Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2006, 03:26 PM   #41
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
[quote]Originally posted by Charlotte

Ours was prewired in the front closet and we bought the stack washer/dryer when we bought the trailer. It is a Kenmore unit and we have been happy with it. Both the washer and dryer are very quiet. We can only run one at a time. But, as I complained before, I found out the hard way about the unit being plumbed through the black tank when it backed up in the toliet on my first time using it. We were told when we called the dealer that they sometimes do that at the factory. They said they could change it but they would have to have it for a day or day and a half. We are fulltimers and not located close to the dealer so decided to just live with it. We thought maybe they do this was done that way to help clean the tank. Don't know. Anyway, my answer to the problem of a smaller tank is to let it fill once while I am washing and then to leave the tank open until I am finished with all loads. It does mean that I have to be alert on that first load.

Shirly was the model of the washer a 87732 and what is your rv model?

pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:15 AM   #42
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Charlotte

Ours was prewired in the front closet and we bought the stack washer/dryer when we bought the trailer. It is a Kenmore unit and we have been happy with it. Both the washer and dryer are very quiet. We can only run one at a time. But, as I complained before, I found out the hard way about the unit being plumbed through the black tank when it backed up in the toliet on my first time using it. We were told when we called the dealer that they sometimes do that at the factory. They said they could change it but they would have to have it for a day or day and a half. We are fulltimers and not located close to the dealer so decided to just live with it. We thought maybe they do this was done that way to help clean the tank. Don't know. Anyway, my answer to the problem of a smaller tank is to let it fill once while I am washing and then to leave the tank open until I am finished with all loads. It does mean that I have to be alert on that first load.
Hi, I bought the Maytag set, where do you have the dryer venting, out the sidewall aft of the door? I haven't measured yet for my vent, I'm hoping I don't have to do much adapting, as the space is tight in there.
We had to laugh, we have two stickers, one says the unit drains into the tank, and the tank should be empty, or something like that, the other large sticker states that the unit drains directly into the main dump drain, by-passing the tanks. I'll figure it out.
You probably can rewire the two so that they both operate at the same time, my two outlets are both 20 amp. and have their own breakers. I don't know why it wouldn't work, you might research that.
My dryer is 220 volts, I added a breaker and a 220 volt outlet for the dryer.
Please let me know on the dryer vent, also where does it come out of the dryer, side, back?
Thanks, Jim.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:28 PM   #43
LarryS

M.O.C. #1399
I am interested to know if everyone else's washer water goes into the black tank. That is a very faulty design.
LarryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:04 PM   #44
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours goes into the shower gray tank (2003 model). We can run both washer and dryer at the same time, along with AC, even when on 30 amp hookup. Can't run much else at the same time on 30 amps, though.

Jim, your dryer is 220v? The Montanas don't have 220v available as they come from the factory so I'm wondering if you set up something special. If so, please fill us in. Thanks. Our dryer is 110v.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #45
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi Steve,
Yes, I added a double pole 30 amp breaker, then wired the outlet in the closet, with some wire fishing down the wall and some@#*&% words after pinching my thumb. I also added some 110 volt outlets, Basement for a drill charging station, bathroom for a night light and will try to run one for an electric blanket by the bed.
There is two 110 volt lines coming in from the 50 amp supply that will make up 220 volts.
The two outlets are 20 amps each that are pre wired in the washer and dryer space, both on their own breakers.
You guys have done some traveling!
Take care, Jim.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:22 PM   #46
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, I wish I had your skills!

We asked while at the factory about where the washers are plumbed nowadays. We were told in mid-2006 model year they stopped plumbing the washer into the black tank because of complaints they read in this forum. They now plumb directly into the dump pipe although one person thought it might be into the shower tank. So we'll have to experiment to make sure which it is on ours.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:30 PM   #47
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Ours goes into the black tank and it sure hasn't been a problem, I just make sure the the black tank is open and let the washing machine clean it out real good for us. Saves having to back flush. In fact I kinda like it that way.
Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:44 PM   #48
Charlotte
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5847
I am sorry that I am just getting back to reading this about the washer. I must have been dreaming but I thought for sure that I read a different holding capacity for the black tank in the manual. Can't find it now, Must have been a "senior moment". We have a 2006 3475RL Montana. My 24" Model 88732 Kenmore washer/dryer is in the front closet. I guess you would call it a "stack" - dryer on top, washer on bottom. There is a switch that is to be used to switch between the use of one or the other.
Charlotte
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:11 AM   #49
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Charlotte, the black tank, the shower gray tank, and the galley gray tank are each 38 gallons. In the brochure they just say 76 gallons is the gray capacity and don't mention there are separate tanks.

I asked at the factory this week and was told for awhile they plumbed the washer drain into the black tank but stopped doing that midway through the 2006 model year. One of the two standing there said it plumbs now directly into the dump pipe and the other said he thinks it goes into the shower gray again. We will check it when the new one arrives and our washer/dryer are moved over.
Old 07-15-2006, 01:51 AM   #50
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our delivered in May 3400 dumps the W/D directly to the dump pipe..It bypasses all the tanks..We have decided, on this trip and after paying 12.00 to do three loads of wash, that a W/D is in our future...ASAP.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:16 AM   #51
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Rich, In our rig it has small area for washer so we had to go with Splendine all in one, really did not know that you could get th separate. Wife loves it because with kids they dirty up lots of clothes, she will do couple small loads each day or night during sleep. The all in one wrinkles the clothes pretty good. if I had the room such as your 3400 I think I would go with stackable unit. You can actually do more clothes that way one in dryer and one washing plus they would not get as wrinkled as the all in one. Just my thoughts after having the all in one experience.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 03:31 PM   #52
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Broome, we use the Downey liquid softener in our Splendide and found the clothes come out as well as our separate washer and dryer at home. If you do a full wash load in the Splendide, then you must remove half the clothes for drying to get good results. It will wash more clothes than it dries.

I do agree if you have the space, the two separate laundry appliances are probably the way to go but we only wanted to go for a smaller unit like the 2955RL and we are so tickled pink that you could get a washer/dryer in a unit this small. The same model Cardinal did not have this feature and Donna was determined to be able and do laundry in our own Fiver. We love the Splendide.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:53 PM   #53
KSGirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5859
Pud2: Is the Kenmore compact washer/dryer combo a 110 Volt dryer or 220 volt? If it fits, I would be interested in looking at one for the 3400 Rl that we have on order. Also, does the washer dryer prep include a vent installed for the dryer? A washer/dryer would be handy for sure, if not we can go to a laundramat for awhile. Thanks for any info you can provide.

chevylvr
KSGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:07 PM   #54
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Chevylvr,

Others will have to let you know for sure about the voltage. I did see posts from various others about sets that had either voltage. One guy wired up a 220 outlet by working at the breaker panel to bring two separately phased leads together to run to the outlet. Will be interesting to know how that does when the AC and water heater are running together during a drying cycle.

About the vent. Our 3475 is prepped for a W/D, but there's no outside vent installed. I've walked through other prepped models at dealers, and none had the vents anywhere to be seen. I believe that's probably something that happens when someone takes the plunge and installs a dryer. Maybe it needs to wait, depending on what model one gets.

We used the space for a freezer. I'm tired of going to laundromats. But, I can now find solace in ice cream, and/or sno-cones!

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:13 AM   #55
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Yes that is correct about the vent. My dealer installed mine before I picked up my unit.
Splendide also makes a unit that dries without a vent but everything I have read suggests the vented ones are more efficient at drying clothes.

You would really want to do your homework before you cut that vent hole in the side of your Montana. If you drill through an aluminum stud, that will be a very bad thing. Mine is about 3 feet below the scare light on the front overhang. It is very close to the fibreglass cap and because it is white with 3 louvers, you can not see it in my signature pic even if you enlarge it. If anyone wants a picture of the vent , let me know.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 05:15 AM   #56
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Chevylvr
Steve is correct, the prep does not include the vent. Each model would require the vent at as different location. And then there is one model of the Splendide that does not vent. We almost purchased one as we had talked with several people who had one and loved it. When we went to CW to buy one, they did not have one in stock so we ended up with the vented model. We still have not worked up the courage to cut a hole in Monty so the vent hose lays in the basement and we open the basement door when running the W/D. Makes a little mess but vacuums up easy.
Happy trails............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:53 AM   #57
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
[quote]Originally posted by chevylvr

Pud2: Is the Kenmore compact washer/dryer combo a 110 Volt dryer or 220 volt? If it fits, I would be interested in looking at one for the 3400 Rl that we have on order. Also, does the washer dryer prep include a vent installed for the dryer? A washer/dryer would be handy for sure, if not we can go to a laundramat for awhile. Thanks for any info you can provide.

chevylvr

Old 07-17-2006, 07:57 AM   #58
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
[quote]Originally posted by chevylvr

chevylvr

Yes it is a 110 volt combo with washer on the bottom. You can only run one at a time though. No the prep work from factory does not include vent your installer will have to cut out for that. Does a good job.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:28 AM   #59
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi,
My 220 Volt outlet is on it's own circuit, the two existing 110 volt 20 amp outlets in my '07 3500Rl, are on their own 20 amp breakers, so any combination of washer dryer use will not be a problem for users, even if you have a 110 volt set up on the dryer.
The only voltage limitation will be with the W/D itself.
I like the Splendie chromed plated plastic vent, we ordered one and it's on my to do list.
Don't worry about drilling into a stud, according to Jim, the service manager where I bought mine, Naylor RV, the studs are next to the windows and doors, he said there would be no problem drilling 'clean' around the W/D area.
Oz