Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2006, 01:41 PM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Some of my improvements...

Well, first off, I have to say I am not up to Ozz's standards, but, I did get the following done to our 3400RL:

JT's Strong Arm stabilizers (done a few months ago)

Installed a Dometic low profile A/C for the bedroom.

Had slide toppers installed for each of the four slides.

MotoSat MD500 satellite dish w/ Nomad II controller. Mounted the dish on the roof, rear of the front A/C. Ran the wires through the attic from light to light to fan near shower, which I replaced with a Shurflo remote controlled one, then to the rear area of the converter/Breakers in bathroom, then down the wall in the hall (had to remove wall to glue vent pipe joint that was causing our odor problems), then to the underbelly, then to the rear entertainment slide wire area, then along the square iron, then up through the floor to the space between the wall and the outer wall behind the fireplace, then up to the cabinet above the TV. Phew! Took quite a few hours.

The cable I ran was double cable w/ a ground wire, which should provide some strength when opening and closing the slide. I ran another double cable from the entertainment area to the front of the basement on the passenger side so I can watch TV outside. Had to put a power outlet in the basement to power the TV and battery chargers, etc.

I have two new outlets on either side of the trailer just behind the basement doors, primarily for my air compressor.

Put those door holder thingys on the barn doors for the basement on the driver's side - they work great!

Put a lighted 120 volt switch in Kitchen to turn on/off the hot water heater - much more convenient, now.

Put a Wilson Trucker antenna on the bracket that holds the slide topper on the entertainment slide, ran the cable through a cable TV outside outlet identical to the one that is already on the 3400, and into the cabinet above the TV where it terminates to a KR1 cellular router so that I can have WiFi in and around our trailer. Also in this cabinet is a wireless printer and Dish dual tuner DVR with a UHF remote antenna for the second tuner, allowing me to use the UHF remote to contol the channels on the bedroom and basement TVs.

Swapped the couch and the recliners and then ditched the recliners for new ones from RC Willey - much more comfortable, in our opinions.

Swapped the mattress with a sleep number type of mattress with 4 inch thick foam on top, all tucked into the mattress outer covering.

Permanently mounted DynamicFrames.com picture frames in various photograph configurations to the walls of the Monty so that we can have our memories with us wherever we go. You might want to check out their website - pretty cool!

Added an indoor/outdoor clock/temp thing I got from Wally World.

Purchased two Honda 2000 generators with the RV parallel kit - they work great and fit in the front compartment. Chained them up to one of the welded cross bars in the front based on the post about the thefts of generators on this forum, and at the same time, chained up the spare tire, based on another post.

Added a furnace filter to under the stairwell cold air return for the furnace - it has made a big difference.

Added a battery operated control head to the vacuum - now we can get the dog hair out of the carpet!

Installed a marine grade battery switch in the front compartment.

Put stainless steel hinges on the plastic wire holders under the slides - one was almost broken, so cut the other two and fixed a problem in the making.

Finally, I installed an extended stay hose on the passenger side propane tank so that I can use it for the BBQ, while watching the news.

With the GlideRide pin box and Super 5th hitch, this pretty much does it.

Next on the agenda is the door opener for the screen door that I read about on this forum.

Oh, and I almost forgot the most important addition - Member license plate holders for the trailer and truck.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Mike, I am impressed! Hat's off to you.
The cable from the Dome Sat. down and around and up, was a Bear, I know..
Take care, Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Ozz,

Where was the second picture taken - of your wife on a board walk?

And, thanks for the compliments - coming from you is nice.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:15 PM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
snfexpress, you might not have caught up with Ozz, but your sure getting close. All are great improvements, excellent work.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
IMPRESSIVE LIST

and the photo frames are pretty cool!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:29 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Michael,

You have either been real busy or you've been keeping some of this a secret . Handsome list of goodies. How do you like your glide ride?

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:38 PM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Not having any experience with any other type of pin box (this is the first 5er we have ever purchased), I can tell you that after nearly 10,000 miles of pulling the Monty, thru 5 states in about 6 months, it is GREAT! Check out glide-ride.com for a video.

I credit RickFox for the suggestion re: the GlideRide.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:41 PM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Mrs. CountryGuy,

My wife and I had been looking for a good picture frame strategy for some time, and when looking at a See Ya! 5th wheel with a friend, saw a picture frame similar to DynamicFrames.com. I did alot of searching, and came up with this company.

What's really neat is that they stay in place, hold up to 30 pictures per slot, and were really easy to install.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:48 PM   #9
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
snfexpress

After reading all the things you did, I think that I need a break, too much done in one reading made me tired. Great job!!!

Larry
Old 10-14-2006, 02:43 AM   #10
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Well done and thanks for so many great ideas.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:57 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

Ozz,

Where was the second picture taken - of your wife on a board walk?

And, thanks for the compliments - coming from you is nice.

Mike, the small one was San Antonio, Texas.
Sue was in Tombstone, at Big Nose Kate's Saloon, and my truck was on the dunes at South Padre, Texas.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:24 AM   #12
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Michael,

With all the work you've done to the Monty, when have you had time to use it?? LOL Thanks for sharing your upgrades. It's nice to personalize these coaches and make them reflect our own needs.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:53 AM   #13
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Ozz,

Thanks - looked like it might have been Virginia City, so was wondering.

Fulltimedreamer,

Actually, our very first outing was Easter weekend, and since then we have traveled in 5 states and are currently in Moab, UT, heading towards St. George, then the Grand Canyon, then to Lake Havasu City, AZ.