Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2005, 11:30 AM   #1
gr8tadventure

M.O.C. #2939
Mountaineer Fifthwheel

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has a Mountaineer fifthwheel? We just got back from our local Montana dealer (Couch's Campers) here in Hamilton, Ohio. We really liked the NEW 329RLS. The sales guy said it is new for 2005. Seriously thinking of ordering one...I have posted before, but thought maybe someone could tell me of their experiences with the Mountaineer brand of fifthwheel. Dealer says it is same frame and build as the Montana, just a litlle less bells and whistles...,but for the price we fell in love with it..Thank You Sincerely, Mr. Stalder

gr8tadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 12:19 PM   #2
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
gr8tadventure

We don't have what you're looking at but we do have a 298 RLS Mountaineer 05 and really like it! What we've found that we appreciate is the stool being separate from the sink and shower which doesn't tie it up for someone else. We have felt that the quality for the price has been very satisfactory! Two opposing slides in the living room would be awesome!! We just purchased our Mountaineer September 25 04 and have been in it 20 some nights already. We traveled to OK. to family over Christmas from NE. with some nights reaching 6 degrees.We kept very warm and all was fine. Our only change has been our thermostat because the original varied in temps as much as ten degrees. For an example it would get down to 60 degrees before the heat would kick on and rise up to 70 before shutting down. This was very inexpensive to change, less then twenty dollars at Wal-Mart (Hunter). Good luck to you shopping for your new fifthwheel and may your new adventures begin. Larry & LaVonne
Old 04-10-2005, 01:40 PM   #3
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I have the 328RLS and absolutely LOVE it. In my opinion a lot of bang for the buck. In fact for what I can get a good condition late model used unit for here in East Texas it would have been foolish to not buy the new Mountaineer. My wife named her "Rosie" for the rosewood color scheme.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 02:14 PM   #4
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
I do not have a fifthwheel, but we have been very happy with our 335RLBS Mountaineer travel trailer. You get a lot of bang for the buck and the fit and finish on ours was great. We have had no warranty issues with our coach and would buy it again.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 11:56 PM   #5
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
We have the 318BHS and like you it was a brand new floor plan when we saw and bought ours. We really love it and would consider another Mountaineer whenever the time comes. We had a couple of minor QA type warranty issue that our dealer resolved but nothing major (missing closet rod in the bunk room, breaker was too small for the slide motor, and the TV antenna seal was not complete so it leaked in the rain when it was up).
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 05:31 AM   #6
Amps
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3430
We have a 2004 Mountaineer 297RKS. We are extremely pleased with it. It has all the room we needed. Compared to many other brands it is of a high quality standard for a very reasonable price. I would buy this unit again without hesitation.
Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:27 AM   #7
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
We're fulltiming in the 297RKS. We found it to be a GREAT bang for the buck. You are correct about the build/decor level. The Mountaineer is the "base" model, for lack of a better phrase. That being said, we are very happy with the RV, both in decor and structure. Luckily, we have not made a return trip to the dealer for repairs in the four months that we've owned it. Agree with Amps, stacks up well against other brands in its class.
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 02:20 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You will find a lot of Mountaineer owners here. We had a chance to see some of the new Mountaineers at a show back in January and were very impressed with them. You may already know Montana and Mountaineer are built in the same factory on alternating days, or were last I heard. At the show in January a highly placed executive with Montana told us the Montana has been upgraded over the past couple of years to take on many of the features previously available only in the Big Sky Montana. Likewise, the Mountaineer has taken on the features of the Montana. He told us the Mountaineer is what the Montana was just a couple of years. So, yes, I'd say the Mountaineer is definitely a good buy. Just my opinion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:37 AM   #9
Montana_1774
Established Member

M.O.C. #1774
Now for the other side. We too have a 2005 Mountaineer 32RLS. Unit went in service on August 1, 2004. The Refrig, Furnance, A/C. has all required work. The three slides have/are leaking. The shower is leaking, Cornice board in back of unit fell. And on Monday April 11, we left Jonesboro, Ar. bound for Phoenix, AZ. We pulled into a RV Park in Santa Rosa, NM and the landing gear under the motor would not come down. Called Keystone thinking I would get some help, but no! it really is their personal problem so they didn't put forth a lot of effort to help me resolve the problem. All I received was the name of a dealer in Albuquerque, NM. and Mesa, AZ. Stopped in Albuquerque and was greeted very well, but no part and waiting time was to long so opted for Mesa. Arrived Mesa and was greeted very well did what was necessary to get problem solved. Mesa dealer (RV Trader) took information on gear and submitted an urge request for approval and shipment of part. Request was received in plenty of time to be acted on that day. But no, it wasn't until this morning when RV Trader called Keystone did any action get taken.

So, draw your on conclusions has to what I think about Mountaineer/Keystone.
Montana_1774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 08:42 PM   #10
Montana_1190
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1190
We also have a 2005 298RLS and have had no problems. We are very happy with our RV.
Montana_1190 is offline   Reply With Quote