Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #81
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Oh well, lesson learned. Moving on.....

Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:24 AM   #82
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

Jim, I sent you a cc email. Let me know if you got it.
Michael, I got a link to facebook, but that is all
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:14 AM   #83
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
You got to look at this from LEO's point of view. They have a job to do and if they have Private vehicles out there with no rear license plate, that just makes it harder on them. Not every 1 ton truck is a nice RV'er and how is he to know you are from Missouri when following you. When you get pulled over most times they already know your life history which makes it safer for them. They know if you got warrants or if the the vehicle is stolen etc. If you don't have a rear plate they are going in blind, which for them makes an already dangerous job more dangerous. Not saying Oz is dangerous but they deal with a lot out there. I agree too that the law was written back when they said trucks, they were talking commercial vehicles, back when the wife would not think of driving a pickup to the grocery store. It is hard to believe they would want a bunch private citizens running around with no rear plates and that law enforcment would agree to it.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:00 AM   #84
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
We have a very good firearms attorney in Kansas City, Kevin Jameson, that has coined the phrase, "It doesn't have to make sense, it's the law". Ozz, good luck with getting 2 plates. Unless there was a law change last year, you won't be getting 2 plates with the vehicle weight you have chosen for you plates. Your situation is the precise reason we lowered the weight rating on our plates so as to have a front and rear plate. Never mind the fact that we are not legal with the weight we pull. I got pulled over 7 times in 4 states before I got tired of it and changed the weight rating on our plates.

Slufoot733, offers good advice, but we already tried that and got stopped buy a Texas Highway Patrol lady to ask what it meant. Just carry a copy of our law and expect to get pulled over from time to time. I argued at the DOR/DMV till I was blue in the face and got absolutely no where. "It doesn't have to make sense, it's the law", in Missouri.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:13 AM   #85
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yep, I know Kevin. A good guy. He spoke at our first CCW class. The state partol officer in Phoenix Hdqtrs I spoke with said it was a bad ticket, and will be dismissed if I go to court. He said it should have never been issued.
He did say that to avoid further trouble, just keep it on the back until I get home.
No amount of paperwork would have satisfied the idiot that pulled me over.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:43 AM   #86
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
You have the right attitude Ozz! That one bonus day cost a little more than the one before and after it, but it was still a bonus day!! If everyone would merely remember that each and every day is a bonus day to be enjoyed, not worried over, then life will be good!!.........and that ends my spreading of a little joy for today! Hee Hee!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #87
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Ozz, I understand your point of view. It just sucks when you are right to still have to pay the price in order to get it behind you. I have done the same a few times myself but it always still bothers me a little that I was right and still had to pay. There is a general expectation that as a professional that you know what you are doing but that did not happen in this case. Times 2.

I understand the officer having probable cause to pull Ozz over for driving a vehicle that appeared to be unregistered. That is acceptable. What is unacceptable was for the officer to issue the citation. Just seeing Ozz's registration should have been all the proof the officer needed to terminate the traffic stop. Even if the officer was not satisfied with what he saw all he had to do is run the registration thru his MDC or have his dispatch do it. That would have settled it right there on the side of the road.

The law is very clear. All 50 states reciprocally accept vehicle registration and driver licensing from other states as long as the vehicle & driver are not operating in commerce. As soon as you do anything that would be considered commercial than you must meet the states requirements for operating a vehicle that you are currently in. That is why most commercial vehicles have Apportioned Plates. Apportioned Plates fall under the International Registration Plan unlike regular state registration that is the sole discretion of the state.

Using a HDT it is important to me to make sure you know the laws regarding licensing and registration. But there are other things that can bite you too. For example a close friend of mine is a retired LEO from California. Larry was pulled over while in visiting family in California because a CHP spotted his siren speakers in his front grill. The CHP asked for his state permit to have sirens/lights on his personal vehicle. Larry explained Texas does not issue a permit but he can only use them if authorized to use them by the local authority and only in that authority's jurisdiction. The CHP quickly reminded him that he was not in Texas. Larry responded but the truck is registered in Texas and it is not illegal for them to be on the truck. About then it dawned on the CHP that because the truck was legal in Texas that it was legal in California regardless of local state law and sent Larry on his way.

Also if you know you are right ask for a supervisor. In Ozz's case it may not have made a difference but most of the time it will. Regardless of what you do for a living the last thing you want to do is demonstrate to your supervisor you do not know what you are doing or talking about. My same buddy was in New York City, he always carries a weapon, says after so many years in law enforcement he feels naked with out it he claims. He was approached by officer and asked he if had a weapon. Apparently when he bent over to pick up something he dropped the officer noticed the bulge/outline on Larry's hip. The officer asked if Larry had a weapon, Larry confirmed he did. The officer asked Larry to surrender the weapon. Being respectful, Larry said he would not surrender his weapon. When the officer officer asked the 2nd time, Larry again respectfully refused and asked the officer to call his supervisor. When the supervisor arrive he got the story from his officer. When the supervisor asked Larry what is going on Larry confirmed what the officer told his supervisor. When Larry finished the supervisor said you are not from around here but you are a cop somewhere aren't you? Larry confirmed he was retired out of California but now lives in Texas. The supervisor asked for ID and Larry complied. At this point original officers face turned white as he now knew his mistake. After inspecting the ID he turned to the office and said I think you owe the nice Lt. an apology as he has been nothing but courteous and respectful. It then went downhill for the officer from there but I am sure he will never make that mistake again. The point is by bringing in the supervisor you now had somebody with a fresh perspective who could see that something was missing and connect the missing dots. It may not always work but is worth a shot if you going to get a ticket anyways. Because once the ticket is issued you now have to go to court or pay it to get it resolved.

Ozz I know you are ready to put it behind you, but I agree I would reach out to the prosecutor if you have not already. Worse case you still pay the fine but a prosecutor will not move forward if he knows the officer is wrong and he will not win the case.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote