Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2005, 02:04 PM   #1
montanared
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3903
How high is too high?

I know this is a stupid question, but I really don't know the answer. After my recent trip to Tampa (and I go there 6 times a year)I have decided to install a second Air Conditioner in my 3685FL. My concern is height. I am considering a Coleman Mach 3 PS, because they only pull 10.5 amps. But that will take the trailer height to just over 13 feet. I'm sure I'll be fine on highways, but is there a "standard" maximum height for RV's?

montanared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:31 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I would think you will be getting to the max. height at 13'. The specs for my 3670 say it is 12'-11". I think most of the overpasses have at least a 14' clearance but am not absolutely sure about that. Hope someone else more knowlegable comes along to answer your great question.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:39 PM   #3
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I added a Carrier 13.5 unit as my second a/c and I am @ 13'3" to the top of the second a/c. I wouldn't go over 13'6" or you will need a permit to move the trailer in most states. The big trucks that are over that have to have an over sized permit to travel thru Iowa. At least here in Iowa most bridges are marked if they are under 14'.
So far my biggest concern has been low hanging branches getting from the house to the big roads.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:42 PM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Last time we ran the PA turnpike the limit was 13 foot 6 inches. If you set off the infared, I think you were denied access. Been a couple of years.

Trucker maps have a lot of great data on them about height limitations. Stop at the first truck stop you see and have a look.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 03:03 PM   #5
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
I have been researching that myself and found a low profile unit made by Duo Therm that is also a high effeciency unit. It may lower your height. That was a concern of mine as well.
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 03:20 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Most big trucks on the road today are 13' 6". You are pretty safe on most all super hiways but be careful on some of the states secondary roads. The past 2 weeks here in western New York we came upon many low clearances. Quite a few were even under 12'. Fortunately we weren't pulling the Monty.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 04:57 PM   #7
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
True Glenn! We have an underpass here that is 11'9". Guess why we didn't choose to keep the Monty in storage on the other side?? The suggestion of the truckers' map is a good one. We frequently use ours--but it is still not fool-proof. How many of us have seen those semis with the tops peeled back like a tuna can lid? BTW montanared--the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask so no apologies needed. Answers are what this place is all about!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:26 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The Motor Carriers Atlas is available at truck stops and most large bookstores such as Borders and Barnes & Noble. In the front is a state by state listing of low clearance locations. It also has regulations that I would bet includes height limits. I can dig it out and look if you need that info. I highly recommend this atlas for anyone doing much towing in areas they are not familiar with.

If you use Street Atlas with a GPS, there is a draw file containing low clearance locations. I use this, too, to check planned routes.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 02:34 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

What is a draw file on Street Atlas?? Is that the Delorme program?? If it is, then I don't have it, and don't know how to access it. BUT, is there something similar on Streets and Maps by Microsoft?? And, if so, how do I access that?? I don't remember seeing it.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:36 AM   #10
montanared
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3903
Thanks to all!! I hate to single out any one in particular, as everyone here has been absolutely supportive, but Fordzilla's setup is nearly identical to mine and knowing Ron and Melinda are comfortable at 13'3" gives me a very reassuring feeling. The trucker maps suggested by CountryGuy and Sreigle is a great idea. Since I live within 2 miles of two truck stops (one in each direction), you think I would have thought of that myself.... darn CRS...

Does anyone have a good source for AC's? I went to Camping World (they are having a sale) and almost all air conditioners except the high amp, 15K units are sold out. I am concerned with overloading my electrics and adding a second unit that pulls 15 or 16 amps does not sound like a good idea to me. One or two amps DOES make a difference.

I love this group!!
montanared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 05:44 AM   #11
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Dave-
Someone posted this link here on the forum at one time and I saved it. If you know your route ahead of time you can check out the low clearances before you start.

http://www.aitaonline.com/Low%20Clea...w%20Clearances

Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:01 AM   #12
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by serenity

I have been researching that myself and found a low profile unit made by Duo Therm that is also a high effeciency unit. It may lower your height. That was a concern of mine as well.
`````````````````````````````````````````````
The low profile units were bad about leaking water. I understand they made a kit to stop the leak. The kits were not effective 100% of the time. Perhaps the new low profile units don't have this problem.
Good luck, Weldon
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:17 AM   #13
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We had a low profile that leaked, HOWEVER, look at the slant of the roof where it was installed, quite a bit of angle going on there. I would suggest a bit of research for anyone looking to buy one, but if it is installed in an area of the coach where it could be "flat", you might not have that leaking problem. The low profile was a great unit, but not where it was installed on our Montana. By the way, it was installed mid coach, mid front room, lots of slant on the roof in that area.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:34 AM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I just wanted to ask why we are putting the second A/C units on our Montys? What criteria for climate travel are people using for whether or not they have one installed? Seems like a lot of people are putting them on. Are Montys (mine will be a 3400RL) that hot in summer? If they are that hot in the summer, why didn't Keystone install the second unit as standard equipment? Sorry about all the questions. I'm really curious about this one.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:43 AM   #15
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I'm gonna guess it depends on:

Your personal comfort level, some like the unit to stay at 70 or 72. I am happy at a higher number, if it is 100, I can stand 78.

Where you are gonna live in your Montana, and how long it will stay REALLY hot there. We have some members who stay in the Southwest all year around, and I have seen some pretty high numbers coming out of those folks. We however, have stayed mostly in the north in the summer, and don't have to deal with weeks on end of 90 plus temps.

That said, we were in Iowa during a recent heat wave, very high humidity, well into the 90's, heat indexes of over 105. I think we were able to maintain around 78 with no trouble, but did get it down ever further if we wanted to. Got er cool enough that our glasses fogged up when we went OUTSIDE.

I would also guess that some like to have 2 in case 1 breaks down??

Good question,and I am sure we will all learn something from the responses you are gonna get!
Old 08-28-2005, 07:53 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, I'd recommend getting the prep for the second AC so the framing and the electrical are already in place. Then you can see for yourself whether you need the second AC. That's the way we went. After three years in this Montana we don't see a need for a second AC. We don't spend that much time in hot/humid weather, just about a month each year. If we did, then we'd maybe decide to add the second AC. And it would be an easy install since everything is in place. Getting the original prep is probably a bunch cheaper than having that work done later.

We did have some warm days in Kansas City in late June/early July that made me wonder if we need a second AC. However, I did not have that feeling in prior years so I suspect our AC unit is a bit low on freon or whatever they use these days.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:21 AM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
I get temps well into the 105+ mark during the summer months down at the lake. The main 15,000btu a/c in my 3400RL just cannot keep the coach cool. When the temps get to that 95+ mark I can get the coach to around 78-82 degrees and that is with the a/c running from almost sun up to sun down. I was going to add the second a/c this spring but got hurt on the job and have not been working so money is staying in my bank instead of spending it. I will be adding the second a/c this coming spring along with a verticle awning for the back window and window awnings over the sides as well. That should help keep the coach much cooler up here in the high desert.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 11:21 AM   #18
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We added a satellite antenna on the roof under a dome and it is 13'4". We have no prolems on the freeways as they are 14' or higher. I watch the bridges on the state roads. I go under one that is 13'9" and cringe every time. Take a long level and lay it across the top of your AC. then run a plumb bob down from the level to the ground. Have someone measure it and make sure what your new height actually is. We did this to make sure we weren't any higher
Ken and Velda
DAhlgren Va
MOC 345
2005 3475 Montana
2005 2500HD GMC crew cab with duramax and edge
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 11:36 AM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dave,
About that back awning on your 3400... How much is that and is that a pain to install? Sorry you got hurt. Hope you're doing better.
Dave
Old 08-28-2005, 11:48 AM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Steve. Most of the Montys I have looked at are usually ordered by the dealer with A/C and Gen prep both, so I will definitely look for that to make sure.