Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2007, 05:03 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Aging and Alzheimer's

I got a phone call from our good friends tonight, actually the wife called with good news and some sad news. The good news is that they will be able to come South with their 5th wheel this Winter, they have a reservation for their Winter stay. Her hubby had a mild heart attack a few years ago, and has been recovering slowly, but making progress with that. He has symptoms of Alzheimer's now, and has good days and bad days, his driving has become rather dangerous for both of them now, so she tries to take over for him. It's so hard for her to deal with the anger he exhibits at times. They have a good friend who is a retired truck driver. He has made plans to drive their rig South for them, so that will be a burden off her shoulders. They will store the trailer and drive the car down next year.
My father had Alzheimer's, it was so sad to see him slide.
Just reinforces the need to enjoy our lives, and our travels while we can.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Ozz you are so lucky . wait till the big 70 is around the corner and you take every day as the best you can ,, help them out as you could be there some day john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:21 AM   #3
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Alzheimer's is not just for older people. A friend of ours wife began showing symptoms in her late 40's. Sad thing was, she was a nurse and realized what was happening.
My Mother was 80 when she first showed signs. So young, old, we all are at the mercy of this illness.
We all should make ourselves aware of the symptoms and watch for signs. There is medicine out there that can slow it, but not prevent it.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:55 AM   #4
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Amen to that Ozz
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:09 AM   #5
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
A good friend just passed with Alzheimer's. He was just 63.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:14 AM   #6
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Our bodies are a real fine machine, with all the things that can go wrong its amazing we go as long as we do. Today is the present/a present-make the most of it!!!!! To have a friend , be a friend.

ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:16 AM   #7
countrygirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2831
My family has also suffered from alzheimers...my mother had it and started symptoms in her early 80's...and went down hill from there.
All of her siblings had it except for one brother , who is still alive and alert at 88 yrs. young. I have fears of alzheimers and I am doing everything that I can to keep myself alert and healthy. Taking the statin drugs will help those of us with the very high cholestrol condition. It is an awful disease that I hope that someday will have a remedy or cure for it. Just maybe through research they are already finding the causes and some ways of dealing with this terrible disease.
Countrygirl or Shirley
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 05:53 AM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
My brother was only 62 when he first showed signs and had to retire. He is in a home now and doesn't know who I am. He is 73 now and the picture of health otherwise and can walk 3 or 4 miles easily. It is so sad to see him.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:59 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A cruel disease. It took my Father.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #10
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
My mother showed signs we did not recognize right away because she was very active, walked and bowled, volunteered, and was always busy. When she started doing some odd things we finally realized what was happening and we took her car and keys away from her and had her move in with us. That did not work out for many reasons, but she is now in an enhanced care facility not too far from here. She was 81 when we finally had to take steps to protect her. It is a sad disease and I can find nothing positive to say about it. No one else in our family has had it. We have wondered about estrogen since she took it (without the progesterone component) until just before she first showed signs. We will probaby never know for sure. She took such good physical care of herself it is almost against her since she will probably live through the worst stages of the disease.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote