Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2010, 04:23 AM   #1
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
New Comparison, Chevy vs Ford

I am sure this will get things stired up.IF you cant click on the link below just cut and paste it to your browser. This is a real good comparsion. Actually I think both trucks did good but chevy excelled in braking and torque

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/11...e-rockies.html

scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:28 AM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
It's all about usable power. Claims don't mean anything.
That being said, I am not one to drag race my truck, especially with the 5er on.
Interesting info though.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:52 AM   #3
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
That comparison seemed to be as close as one can get in specs. Too bad Dodge couldn't meet the same specs. I wonder what the difference would be with a 4:10 rear end? If and when my Dodge takes a dump I will compare with Chevy but as much as I hate to throw "fuel" on the fire I don't see me going to Ford.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
No matter what I buy or like there is always something better. Darn me for being so satisfied with my Ford.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/09...ing-ranch.html

This is another test done with the F-450 and the 3500
priceml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
hikerdoc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10717
Send a message via Yahoo to hikerdoc
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by illapah

No matter what I buy or like there is always something better. Darn me for being so satisfied with my Ford.
Amen my friend. Have had my F250 diesel for almost 6 years and can't find a thing wrong with it. Best truck I've ever owned, bar none.
hikerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #7
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Since drag racing seems to be at the front of many minds, this looks like a good place to insert a question: I have noticed that when towing our Montana, if the tow/haul mode is activated in our Ford, the shift points are at least 10mph higher than if the tow/haul mode is not activated. This results in slower acceleration. Anyone have any insight into this observation???
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scuba dude

I am sure this will get things stired up.IF you cant click on the link below just cut and paste it to your browser. This is a real good comparsion. Actually I think both trucks did good but chevy excelled in braking and torque

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/11...e-rockies.html
There is quite a bit of discussion and controversy about this comparison on RV.net, and the various Ford forums. If you own a Ford and have used the Tow/Haul feature then watching the video might raise some questions.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Michael
Your tow haul is workings as designed. I think if you did some testing you would find your acceleration times are actually faster. Thats why you have tow haul, or at one reason.
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
I have been driving Dodges since I learned to Drive with dads '51 Dodge 3/4 ram with three on a tree. They have always done what I asked of them and gave minimal problems. To each his own in my opinion.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #11
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Trucks are like sports teams and politicians. Everyone has there favorite, you either love em or hate em.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #12
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Yeah, we contiue to have good success with our Fords and the Dealer that supports us. No matter what manufacture; there will always be product that comes off the line that has defects. We've been lucky over the 40 years of purchasing and driving Fords, yet have not purchased a "lemon". I quite enjoy watching the marketing and testing of these trucks as time moves on. At one time a 140 horse diesel was suffice in getting us there and back!!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #13
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We are on our 8th Ford and are satisfied with its performance...we have only had one Chevy and we did not care for it at all. Would I use that one experience to bash Chevys? No! We buy trucks to work/do a job, not race. It always amuses me when I see these "comparisons" of trucks that go right to racing. If they were in some teen magazine I could understand it, but not in magazines, or places, that I would think are intended for mature, serious readers. So this latest "test" does not surprise me in its focus...it would have been nice if the comparison had actually included the 400hp/800lb torque Ford...it has done nothing to persuade me to run out and trade our truck in on a new Chevy. Both Chevys and Fords are part of the American landscape...glad they both are apparently weathering these hard economic times.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I love Ford and Dodge and Chevy and GMC and Peterbilt and Kenwood and and and and, the never ending comparison and test of who has what.
I had my Ford from 96 thru 09 and received good service from it, not saying that I didnt have problems, which I did but I wont go into that.
I now have a Dodge so far so good, and no deletes and it gets me from point A to B thats what I want.
all these test and stuff that they do to these TV can I realy believe them? nope.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:30 AM   #15
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
If I lived, or travelled alot in the mountainous regions of the country, this article would really interest me. I am not a speed freak or even care what you drive, what interests me the most is the braking ability of the Chevy. My '08 has the first generation of this variable vane braking system but NOT an exhaust brake as the new ones have. If looking for a new TV this would be high on my list. No matter which one you prefer, they all have their differences and some folks really have alot of BRAND loyalty. To each his own, as the saying goes. I guess you could call this "Truck Wars" as in "My trucks better than your truck"!!!!! LOL
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:16 AM   #16
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

If I lived, or travelled alot in the mountainous regions of the country, this article would really interest me. I am not a speed freak or even care what you drive, what interests me the most is the braking ability of the Chevy. My '08 has the first generation of this variable vane braking system but NOT an exhaust brake as the new ones have. If looking for a new TV this would be high on my list. No matter which one you prefer, they all have their differences and some folks really have alot of BRAND loyalty. To each his own, as the saying goes. I guess you could call this "Truck Wars" as in "My trucks better than your truck"!!!!! LOL
Phil, since my truck is a 2010, mentioning anything about its breaking characteristics would not be relevant to most of this thread; however, in response to your comment about driving in "mountainous regions," I have to say that in tow/haul mode our truck did not need much help from the manual break while driving up and back through the Appalacians this past year, and some of those mountain passes were steep. I am with you, what the next person drives is his/her own concern...not mine. I do like Dodge Ram's front end appearance...don't know how fast it does the 0-100mph! Michael
Old 12-09-2010, 06:49 AM   #17
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

As long as I have one of the big three pulling the Monty I think I’ll be happy. I’m not fan of any above another. What motivates me on which one to choose for pulling the Monty is whichever one I get the best deal on!
Old 12-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
As long as my truck does 0-60, I don't really care how long it takes to do it. As a fulltimer, time is irrelevant. Now, stopping the thing is a different story.....
Old 12-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #19
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

My '08 has the first generation of this variable vane braking system but NOT an exhaust brake as the new ones have.
What type of 1st generation variable vane braking does your truck have? The '11's are the first to have an "exhaust brake", uses the vanes of turbo to brake, not a true exhaust brake, and I think the '08's had the integrated brake controller, nothing to do with braking of the truck, just the trailer. The LLY and LBZ models have the variable vane turbo, but it is not connected to braking unless you purchase a Banks Speedbrake or a tuner with a tune that uses the turbo to brake. Could you explain how yours works? Thanks.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #20
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
When I bought the truck I was told it had variable vane braking and the dealer further explained that the vanes of the turbo close down to slow the truck. It is not an exhaust brake and I have not had any equipment added. All I really know is that when going down a hill I tap the brakes and the truck slows. Not a gear head so no expert on these things, only going by what I was told by the dealer. Maybe you could enlighten me.