they are putting on 7K axles it stands to reason the leaf springs need to match the axle rating , and GVWR.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #34
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:

It appears you did the work yourself, same as I am doing, what were your original shear springs 108-016 or 108-020 ??
Old 04-20-2019, 11:07 AM   #35
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
These photos are from Roy Dittler who is also a member here when he did his. He has a '16 3790RD with 7k axles. The one that is torn almost in half is the non-door or driver's side. The third one is the door side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drivers side.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	3560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drivers side2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	3561   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starboard side2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	3562   Click image for larger version

Name:	new3.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	3563  
Old 04-20-2019, 08:40 PM   #36
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
It appears you did the work yourself, same as I am doing, what were your original shear springs 108-016 or 108-020 ??

The original were the 108-020, and that is the same as the person at MorRyde said was needed.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:59 PM   #37
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
The original were the 108-020, and that is the same as the person at MorRyde said was needed.

Thanks. Doesn't make sense why they put 108-016 on mine, Have to think it was a mistake