Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2008, 05:15 AM   #41
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Just some additional info for your decision process:

If you look in your manuals, there is a little flyer about the LP pigtails (hose connections) that also serve as an overflow safety valves in the event the plumbing is destroyed in an accident ahead of the regulator. Also mentioned above, the tanks have an internal overflow device that slams closed when the flow exceeds normal use, which provides protection if the tanks are ejected.

I believe Waynem stated above, open flames are a hazard at fueling stations, but so are your electronic ignitors. It is more effective to shut off the fridge, HW tank, and furnace than it is to just shut the propane valves. Theoritically if you just close the propane, all of the automatic ignitors will start trying to relight once the fuel runs out, which are an equal hazard to the flame.

I think you will find there are far more fires and explosions in RVs while parked and in use than there are down the road. What that means is, LP is a hazard that needs to be respected whether you are traveling, camping, or storing.

I personally travel with it "on" and rely on the engineered safety features. I run the fridge, which occassionally goes to fail in a cross wind. I've never had the need to try running the furnace or HW down the road, so I'm not sure if they will stay lit or not.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:58 AM   #42
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
This is very interesting, as usual for the MOC. The hazards seem to be of two kinds: the hazard of LP getting loose and igniting; and the hazard of other flammable gases being ignited by ignition sources/devices in the trailer. On the second point, how flammable is diesel vapour? I'm guessing that it's less flammable than gasoline vapour, but I'd appreciate an educated opinion on this. If it's less flammable, then filling up at the diesel pumps might be less risky than at the gas pumps, provided they are separate.
Also, it would seem safest to refill the propane tanks away from the rig, not while they are still in the compartments.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:23 PM   #43
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
KathyandDave,

Diesel is much less flammable then gasoline. But unless the pumps are far apart there still could be a danger of the rig appliances igniting gasoline vapor. From what I've read, however, while the danger is real there is very little chance of this happening. I've never met anyone who has actually witnessed such an event. Actually never even heard of anyone "knowing" someone who has seen such a thing. And I know several ex-firemen!

We always fill the propane tanks away from the rig. I'm not sure that salesmen are allowed to fill the tanks while they are in the rig. Of course if your tank is built into the vehicle, like in a MH, then it is OK.

HamRad

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:38 AM   #44
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We always have our propane on and fridge running when on the road. The only exception is those rare places where signage says to turn it off, such as the Chesapeake Bay Bridge between the Norfolk area and the peninsula. It's a good idea to shut propane appliances off when fueling, also.

In the latest Trailer Life area, the techie admitted he runs with his propane on.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote