Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2005, 01:47 AM   #1
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Cambridge Going Away

We were told by our dealer that Keystone is discontinuing the Cambridge and they were only few left left. Any thoughts or confirmations.

Wa4bmg

wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:25 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We knew they had suspended production, so keystone said on our factory tour in Oct, to fill a FEMA order. We also were told by a Keystone dealer that the Cambridge was to be discontinued..If so I am not surprised, although a fine unit I always was of the opinion that there was not room in the market place for another unit in that price range.Those that got the Cambridge got a fine unit.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 02:43 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Does this mean the Big Sky will have a comeback?
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:23 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Well, the plant is still there, so I imagine something will come out of it. We will just have to wait and see. Personally, I think an upgraded version of the Montana with some of the improvements we discuss on the forum would be a good idea. That could well be a new improved "Big Sky". (But that is just my opinion).

I know nothing about the inner workings of the RV business, but I am surprised that they would drop the Cambridge so quickly, it must take time to build a reputation and customer base for a high end unit. I could see them re-working it, but I am surprised if they really are dropping it altogether.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 05:04 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Welll..lets see if MOC'ers have any speculative powers.What would we do with Cambridge gone.I could also never understand why they made the Montana and the Everest, they are so similar and in the same price range.(then of course why does GM build the Chevy and GMC truck???) My guess is that as with everyone else, Ford, GM, Etc..It is a $ issue.I bet Thor/ keystone had a down year . I would drop the Everest line and increase production on my proven money maker..Montana and perhaps the best seller in the mid price range which I think is Couger......Is that a HIT or a MISS???
Old 12-02-2005, 07:36 AM   #6
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
OntMont, I was thinking the very same thing when I saw this post. It really feels like there was not enough time for the Cambridge to carve a niche in its price range market. Given its lofty price tag, it would seem that even more time would be in order. I wonder how much market research Keystone conducted before plans for the Cambridge were ever approved?

Rich, I think what you say about similar makes and models has long been the course. Look at the Yukon and Denali from GM or the old versions of the Thunderbird and the Cougar from Ford in the 80s and 90s. I totally agree with your Montana versus Everest scenario in regard to focusing on what sells, but perhaps it is the subtle changes that might appeal to one corner of the market but not the majority that these manufacturers are actually addressing.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:35 AM   #7
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I already own a Cambridge so really don't care if they discontinue the line. But I was just wondering why anyone would believe anything a dealer told them about much of anything. Especially if there is a deal involved, they are inclined to say anything to add an emotiaonal element to the negotiation. I vote we wait until Glenn gets there and we can ask him the facts. I'm sure it will be a long time before he is corrupted by the environment.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:54 AM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I was told Keystone stopped production on the Cambridge to allow for FEMA production. The Cambridge is not going away, actually they are doing some redesigning of the floor plans. I know they are changing the layout of the computer desk and tv/fireplace slide along with some other changes. My dealership already has orders for another 4 Cambridge units. Guess the old we will have to wait and see game is in play now.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:57 AM   #9
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
I posted on this site after visiting the Toronto RV show that we had been told by the US Representative from Cedar Creek RV and the Representative from Hartland RV that the Cambridge was being discontinued. Had I been told by a Salesperson I might have doubted it but these were Senior Management from these Companies. Diana
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 09:45 AM   #10
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
DiananColin,
With all due respect, I don't think "senior management" has much more credibility than anyone else in distribution. I used to work at Honeywell Home and Building back when it was still really Honeywell. It was absolutely amazing the rumors that came out of distribution. Like any other hierarchial organization, the rumors that came along had two common characteristics: 1) they were always the worst possible scenario and 2) they were always a done deal. The rumor may very well be true but for all the reasons stated by OntMont, Wordsmith, Montana Sky, and others, I'll believe it when I see it.
Dave
Old 12-02-2005, 12:03 PM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Dave you and I may differ on a number of different subjects but on the subject of "rumors" I agree with your I'll believe it when I see it 150%. I like to hear the words from the horse's mouth and not from the competition.

As to your…
Quote:
quote: I vote we wait until Glenn gets there and we can ask him the facts. I'm sure it will be a long time before he is corrupted by the environment.
The way I see it, it will be a very long time before I get the job much less corrupted.
It has now been over two weeks since the original interview and two weeks exactly since I was to be told whether or not I had the job. At this point, I don't think it's going to happen after all.

At the initial interview with the GM I stressed the importance of support from the techs, office and management. I was told that I would get all the support I could ask for…..Yeah Right!!

On Wednesday the 14th, the day of the initial interview with the GM I was told to return Friday morning and pick up the employee package. I arrived at Friday at 10AM and no one in the office knew what I was talking about and the GM was out of the office. I was told to return in about an hour. I returned at 11:30 and the package was ready. The package consisted of the normal employment application papers including a form for a drug test. How difficult would it have been to throw that together on Wednesday or a least the first time I was there Friday morning. On Monday the 19th I returned the completed package. I gave the package directly to the GM and was told by the GM that he would call me on Friday the 25th with the results. I received no call on Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday. (They are open 7 days a week) Monday about noon I called them and was told the GM was busy and he would get back to me. Taking no chances I made sure they had my name and phone number. On Wednesday around 1 I again called and this time the GM was out of the office. Again I left my name and phone number. It is now Friday evening and I still have not received that call.

If this is the kind of office and management support I’m to expect maybe I’m better off looking elsewhere.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 12:38 PM   #12
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Does this mean the Big Sky will have a comeback?
Nope the only thing going to come out of that factory is the 2980RL. HA HA one of the best floorplans on there seliction
Old 12-02-2005, 01:42 PM   #13
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Glenn,
Don't get discouraged. If this is what you want to do, it will happen. If not here, then someplace more appropriate. Also, I doubt you would be corrupted--too damn ornry (He he he}
Dave
Old 12-02-2005, 03:34 PM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Glenn, I believe they have NO CLUE how big of a loss they are on the verge of experiencing. I have had the experience of jumping to conclusions, though, only to find that it was nothing at all like my imagination was able to conjure up. Human nature = If you don't know, assume the worst. This may be just a weird set of circumstances. One thing - I imagine they are not in a big rush this time of year to be hiring salesmen, and the GM may have something really pressing going on (personal or business) that is distracting him.

I can't imagine a GM not just saying, "Sorry, just don't need a salesman right now." Maybe he's intimidated by you? How do you become a GM of a dealership without having some backbone? Unless maybe it's owned by "Uncle Joe"?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:52 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave..One other point to consider.You may be exactly the kind of salesperson the GM DOES NOT want.If so not to worry.There are plenty of dealerships that will be glad to have a salesperson with your values.Don't know how it is in your area right now but around here(Northern , Ohio) there are cobwebs growing off salespersons...
Old 12-03-2005, 02:35 AM   #16
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Glen, I do hope something works out for you. I was looking forward to hearing your "tales from the other side". Would make great campfire fodder at a rally!

All the best,
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 03:19 AM   #17
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
I was also looking forward to hearing Glenn's stories. But think about it. Here is a potential employee with knowledge of the industry and the communication has already fallen through the cracks. Where is the potential for support from this dealership. Out the window if I were betting.

Back to keystone. Big Sky is closer dollar wise to their current customer market.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:19 AM   #18
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Dave you and I may differ on a number of different subjects but on the subject of "rumors" I agree with your I'll believe it when I see it 150%. I like to hear the words from the horse's mouth and not from the competition.

As to your…
Quote:
quote: I vote we wait until Glenn gets there and we can ask him the facts. I'm sure it will be a long time before he is corrupted by the environment.
The way I see it, it will be a very long time before I get the job much less corrupted.
It has now been over two weeks since the original interview and two weeks exactly since I was to be told whether or not I had the job. At this point, I don't think it's going to happen after all.

At the initial interview with the GM I stressed the importance of support from the techs, office and management. I was told that I would get all the support I could ask for…..Yeah Right!!

On Wednesday the 14th, the day of the initial interview with the GM I was told to return Friday morning and pick up the employee package. I arrived at Friday at 10AM and no one in the office knew what I was talking about and the GM was out of the office. I was told to return in about an hour. I returned at 11:30 and the package was ready. The package consisted of the normal employment application papers including a form for a drug test. How difficult would it have been to throw that together on Wednesday or a least the first time I was there Friday morning. On Monday the 19th I returned the completed package. I gave the package directly to the GM and was told by the GM that he would call me on Friday the 25th with the results. I received no call on Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday. (They are open 7 days a week) Monday about noon I called them and was told the GM was busy and he would get back to me. Taking no chances I made sure they had my name and phone number. On Wednesday around 1 I again called and this time the GM was out of the office. Again I left my name and phone number. It is now Friday evening and I still have not received that call.

If this is the kind of office and management support I’m to expect maybe I’m better off looking elsewhere.
Gee Glenn, this is similar to the same type response we have heard from other people who who dealt from them too. They do do not have the best reputation for follow up or sevvice. Also when we were told about the Cambridge there was no "deal" connected with it. That particular dealer that told us, liked the Cambridge and has sold a number of them this year. They they said they had comments about the excessive weight compared to units in the same price class and that some of their customers had to upgrade their tow vehicle to safely tow the unit. A 3/4 ton truck is definitly was not recommended from a safety standpoint. Yeah you can juice the engine but you still have to deal with suspension and brakes. I would have gone to a F450 or equiv. if we had gone to a Cambridge. What does Jeff Rank say about the "rumor"? Sorry you having the challenge getting on the payroll. We hope it works out. Merry Christmas to you and Lorraine. We may see you in Jan.

Wa4bmg
Old 12-04-2005, 04:36 AM   #19
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
It is true that the Cambridge is too heavy for the 2500HD class tow vehicle. The pin weight on ours is near 3800 pounds when loaded. It takes us way over the tire rating. We investigated vehicles up to the 4500 and 5500 series. NONE of these vehicles can get a loaded Cambridge inside the CGWR of these vehicles because the tow vehicles themselves keep getting heavier. In the end, we settled on a 3500 DRW configuration. The only rating we exceed is the CGWR and not by a big percentage.

The Cambridge is no doubt a heavy Coach. But, everyone knew that going in. It is a great unit. We are very glad we got it especially if it gets discontinued. It is truely a pleasure to tow and use.
Dave
Old 12-04-2005, 04:45 AM   #20
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave e Victoria

It is true that the Cambridge is too heavy for the 2500HD class tow vehicle. The pin weight on ours is near 3800 pounds when loaded. It takes us way over the tire rating. We investigated vehicles up to the 4500 and 5500 series. NONE of these vehicles can get a loaded Cambridge inside the CGWR of these vehicles because the tow vehicles themselves keep getting heavier. In the end, we settled on a 3500 DRW configuration. The only rating we exceed is the CGWR and not by a big percentage.

The Cambridge is no doubt a heavy Coach. But, everyone knew that going in. It is a great unit. We are very glad we got it especially if it gets discontinued. It is truely a pleasure to tow and use.
Dave
Dave, thanks for your comments. The Cambridge is truley a beautiful unit. Sounds like you are doing your homework on the tow vehicle. We currently have a F250 with the 6.0 /tow pkg. We have been looking a an upgrade to a F350 dually possible with the towboss potion which takes it to 26000 GCWR. What is the wt. of the Cambridge loaded. Thanks for your comments

wa4bmg