Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
New Stuff for my new Toy

A lot has happend in the last couple days.
Yeserday I picked up my rear hitch from a local welder. It went from about 30# to about 70#. It also has holes for 6 more bolts to secure it to the trailer and a 2" reciever. Paint should be dry tomorrow and ready for instalation.

This morning I droped off my trailer at a semi local RV service shop (KB RV Service, Bemidji, MN). Picked it up this evening with a 2nd A/C unit (Dometic Penguin Low Profile) Ducted and connected to Comfort Control Center thermostat. One slight problem, the suppier sent the wrong lower unit. It did not have the quick cool vent. Will be exchanging it myself in a couple days free of charge. They also installed 2 "Fantastic Vent" covers over the fans. We made an arrangement with the dealer for the local guy to do some of the warrenty work so I could avoid a few 3 hour (one way) drives. They fixed a couple things and orderd a few parts. I am very happy with their work. They also noticed a couple other problems that I had missed. A torn seal on the bottom of one slides and an uneven tire wear issue. I have only had the trailer for 2 1/2 weeks and put maybe 700 miles on the tires. I would highly recommend these guys to anyone needing service in the area. We'll see what the dealer says about the tire issue.

I also recieved a package from Camping World today. A pair of BAL 7500# scissor jacks. My wife is quite sensitive to the bouncing of the trailer from suspention and frame flex. I plan on installing the jacks tomorrow just in front of the front tires. I also hope they will help me level the trailer side to side a bit better, or if I forget to block up the tires again.

woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Be careful, those scissor jacks are designed for stabilization, not leveling.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 03:13 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

Be careful, those scissor jacks are designed for stabilization, not leveling.
X2 on that.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Actually, CW sells both stabilizing and leveling scissor jacks. Here's a description of 6500# rated scissor jacks:

"Husky Stabilizing Scissor Jacks.

Our scissor jacks stabilize and level your travel trailer or 5th wheel. Lifting capacity of 6,500 lbs. per jack. Universal design of sturdy steel construction fits most RVs. Permanently mounted jacks are conveniently concealed when not in use. Attaching hardware, instructions and easy-to-use swivel handle are all included. Can be welded on. Easy installation."

Here's the link: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ks-28/coa70135
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
The Jack install was quite easy. The jacks are able to raise the frame of the trailer (tires still on the ground) an inch or two without much effort. They should add a lot of support for the frame and keep some weight off the suspention and tires when parked for long periods.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Do you have any pictures of the install?
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PackerFan

Do you have any pictures of the install?
No pictures, but I could take some. I don't have a active web photo sharing account but I could email some pics. The install was so easy pictures aren't really needed. I placed mine 3" forward of the front suspention spring hanger. Most important thing was making sure you don't hit anything inportant when drilling through the frame. Just take out a screw or two that holds the Coroplast (sheeting) to the frame so you can get your hand in to feel for wires, pipe, or hose. The frame steel is pretty soft and easy to dril through. Wear safty glasses. Bolts (large sheet metal type screws) were included with the jacks and don't require nuts.

One other thing to Note. I used the 24" jacks. The Jacks, when fully retracted are almost perfectly even with the side of the trailer. 30" jacks would stick out a couple inches. Also the 24" jacks just barely hit the ground when fully extended, so placing a block on the ground under them is required.

John
Old 09-02-2012, 02:24 AM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
sounds like that should stabilize to the wife's satisfaction.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:19 AM   #9
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
I'll find out in a couple days. She had to question my desicion to instal them in front of the wheels rather than behind them. Could be one of those "I told you so" moments.... I'm kind of hoping she won't be happy with them. Would give me a good reason to install another set just behind the tires. Sounds like a good idea to me. I could lift the Montana off the ground very easy for wheel, spring maintanance, and for winter storage.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Well, I put the BAL stabilizers to the test yesterday. Set up in a compground and had 3 of the orange plastic leveling blocks down for each tire on the port side. Still had a good port list. Cranked down the port stabilizer with a 4X6 under it and leveled out the trailer. Worked slick as could be with very little cranking effort required. Site is very sandy and had to re-adjust the trailer this morning once it settled a little. Very windy here also and the trailer is quite solid. Just a slight shaking from the higher wind gusts. Wish the weather was a bit nicer but a beautiful campground. Our first time here. Didn't even know this place exsisted until 5 days ago.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
I was just cruising along reading your post and I ran across the word "Bemidji". I was born in Clearbrook and lived there until I was in 8th grade. It sounds like you have a very stable unit.
I wonder how many people know what a Woodtic looks like? All I can say is you live in Woodtic country!
Old 09-08-2012, 05:23 AM   #12
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
I've been in the area close to 17 years. Originally from the Portland, Oregon (Vancouver, Washington) area. Looking to get out of here. Was hoping to go to Florida for the winter again but, some thinks came up. Lots of ticks (and other blood suckers) around here. A R/C buddy gave me the nickname several years ago and it kind of stuck.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #13
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
It is not a bad place to be from! I still have family in the Bagley,Clearbrook area. I am wondering why you would move to Blackduck of all places. I do need to say it is good to see northern Minn. represented on this forum.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #14
kjansen
Established Member

M.O.C. #11522
Actually, I did the same thing with scissor jacks but had to shorten the sewer drain a couple of inches to get the jacks in front of the tires. I did use the 30 inch jacks and they do stick out just slightly, but then they are easier to get to and crank down. I think it does help stabilize the unit but do not try to level with them. I go thru Blackduck all the time on my way to Voyaguer Nat'l Park and my hunting shack. Live in Alexandria.
kjansen is offline   Reply With Quote