Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2018, 12:52 PM   #1
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
Keystone in-Command

Is it worth it, I know it is a personal preference but I worried down the road it might be costly to fix.

So far we are ordering our 3120 with everything but the full body paint, just not sure the $6,000 is worth the In-Command, Electric Reel, Camera, and rear fiberglass cap?

Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I decided it is not worth it to me thinking too much to go wrong. Have made it 10 years without it with no problems. Only thing I missed was remote awning but I solved that for $15 and an hour of my time. Added a remote and it came with 2 remotes that fit key chain and works great. You can add a reel and camera for a LOT less than $1000 and the rear cap is not available for my model and I don't miss having one anyway considering all that storage space I have in the rear.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
Is it worth it, I know it is a personal preference but I worried down the road it might be costly to fix.

So far we are ordering our 3120 with everything but the full body paint, just not sure the $6,000 is worth the In-Command, Electric Reel, Camera, and rear fiberglass cap?
You can get a nice manual reel for under $150. The compatible observation camera is around $350. The 2" receiver hitch is now standard. The rest is fluff.

By the way, $6,000 is MSRP. I suspect you could get that cut in half with the 5th wheel purchase.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 02:01 PM   #4
sdinsley
Established Member

M.O.C. #20930
My 2018 3731FL has the in command system. Too new for me to weigh in on its reliability just yet. I typically like a switch and relay system, because its easy to troubleshoot but I have to say the capability to sync to your phone is pretty nice. So far I have noticed the touch screen is a bit picky. i find I am swiping my finger a few times before the screen starts to move up to see all the options.
sdinsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:19 PM   #5
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post

I have the legacy with all those options. It happened to be the only one I could find at the time that had a generator. My opinion on these options:

In-Command: so far no problems, but the system scares me a little. The cell phone app is nice. There is a lot of discussion on the forum about this.

Electric Reel: Save your money; I'd prefer a detachable cord.

Camera: I like it and use it all the time.

Rear Fiberglass cap: It's pretty, but no value other than cosmetic.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:06 AM   #6
bowlesj
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18569
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I have the legacy with all those options. It happened to be the only one I could find at the time that had a generator. My opinion on these options:

In-Command: so far no problems, but the system scares me a little. The cell phone app is nice. There is a lot of discussion on the forum about this.

Electric Reel: Save your money; I'd prefer a detachable cord.

Camera: I like it and use it all the time.

Rear Fiberglass cap: It's pretty, but no value other than cosmetic.

In command is awesome. It's just a simple system of remote operated relays. I chose to get it on our unit because I am familiar with the ancient relay controls and figured it'd be good training for helping others with the system, which has proven to be true. The design of application by Keystone is weak because half the lights are still standard switches.

If the touch pad goes bad, if the bluetooth radio goes bad, etc what are you going to do? Have to buy a new or used one. Maybe someone will have the ability to repair but not likely.

So how is this different than the MFD or touch pad control in current, trains, planes, automobiles, motorcycles, treadmills, etc?

The relay function is basic, so nothing to be scared of. To me, the ability to watch controlled items such as slides and awnings operate up close for troubleshooting or inspections when using the phone for intitiating the movement is priceless. Try that by yourself with a simple toggle switch when checking alignment or cylinder stop contact points on the driver side hydraulic slide.

PS - instructions to disable the passcode are attached. Should work on all pro plus systems, probably others too.

John - 2016 3820FK
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Disable passcode.pdf (133.6 KB, 245 views)
bowlesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We chose to stay with the old manual switches. As the years went on there were too many problems with the old remote controls to interest us in having the whole house controlled that way. These rigs take too much of a beating for many electronic items, particularly when they were supplied by the low bidder.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:03 PM   #8
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj View Post

PS - instructions to disable the passcode are attached. Should work on all pro plus systems, probably others too.

John - 2016 3820FK
Thanks! On my way out to try it now.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:59 PM   #9
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj View Post

John - 2016 3820FK
Thanks for the tip; that worked. Either I missed it before or this is something they changed in the software upgrade I downloaded a while back. I know that Jensen told me it could not be disabled.

Anyway, thanks a lot.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:50 PM   #10
bowlesj
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18569
Glad to hear. ASA has told me a few goofy things as well.

I disabled mine at the dealer back in 2016 but found these manuals a few weeks later. BTW, the same basic steps work on all versions of in-command to disable the password.

John - 2016 3820FK
bowlesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:11 AM   #11
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
When we were looking, and saw the In-Command system at the show in February, I decided since it was not NASA approved, I would steer clear. Working in the refrigerator repair industry for 40+ years and seeing a lot of boards having to be sent in for repair and some just being NLA after only 5 years, was fuel in the flames also. I'm not a drinker but I tried to imagine tossing one too many at the steakhouse then trying to fiddle with my Android to get the RV lights on or worse, unlocked. Panic would set in!
Old 01-28-2018, 07:54 AM   #12
kg_nc

M.O.C. #11772
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjustice View Post
You can get a nice manual reel for under $150. The compatible observation camera is around $350. The 2" receiver hitch is now standard. The rest is fluff.

By the way, $6,000 is MSRP. I suspect you could get that cut in half with the 5th wheel purchase.
I’m sure you noticed that there isn’t alot of storage space in the 3730/31. The built in reel helps in this regard. If you put a reel in it has to go either in the front or the basement, taking up more space. Just my opinion.
kg_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:02 AM   #13
sdinsley
Established Member

M.O.C. #20930
If case anyone wanted to look at some of the brains of the In-Command system I took a few pictures of mine yesterday. Here they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0938.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	340.5 KB
ID:	1078   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0942(1).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	1079   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0998(1).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	1080   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0936(1).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	390.4 KB
ID:	1081  
sdinsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #14
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Comes down again to personal preference.

Our last two Montana's have had the legacy package and we are very happy to have spent the extra $ for it.
Of course we love the rear cap but also embrace new technology to a degree and therefore embraced the in command system. Agree the keypad can be a little unresponsive at times especially at a cooler temperature so both of our phones have the app and most of the time we use our phones as remotes.
Agree that disabling the touchpad Passcode is the way to go and because Darwin always has his smart phone on his belt clip ease of use to us is a no brainer.
For peace of mind though we also have extended warranty.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:16 AM   #15
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
we love the in-command system and reel, hated trying to wrestle that snake in cold weather

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:18 AM   #16
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_nc View Post
I’m sure you noticed that there isn’t alot of storage space in the 3730/31. The built in reel helps in this regard. If you put a reel in it has to go either in the front or the basement, taking up more space. Just my opinion.
The original question was "Is it worth it...." and that's simply a personal judgment. For me it's not. Yes, I can afford it but for what you get for that high cost in my opinion is not worth it. The reel I bought is the MorRyde upright and only takes up about 8" widthwise and still holds a 50' cord. Of course space is precious in some units, and that goes back to the question of is it worth it, and for those with space issues it might be.

https://www.amazon.com/MORryde-REEL5...s=morryde+reel
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #17
Dusters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19305
Question IN Command BCM

Does anyone have a walk around to get the BCM to sync with the monitor on days it won't connect?

Back info: Power gen running (10.7 VDC min rqd), sync'd up to extend two of the electric slides, 15 minutes later no BCM sync. Powered down (computer reboot theory) several times and after another 20 minutes or so went to the manual switches on the board to close up the unit. The Red LED stayed on at the module, if I recall a blue LED should appear when sync'd.

This tends to happen about once a year and then just works after a little patience. The board was replaced last year while at the dealer for it's annual physical. I'm guessing for an industry post or recall.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:32 PM   #18
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
At some point they switched the connection method between the touch pad and the control board. It used to be Bluetooth and there were problems with it occasionally dropping the connection. It now has a cable. Mine was built in early 2017 and has a cable. Not sure if it can be retrofitted.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:28 PM   #19
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
Does the legacy come with a rear bumper?
I thought I read someone said no with the rear cap.
If so not good if someone hits it in the rear even a light tap will probably be costly.
Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:53 PM   #20
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Devil View Post
Does the legacy come with a rear bumper?
I thought I read someone said no with the rear cap.
If so not good if someone hits it in the rear even a light tap will probably be costly.
No rear bumper