Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2014, 03:42 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dump your wash water on the ground? Maybe not..

Good read:

http://www.rvboondockingnews.com/201...ing-issue.html

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 04:26 AM   #2
tweber502
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13660
Great information. I've really never been an advocate of dumping grey water on the ground anyway. Some people don't have the common sense or consideration for others to dig a hole to dump in or run into a place that isn't going to make a muddy mess. If we're going to be in a non-sewer site for more than 3-4 days I bring along the "Blue Tote". Really not that much trouble to drain into the tote and take to the dump station. This is what works for us but might not be the best solution for others. Tim
tweber502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 04:53 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
A lot of times we will be camped miles away from anyone. It wouldn't hurt to dump our grey tanks but we never do.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 06:49 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Not sure why the guy had to ask. Many, if not most, states have enacted regulations to stop this practice both from RV's and from private residences if not in total then under certain circumstances. The possible negative factors for the environment have been well documented. I have enough trouble keeping track of where my CCC is valid and what the rules are state to state without trying to deal with the enviornmental regulations.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
X2.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:16 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have been to campgrounds primarily Fairgrounds that said it was OK to dump gray water on the ground.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 07:36 AM   #7
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Where we bought our rig in Michagen the dealer wanted us to dump the gray water on the ground. I tryed to get them to move the rig to the dump station we were told to just dump where we were??? Black tank of course no.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
The link on the letter to Arizona Department of Environmental Quality says:

Page Not Found
404 error

Interesting that naturalists in some places are promoting the use of waste water to water and feed your plants. There are good nutrients in Tide of all things (nitrogen).......water is water, Dawn has been used to scrub down oil soaked waterfowl, food scraps in the sink are organic.... So confusing, but I'm pretty sure the (BLM) has done all the pertinent research to conclude their rules are right for the environment, just think about how well government has managed the pollution, the waterways and the quality of our air so far.

Maybe not is right.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:48 PM   #9
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Arizona encourages the use of grey water for irrigation
http://www.thegreywaterguide.com/index.html
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

Arizona encourages the use of grey water for irrigation
http://www.thegreywaterguide.com/index.html
X2
Old 12-30-2014, 02:31 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Great article, I did notice the last paragraph, or line in the Arizona section: "Towns, cities, or counties may further limit the use of gray water described in this Section by rule or ordinance."

Also, on any Government property, you must adhere to their convoluted, conflicting, hard-to-interpret rules and regulations.
Which are enforced, or not enforced, in any way you could possibly dream up.

It is easy to get in trouble on this subject with possible stiff fines.
Personally, I see no harm if done properly and in the right location.
I did read somewhere in slab city, they dump Grey water rather liberally and I imagine you would find areas there that a person would not like to park your rig.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:23 AM   #12
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I just wonder if what prompted all this is the same thing that will eventually put an end to Wally Docking. People Dumping their Blank Tanks anywhere they feel like it, and some have even used the storm drains in the Walmart Parking lots.
On our recent trip to Alaska seemed like almost every other RV was a Rental and many of those don't have a clue about dumping the tanks. At several CGs you could tell that someone had pulled up next to the dump station and just pulled the gate valve handle and just let it run into the drain with no hose connection.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:09 AM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mhs4771

I just wonder if what prompted all this is the same thing that will eventually put an end to Wally Docking. People Dumping their Blank Tanks anywhere they feel like it, and some have even used the storm drains in the Walmart Parking lots.
On our recent trip to Alaska seemed like almost every other RV was a Rental and many of those don't have a clue about dumping the tanks. At several CGs you could tell that someone had pulled up next to the dump station and just pulled the gate valve handle and just let it run into the drain with no hose connection.
I'm pretty sure no one was talking about BLACK tanks, thought it was just gray tanks....yep, for sure that is yucky! As campground hosts, we've found that the RV rental people are just not knowledgeable about how the sewer system is supposed to work.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #14
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Hey Ozz,
After the license plate fiasco you had with Arizona law enforcement, I would leave their interpretation of environmental laws to the California lawyers.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:09 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good call Mike! as you can see, I am posting information for each to digest or pass on.
I was reading on another Forum where some? state was a stickler for a license plate even if your home state regulated it otherwise. $165 and a snotty, rude threatening POLICE officer in Goodyear Arizona and you have yourself a good story..
Old 12-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #16
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
If this whole thing were not so ridiculous it would be funny. Watering a plant in the desert or your backyard with water from our sinks and showers would save millions of gallons of water annually and provide a benefit to many area's.

The USA and Canada have allowed mining operations to walk away from cleaning up what remained of their operations for 100 years, extremely toxic chemicals and waste materials have been left to infiltrate the soil for all of those years. The never ending demand for petroleum products allows fracking to be done in area's that will be affected for years to come. There is more contaminants buried in North America and leaching into the ground than we can possibly imagine and we are worried about a little bit of gray water.

Would you drink a glass of water from the Colorado river among many others anymore without treatment, I know I would not, but it is used to water the plants that are shipped country wide every day of the year.

I live in an area with many dairy farms, every month, millions of gallons of liquid manure is spread on the farmland, the growth of dairy feed such as corn and grains is significantly increased because of this. Our fresh water for the entire city and surrounding area comes from an underground aquifer, the natural filtration of the soils, sands and rocks protect that water from that which is applied to the surface area.

Think about it for just a moment, millions of rotting salmon bodies in rivers and lakes provide nutrients that benefit the entire surrounding environment but the water stinks and I would not want to drink it untreated.

Sounds like a means of keeping some bureaucrats employed rather than really doing a service to a water hungry plant and protecting the environment.

Guess I can't go and pee behind that bush anymore either.

There will always be those who would dump not only their gray tanks where they should not, but also their black tanks, nothing we can do about that, but some common sense and real science by regulators must also be used.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:09 PM   #17
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
All I was trying to say: Is since they can't control the idiots who will Dump their Black where they shouldn't, like storm drains or Woodchuck or Gopher holes, they just put a ban on all dumping. Goes along with the same mentality that if you have problem with people running a stop sign, you just make it a 4-way stop, pat yourself on the back, have a nice day.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:29 AM   #18
Montana4two
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13738
We volunteer at the Imperial Dam LTVA and in November, we all went to Quartsite for orientation with the BLM big wigs from Yuma. The subject of grey water came up. We were told that as long as the water does not go into your tank, you may dump it outside. So basically water from your kitchen sink, or if you are doing laundry, in a bowl in your sink. Also, dumping onto the plants is also OK. The reasoning is that once it goes into your tank, they have no way of knowing if any chemicals were also in that tank, so that is not allowed
Montana4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:40 AM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Great bit of info Paul and Lorraine. Makes sense, also anything that is coming from the big black sewer/grey water discharge would be suspect if being checked by any governing or enforcement body, not like a wash pan or such.
I can see both sides of the issue.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:33 AM   #20
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
The problem with dumping gray tanks is when RVers let the waste accumulate there for days...then it's as bad as the black tank. As noted above, if you let the gray water run on through, or dump the tank very soon after filling it, the odor is not bad.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote