Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Need and Op???.

Guys I am thinking about replacing the trans in my truck. it has 145K on it and Its working but sometimes it will hunt gears and just dont act right. The trans is the weak point on dodge trucks. Now I love my old truck so I am going to fix some things while I am at it. I am going to add some HP to it. so my question is about transmission companys. I can get a chysler factory reman with 3yr 100# miles or a jasper with the same warranty for the same money. some have told me the jasper is up graded from the stock trans. Local shops will rebuild mine for less but with nowhere near the warranty You just have to take your chances. I dont like that ops.
Has anybody had any dealings with them.
thanks bobby

scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I sure dont like the idea of no warintee, I think I would go with the one from Dodge 3 years or 100K that sounds like a great deal to me, a question though if you have a problem will any dodge dealer honer it.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
get a magazine called diesel power. in that book they have some very good shops that will fix your trans stronger than new with warranty.the trans that will be 4 yimes as strong.they use them in pulling contests with up to 1000 hp check it out. all it costs is a price of the magazine
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
You might check into some of the popular builders. Sun Coast, Gorend Bros, DTT, ATS, etc. They all use a better torque converter and for a price you can get some billet shafts. If you are adding around 100hp you really should check into something stronger than stock. Your 48re is a good tranny but it won't take a fuel box and injector change without some better parts.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
My experience with my Ford transmission repair/replacement by outside facilities proved to be a disaster. It wasn't until I went to Ford for a replacement that I got satisfaction. All the other places "said" they warranted their work but none came through. I was taken for $6500 over a period of three years. Won't go into naming them here. I'd stick with those who know the vehicle best, the dealer.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:48 PM   #6
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
More input to add to the confusion ....My son-in-law has a diesel repair business and has installed many Jasper transmissions.(His preference over stock transmissions on the older trucks). They are a good and reputable product and can be upgraded over the stock transmissions. They are national so getting warranty work anywhere in the USA is not a problem. Suggest you talk to a transmission shop or directly to Jasper engineering and get some input. Good Luck with your research and decision.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:27 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Bobby a little different situtation but one time I was looking to rebuild or replace a engine in my Truck. After much research I went with a Crate engine from GM. It came with everthing except the starter and TBI system. The key was the warranty 36 months or 36,000 miles and the selling point was GM would repair any problem with the engine at any GM dealership. I later gave the Truck to my Son and it now has 204,000 miles and had no issues. I recomend the Chysler Transmission. Good Luck. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:01 AM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Which ever transmission you get, be sure it can handle the extra horse power you'll be getting.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #9
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
I would never put a factory transmission back in there. The factory torque converter is way too loose. Just the upgrade to a good converter like Suncoast that was mentioned and you will see a big difference in performance and power!
You are probably having the same problem I am having with my 97 Dodge. Throttle position sensor is going bad. My truck will shift in and out of lockup and 4th gear. If I push down on the pedal more it stops. There is a dead area in it causing that problem. Go to diesel truck resource, it's a real good Dodge diesel truck website. Search TPS sensor and you will have a evening of reading about how to repair, replace, or bypass them.
Do the transmission once right and it will be the last one you will need.
Then we can talk about power upgrades!!
P.S. I missed getting to talk to you at the rally last fall.
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #10
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
The TurboDieselRegister Club or TDR would likely have been and still could be of some use to you.
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/

I've been a member for over 2 years and have learned so much about my Dodge. Their publication is my most looked forward to magazine. In their magazine, several Transmission Companies advertise and at least one Torque Converter and Transmission replacement story has been covered in my short membership tenure.
Their quarterly magazine purpose:
"The purpose of the Turbo Diesel Register is to give Dodge/Cummins owners more satisfaction in the ownership of their pickup. How so? Each quarter we publish a magazine with 25+ columns. Since the Fall of '93, the publication has provided an open forum for the exchange of information from the manufacturers to the owners, from members to members and from owners back to manufacturers. The quarterly TDR magazine, a 150 - 180 page publication, features technical tips, maintenance basics, product evaluations, owner feature stories, industry news, vehicle history and development and more."

Their online Forum is almost as good as this one.
Much of their info has been migrated online, but is only available to members.
I recommend any Dodge owner join.
Should my endorsement encourage anyone to join, please reference my referal: Charles Howard
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #11
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Thanks for the input guys. I have looked at gorend bros and some others they are very exps. I know you get what you pay for but I am having trouble going that high. Mopar1 I am a member of diesel truck resource and was on last night and downloaded the page to test the tps. will do it tomorrow I have been thinking that was a problem. I have already talked to my dodge man about a new one. I talked to you when you were pulling in and unhooking but never did get back to you before we had to leave. I am leaning towards jasper since I am only talking about appos 80 to 100HP more.
thanks again bobby
Old 11-21-2009, 02:52 AM   #12
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Bobby, do you realize how much torque 80-100 hp will be? You won't be happy with a factory rebuilt torque converter. Thats what I have. It's got a heavy duty clutches in it. The trans has been rebuilt with a shift kit. While towing it lets the engine rev to 2300rpms and the rpm's never drop as it's shifting. First 3 gears only get me up to 45 mph then when the torque converter does lock up it bogs down and I can pick up speed.
Someday I am going to buy a Suncoast TC and add it to my rebuilt trans. Now maybe a Jasper rebuilt trans with a Suncoast converter would be good.
I picked the Suncoast because of there warranty. I think it's lifetime no mater what happens.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:00 AM   #13
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Oh yeah, I am mopar1ton on diesel truck register. mopar1 was taken. I am not very active there though.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #14
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

My experience with my Ford transmission repair/replacement by outside facilities proved to be a disaster. It wasn't until I went to Ford for a replacement that I got satisfaction. All the other places "said" they warranted their work but none came through. I was taken for $6500 over a period of three years. Won't go into naming them here. I'd stick with those who know the vehicle best, the dealer.

Orv
Orv, whenever I read a post such as yours, I wish I could have at the time given you two names one is BTS and the other is John Woods, BTS is in Arkansas ,and JW in California, either one you would have had to do it only once. Two best older ford truck transmission builders in the country. BTS builds just one grade and it would be the same build if it goes in my truck or a truck built for racing very proven transmission builder. John Woods builds different levels depending on application and what you want. IMO your post would have been different if you would have known about these two.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #15
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Thanks guys for all the replies. I spent most of today cking the tps it is some of my problem. it is not letting the tc lock up right. so I will get a new one monday and see how that works. the trans works great and does not slip when locked up so I just might only have a tps problem for now. I am going to get this right before I do anything with the eng. Also some of today preparing to "DEEP FRY TURKEYS" tomorrow. hey its a redneck thing.
bobby
Old 11-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #16
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
I've heard deep fried turkeys are real good. Never tried one though.
Let us know how the new tps works.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:44 AM   #17
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Hi Bobby....If you do increase your power it would be a good idea to put gauges on the truck, mainly a EGT gauge.

Bill
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:32 PM   #18
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Bill I am looking at gauges now you are right. I am still trying to decide what all to do. I would really rather be camping somewhere.
bobby
Old 11-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #19
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
Bobby, how many turkeys are you frying? Got my air bag suspension kit attached to the truck. Got ready to hook up airlines and was missing 2 ftgs. Now waiting on Firestone and UPS.

ED
winter texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:06 PM   #20
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Ed I sure would like to be going to tx with yall. I am trying to find a way for maybe feb or march dont know yet. I fryed 3 today and the relatives and kids came. I started to hide in the closet it was real ulgy. these folks are pro eaters. "LOL" we really Had a great time. I also want to wish everyone a safe and happy thanksgiving.
bobby