Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2005, 05:17 PM   #1
Montana_2183

M.O.C. #2183
wireless internet service

Can't seem to get anything going so I can use my Laptop and receive emails and use the internet, I have service with Cingular, they have not been helpful. Any idea's???????????

TL and BW traveling with a yorkie, 2005 3400RL

Montana_2183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:53 PM   #2
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Did you get a software program with your Cingular service to make data connections? If not you should. That will make it a lot easier to get the connection going. If you did get the software but still can't get it going.... do you have any specific questions?

I'm sure some cingular user will come by shortly and answer all your questions.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:57 AM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
TLand BW, do you mind sharing what you're paying for Cingular's connection? My hubby has Cingular and when we inquire at their stores about internet connections the clerks look at us like we speaking a foreign language. What is the monthly cost and amount of access?

On our recent trip to East Texas I spent two days thinking I couldn't get a connection, only to find out that the connection varied according to the time of day and possibly usuage. You do have to have a good signal to get connected, too. A Wilson antenna can help with that.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:45 AM   #4
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
Due to the ridiculous up-front costs from T-Mobile, we passed on the wireless service from them. Our home park uses the Tengo service. We signed up for a trial run a few weeks ago and have been very pleased with the connectivity and speed. We will be going to a longer term service plan next week (when our current plan ends) for a significant reduction in the monthly costs ($40 bucks a month if paid by the month, down to $25 a month on the annual plan(?)). Although Tengo is a bit limited, they appear to be growing pretty quickly.
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:51 AM   #5
harryd2
Established Member

M.O.C. #2373
Try verizon you get 14.4 speed with just normal service, and moble one software for your phone
harryd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 07:54 AM   #6
harryd2
Established Member

M.O.C. #2373
Try verizon you get 14.4 speed with just normal service, and moble one software for your phone

h@w 350 ford 4x4 7.3 desil
03 3295 big sky
harryd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:15 AM   #7
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I was talking to a sales guy for singular at the air show in colorado springs he said that I can get a card for my lap top and a second phone number for it,and a speed of 56k it sounded unbelivable so he told me to bring my lap top to his office and he would show me.. this service is $80.00 Ill see if it is worth it.. I know have nextel and have been looking to change the price of two phones and the internet at singular will be cheaper the nextel and nextel internet on the phone moden is super slow.. about 14.0 just crawling..Ill let you know what I find.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:48 AM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Is your nextel charge $80.00 per month? Verizon isn't too bad as far as speed, not for those of us used to dial up. Once you get your kit, you use your minutes according to your phone plan. After 9:00 PM and on the weekends, it is free. I think you might be able to pay a little more and get your free minutes to start earlier. Cingular does that for $5 or $10 per month. Glen connects to free minutes at 7 PM. That's one reason I'm interested in getting info on their mobile internet plan/cost.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:38 AM   #9
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
TLandBW: Try this site, if you haven't already.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/InternetByCellPhone/

They seem to be the "experts" on this sort of thing. There are Tutorials for Verizon, Sprint and Cingular or you can post a question and the answers are handled quickly. For Verizon users, they have a way to use a higher speed access (backdoor) if you have the right plan for no extra fee. Good luck.

Bruce

Montana_2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:06 PM   #10
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
No my nextel is not $80 it is included in my unlimited plan which is everything and cost$199. So if I change to cingular with two phones and the high speed internet it will still be cheaper.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:04 PM   #11
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
For Harryd2 and other Verizon QuickLink2 users...in Jan of 04 Verizon made the "high speed" Express Network feature free, just like QuickLink2. That was in conjunction with their introduction of their newer and much faster high speed service. They just didn't bother to tell us....I used QL2 for another 8 months until I found out, by accident, that I could access the Internet via Verizon's Express Network just like I had QL2, but at 115K bps instead of 14K bps. For whatever reason, they didn't disable QL2 when Express Network became free also.

Just select Express Network on your drop down menu instead of QuickLink2 when you open the Verizon program on your computer. You might want to call Verizon Data Services just to verify this before you use it, if you have any concerns about billing or charges. You can get to them through Verizon (611) and follow the voice prompts.

I have been using Express Network now for 6 months with no charges. 115K bps sure beats 14K bps!!!

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:21 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Cingular's clerks don't have a clue. We found that out also. We use a Cingular cell phone for connections occasionally and don't pay a single extra dime to Cingular. All we had to do was to get the proper cable from the phone manufacturer (Nokia, in our case) to connect phone to laptop. The cable comes with drivers to make the phone appear to be a modem. Once the drivers are installed, all I have to do is connect the cable, point the dialing software to this "modem", and tell it to dial my isp.

While there is no extra charge for this service, it is very slow. But it works. And it does use your minutes just as if you were on a voice call. I've heard Cingular has some faster services available but I'm not familiar with them.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 11:12 PM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
PJ and Nan that is valuable information. I will give that a try. I only use my phone as a modem during my 'free' minutes anyway.

And, thanks, Steve, for your info about just acquiring a cable for the phone. Glen's phone starts earlier (7 PM) so we might want to use his phone as a modem once in a while, even if it's slow.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:30 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Judy, the cable was not cheap, somewhere around $40. It's available from Nokia's website.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:33 PM   #15
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
FYI To All:

Just got done reading these particular posts on the Yahoo "internetbycellphone" site:

I am only including this here so that one is aware that problems may occur if software and cables are not compatable.

Subject: RE: Where do we down load a free USB driver for v710? (verizon)

We didn't get MOK made by the Verizon. We checked the file section on the left and down loaded "USB installer.exe" But v710 phone is not listed, can we use other listed phone?(which one?)

Hi Joe,
No, none of the other selections in "USB Installer.exe" will
install the V710 cable, nor configure the V710 as a modem for
internet access.

Doing a mix and match for a beautiful phone like the V710 was
probably not a good idea. Now you are faced with finding a
suitable cable that comes with appropriate software. Software
for a cable is generally cable specific and phone specific.
That's why there are nearly 300 files installed by USB
Installer.exe. The fact that your cable did not include software
pretty much indicates the cable is just a cheap knock-off.

Also, you will probably have to "create" you own "connections"
for National Access" and the "Quick 2 Net". Certainly doable,
but unnecessary.

Your best solution may be to part with $39
for the Verizon MOK .

Hope this helps.

Bruce
Montana_2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 04:08 PM   #16
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Go to the website for your particular phone, look for accessories for your model, find the data cable which probably comes with the software to run it, and then you'll be set. It will cost you minutes and it will be slower, but, hey, make a cup of tea or kiss the spouse while it's downloading. Cingular also has a wireless card you can buy and use with your laptop, but it is a second number and is costly.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 05:51 PM   #17
Montana_139
Montana Master

M.O.C. #139
PJ & Nan,

we have had Verizon Office (now VZ Access Manager) for two years, and, unless we're completely out of range, have been able to get on the Net just fine.

BUT - I can't find a drop down to Express Network? When I dial up, I have the choice between Quick 2 Net and NationalAccess. Is there a download I need??

Thanks, KK
Montana_139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 05:33 AM   #18
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Can't help you with the Verizon Office software as I use a Macintosh and have to hand build the connect script but you are connecting to the right network if you are dialing #777 as the access number. Your username is yourphonenumber@vzw3g.com E.G. 5195554444@vzw3g.com and the password is vzw. You should connect at 115k max. and it may be lower. All you need apart from this is a driver and a cable and of course a Verizon account
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:25 AM   #19
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
KK and GB: My software is Verizon Mobile Office. When I open it up, the "window" displayed is labeled Dial-up Accounts. As I scroll through those options, I have "Express Network (1XRTT)" along with "Quick 2 Net" and a couple of others displayed. I select Express Network (1XRTT).

It seems probable that that your software hasn't been set up to use the Express Network. Suggest a call to Verizon Wireless Data techs to help get Express Network set up for your machine. I think he/she will do some stuff through your Menu options and "install" Express Network as one of your Network Connections. It shows up in mine when I look at them through the
Verizon Menu / Control Panels / Network and Dial Up Connections.

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 03:00 PM   #20
Montana_139
Montana Master

M.O.C. #139
javascript:insertsmilie('')
PJ & Nan; Jim & Diane,
Thanks for your help! It was a combination of your information that solved the problem for me. I have VZ Access Manager, which is a newer version of Mobile Office, this my initial confusion.

For those interested, here is how got into Express Network:

Click on Tools / Dial up Accounts / Add Wireless
Under account name I entered ExpressNetwork
Telephone Number is #777
User Name is 1111111111@vzw3g.com (where 1111111111 is your Verizon phone number)
Passwort is vzw
Click OK

Then you just have to make sure that the box in
Preferences / Account Options / Show non-wireless accounts in list
is checked, so you can see your new connection.

I'm using it right now. Right now its running at 54 Mbps. While it's not 144, it sure beats 14.4...!!!

THANKS, GUYS!!!
KK
Montana_139 is offline   Reply With Quote