Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
Trip routing to south rim Grand Canyon

As noted in another post I am planning a trip to the south rim of Grand canyon. we will be driving south from Salt Lake City,mostly on US-89. Plan on going through Kanab. From that point I'm not to sure what would be the best way to go. Good Sam routing looks like they would have me go to Flagstaff, then north on US-180. Is this the safest way, and only way to get to the south rim?

09 2955rl,5 Sailun 637 , Mor ryde wet bolt kit, 50 amp progressive hard wired surge protector, solar , 4-6 volt Interstate batteries, charge indicator, HD tow hitch ,2-2000w Honda generators, Back up camera,2015 F-350,6.7,
air bags,, 50 gallon Titan Pace Edwards bed cover, TST 507-FT
Keith Schweizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Keith,
From Kanab you have a choice of either ALT 89 or 89. We took ALT 89 but we went to the North Rim.

There is a bit of up and down but we had no trouble pulling the rig. As you can imagine it is beautiful country. The road is a very good two lane highway. After Jacob Lake there is a long relatively steep downgrade but just take your time and gear down. Also take a stop and let things cool off a bit at the nice big pullout they have about half way down. Good place to get a few pics.

Keep on east bound on ALT 89 until you join back up to 89 and continue south. You will intersect highway 64 that leads you into the South Rim section of the Grand Canyon. It is a bit narrower road than 89 but again easily doable pulling your Monty. We took that route into the South Rim area just a couple of years ago. You do not have to go into Flagstaff. When we left the park we took the 180 south. The 180 is a slightly better road then the 64 but both are easily traveled even with our Montys.

Enjoy your trip. Will you be visiting the Bryce Canyon area? Or the Zion Park? We love that part of our country. Some beautiful vistas. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
Dennis,
Thanks so much for that info. You just took a bunch of stress out of my life. As you well know the maps never really show how really sharp the switch backs are, or how steep a grade may be. Your info will be right beside me when we take our trip. I don't think we will have time to visit Bryce or Zion. We will stop somewhere near Kanab on the way down for a night and then stop some where else for a night or two on the return trip to SLC. We have never been to the Grand Canyon or Arizona for that matter, so I hope this will be the first of MANY trips to this area and points south.

Thanks again, Keith
09 2955rl,5 Sailun 637 , Mor ryde wet bolt kit, 50 amp progressive hard wired surge protector, solar , 4-6 volt Interstate batteries, charge indicator, HD tow hitch ,2-2000w Honda generators, Back up camera,2015 F-350,6.7,
Old 02-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Keith there are several CGs right in Kanab. Don't remember the name of the one we stayed in but it was nice but a very tight fit into the site. Just check with one of the online park review places to find specific parks.

By the way there is a place called Dog Town (actually it is called something else but I don't remember the exact name) where they take "last chance" animals. They have a couple of RV sites there. Don't know if they are only for volunteers and/or visitors. We've not stayed there I've only read about them.

Remember that you are going into some high country... up around 7 to 8 thousand feet so watch weather for possible road conditions.

Later, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:01 AM   #5
Keith Schweizer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8841
Dennis, Thanks for all the great info. I did find a place to stay in Kanab. We will also be staying at the Kaibab Camper Village. This is near Jacob Lake area. South rim for 4 nts., north rim 2 nts.As we do a lot of camping in the Uinta mountains we are usually pretty well prepared for the weather should it change.

Thanks again for all the great input, Keith