Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2006, 11:11 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
remote propane indicator - where to buy

At the rally show and tell I promised several of you the urls where you can buy the remote propane out indicator I have in our Montana so I can tell from inside when the red flag goes up on the propane regulator. Here are two urls. I'd swear I posted these last week but can't find the thread.

http://www.eatonhitch.com/remote-cha...or-p-6466.html

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/l...ator-valve.htm

The first one has it for about five bucks cheaper than the second one.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Hey Steve - coincidence I guess! I wasn't at the rally but just finished installing mine.

As a part timer, I didn't like the fact I had to remove the batteries everytime I shut the LP tanks down for storage, so I installed a switch to bypass the AA battery to the circuit board.

http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL152.../194445190.jpg
http://pic30.picturetrail.com/VOL152.../194445222.jpg

I also had to relocate the regulator further down to get room for the switch on top of the regulator. I mounted the indicator at floor level by the stairs. Just enough to catch my eye but not in my face. Wiring routed relatively easy under the refrigerator then out through the existing wiring loom in the basement to the LP cabinet.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Steve and Brad, I really like these guages. I too need one of these badly since my auto change over valve just dones not seem to keep the green pushed high enough to read.....even when the tanks are full it is hard to distinguish red from green. At any rate, I am bookmarking these pages and will order soon. Thanks to you guys for sharing. Brad I do like the location in view when you enter your coach. Good idea.

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:27 AM   #4
rvghostdriver
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4518
I want one, how did you install the off switch? How did you wire it?
rvghostdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:26 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
RVGhostrider,

Inside is a small circuit board with two AA battery holders on either side. I just intercepted the battery circuit at one of the battery holder + ends and introduced the switch to the circuit.

I cut and removed the existing tiny wire going from the + end of one battery holder to the circuit board. Then attached small wires (used some of the supplied cable) from the switch and soldered one wire to the battery holder + end and the other to the circuit board where the battery holder used to be connected to.

Clumsy but it saves unscrewing the faceplate and removing the batteries everytime you store the RV. I'm not sure why they didn't just install a small switch at the factory.

Brad
Old 10-10-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
RVGhostrider,

Inside is a small circuit board with two AA battery holders on either side. I just intercepted the battery circuit at one of the battery holder + ends and introduced the switch to the circuit.

I cut and removed the existing tiny wire going from the + end of one battery holder to the circuit board. Then attached small wires (used some of the supplied cable) from the switch and soldered one wire to the battery holder + end and the other to the circuit board where the battery holder used to be connected to.

Clumsy but it saves unscrewing the faceplate and removing the batteries everytime you store the RV. I'm not sure why they didn't just install a small switch at the factory.

Brad
Old 10-11-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I sent an email to Marshall Gas suggesting that they install a switch on the remote indicator to eliminate removing the batteries everytime you park the RV and turn off the tanks.

They actually responded within the day and called me direct. He said they did not install a switch to keep costs down. He also said the draw on the system is so low, batteries should last for years even if you leave the light flashing when you store the RV. The cover states to remove the batteries when not in use primarily because of corrosion that can occur if left unchecked. For those thinking of installing, I wouldn't bother with the switch. Just take the batteries out when you know you are going to long term store (probably like you do for your smoke/CO detectors).

He also left his number 800-877-2495 EX 4115 Ed Lee Sr, Marshall Gas and said to feel free to call him for any problems. Might be a good contact for anybody having trouble with the regulator/valve system, also made by Marshall Gas.

Brad
Old 10-13-2006, 09:18 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
O.V., I hope it solves the problem but I have some reservations about that. The unit works by replacing the black vinyl cap on the regulator with a hard plastic cap that snaps onto the regulator. Inside is a plunger that fits through the hole in the top of the regulator. When the red flag pops up, it pushes on the plunger which then closes the contacts, causing the light in the rig to flash. If that red/green indicator is not working correctly on your regulator then I'm not sure how the remote will react. You may end up needing a new regulator, too.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote