Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
bikefever
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9158
Montana Optional Items

Hello

We are in the process of buying our first RV. We think it will be the 2009 Montana 3455 (new model)(A model 3400 for the bed/bath and a model 3665 for the living space). The goal is to put in by the lake for two years till I retire and we figure out what to do with all those buttons.

So my question is: What options did you wish you had. Slide awnings, dual pane windows, fantastic fan vent, a generator. EEK.

It would also help if someone has a starter list of things to buy for inside and out.(ladders, chocks, portable ice machine)

Thanks in advance for you help, we look forward to meeting you one day.

bikefever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:48 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
This usually depends a LOT on lifestyle, etc.

Fantastic fan, at least one or the competitors model (our choice, a bit quieter).

Generator, if you plan on boondocking, yepper. Not in our lifestyle, currently, never say never, so, just not for us right now.

Slide awnings, for us, YEP.

Duel pane windows, we don't have, many here on MOC have em and love em, specially for the extra "quiet" they provide.

Have you checked the HUGE Home page, lots of lists and help there, you could get lost there, Glenn has done such a fab job with it, and you will spend HOURS!! Lots of links, lots of good stuff. Many lists, including the all important PDI ones.

Good luck, welcome to the MOC, enjoy that unit!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
azleflyer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9140
We purchased our Montana used, and had the 2nd a/c unit installed from the dealership which also added 5" to the total height of the unit (nice to have a spare so to speak, gets really hot in Texas). Have the fantastic fan vent which is really nice in mild weather. Purchased a folding ladder to do light bulb replacements on clearance and scare lights and to clean off the top of the slides before bringing them in, sure do wish I had those slide toppers.
azleflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:39 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
That really depends on your lifestyle. We purchased all of the available options and can say that there is not any that we don't use or say we should have not spent the money for. You don't have to boondock to enjoy that generator. It is nice going down the road and hit the remote start and have that unit nice and cool when you stop.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I think a lot depends on where you plan on travelling. We added; slide toppers, 2nd AC, Sat TV system, window awning, a second exhaust fan/vent to go next to the shower, and a garage (skirting around the front cap). We also had the MorRyde Independent Suspension with Disc Brakes and Kodiak never lube hubs, installed at the MorRyde factory in Elkhart. We plan on keeping our unit for 7+ years so wanted the added security that that provides. We full time so that makes a difference also. We also added a 4 cuft refer/freezer. Washer/dryer is an added option that we did NOT opt for. Our unit came prewired for a gen set, but we did not purchase a gen (weight & cost vs usage). We do carry a Honda 2000W portable Gen in case we need some power on the road. We also bought a 6 FT folding ladder, Deluxe wheel chocks from CW, A better sewer hose and clear connector, a portable compressor to air up and dow tires, a torque wrench to check torque on lug nuts, a small tool box of different tools to make repairs on the road, sans a dealer (mine is in Alaska, we're not), garbage can for kitchen, espresso maker (Must Have), dish drainer, seperate computer table (for laptop), storing ottoman for couch. Outside Wilson antenna for internet and cell phones, we started with a portable ice maker which we no longer have due to seperate refer/freezer, a few throw rugs, outside entry mat, lights to hang on your awning, heavy duty awning straps to keep awning in place during windy conditions. This should be enough to get you started. I'm sure someone else has ideas also. Welcome to "The Best Darned Forum on the WWW"!!!! Hope to see you on the road some day.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:39 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are long timers and live in the Montana 8 plus months a year. We do a lot of miles and keep OUT of cold weather. Additional options were//Slide toppers, 2nd A/C, Vacuum.We should have got the larger fridge. We did not get the high gloss finish and find the regular finish is no harder to maintain, or the dual pane windoes as we felt they offered no significant benefit. They are however both very nice options. Personal choice..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
bikefever, A note on the double pane windows: At the Fall Rally last year in Goshen, the Keystone Rep was very adamant that the double pane windows do not add to the R-factor at all. They are for noise abatement only. Any salesman that tells you otherwise does not know what they are talking about. Of course, sound abatement may be enough to justify the cost, personally, I don't think so, but I don't have them and don't feel we need them, my opinion, of course. I do have the gel coat finish and the unit cleans up very well, again, my opinion only.....Like Rich above, we don't do cold weather and hopefully won't in the future either.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
We have almost all the options on our 09 2955 except the very expensive gel coat and the larger refrig also to expensive. Double apin windows for both the sound and I know they do add to the insulation value on a cold day (or maybe we just felt a warm spot) Generator I mounted in the truck so I can use it anywhere. Fans Oh yes and dual A/C's and our latest is a satellite system so now we are finished adding stuff except the tire pressure monitor system. OH YES the one item Robin really loves it the built in Vac.
Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
If you're going to be set-up semi-permanently, you don't need a roof mount satellite, nor do you need a generator (assuming your CG power is reliable). If you use your Montana as a 2nd home, you need to outfit appropriately - if it is hot where you have it set up, you will probably want the 2nd A/C in the bedroom.

We live in ours and so we do have a roof mounted satellite; we do have the 2nd A/C because we find ourselves in warmer weather (why would we want to be in cold weather?); we ditched the couch and factory recliners for two more comfortable recliners (remember, RV's are 6 for drinking, 4 for eating and 2 for sleeping); we added carpet runners for wear and tear; we have a TV in the basement so we can watch TV from outside while the sun is shining; and my DW added her touches to make our RV a home. It all depends on how you want to live in your new 5er.

My suggestion would to spend some time in your new 5er and then when you get to itchin' for things you don't got, get'em.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
It's all personal preference but when we get a new one our ideal Monty will have 2nd air conditionar, dual pain windows, Fantastic fan, fireplace, gelcoat exterior, built-in vacuum, slide awnings, queen bed IPO king, shower IPO garden tub (bad knee). I would order the power rear jacks if they weren't standard now.

Maybe all the other stuff will be standard by the time we get a new one!
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #11
2golfers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4579
We live in ours most of the time even though we still own a stick house. We opted to take out the 2 recliners and got one larger one and have put both a sml fridge and freezer in place of second recliner. We have dual pane windows and some of the RV parks we have stayed at have been close to a highway and this has been nice since I am a Travel nurse and work nights sometimes. Have 2nd air, fantastic vent a must esp in kitchen wish I also had in hall and bathroom. Did not get high gloss gel coat, wish I had, Did not get slide toppers and glad I didn't I have seen a lot of wind damage to these and have seen where people have had to rig them to keep rain from pooling in the center. would love the window awnings though, wish my awning was electric, Have an icemaker sits on top of the 2nd fridge, No generator but have two large ones that can fit in the truck but for convenice sake may get one in the next or I would really like to go solar. Got a slide out tray, DH loves it. We also have the usual rugs to cover and protect carpet. If You don't like rugs for cover you might try the clear plastic film that is sticky on one side, can find it at camping world or Lowes, and use in high traffic areas, the carpet wears fast and does not perk up after cleaning too well. I recommend getting the spongy type shelf liner it really helps keep things in place, an electric frypan and I couldn't live without my electric roaster oven. Great for cooking large amounts at Rallys. You may want to purchase shelves to add for storage. I have some under the sink to increase stoarage space. I also place dishtowels between all my pots and pans, they travel better. I agree that you just need to live in it for awile and decide what you absolutely need. I also do a cleaning once a year, stuff that I havn't used in one year goes out. Hope this helps.
2golfers is offline   Reply With Quote