Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Life in Remote New Mexico

This is not the place for those who need cell phones and Internet! We have been in North central New Mexico since April. Were we are located there is no cell phone coverage and our Verizon aircard did not work. But now we are connected again. I added an external antenna and power booster for the aircard now we can have either Internet or cell phone, depending on which we hook up to the antenna.

Though we are technically challenged here it is a great area to spend the summer. We are in Georgia O'Keeffe country just 25 miles from Ghost Ranch and just over an hour from Santa Fe. We are at 8500' with mesas and mountains around us going up to over 10,000'. The worst part is that I have to spend my days hiking around the local mountains. The best part is that I get paid to do this.

It has been a very eventful summer so far. We have been through snow, when we first got here, lightning, thunder, rains and hail of the monsoons, and the 90 degree heat of summer. Through all this the Montana had done great.

We only have two more months here then we are headed to Washington until the end of October then down to Central California for the Holidays. We hope all of you have had as enjoyable a summer as we have and that all your trips are safe ones.

jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:19 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Nice post.
Looks like you guys have found a great place there, is it a state park? What do you do for whom?
Nosy, aren't I? I just want to copy what you are doing, sounds like fun.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Ozz, I work for Santa Fe National Forest at the Coyote Ranger District. I do summer work as an Archaeologist doing cultural resource survey work. We spend 8 to 10 hours a day (work 4 10hr days) walking around the forest looking around. I try to work for the National Park Service or Forest Service each summer. Here they also supply me with a nice parking spot with full hookups (50amp power).
Old 08-15-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Jim, very nice. It sounds like a dream job.
I would not be smart enough to do your job, I would have to fix the leaking faucet.
That is a beautiful picture.
Have fun.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:11 AM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Jim, that whole area is one of our favorite spots in the country. We will be pulling our RV up through Santa Fe to Chama on August 28. After an overnight in Chama we will move on up to Durango for a few days, then we will spend the rest of September in Colorado, including stays in Creede, Buena Vista, and Estes Park.

We will come back to Taos on September 23, and back to Santa Fe on September 25, before heading home a few days later.

Congratulations on a constructive and rewarding way to spend the summer.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:06 PM   #6
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Dave, you will be going right through our area. We are just off hwy 84. After you go through Abiquiu and up a small hill you come to Abiquiu Reservoir we are down that way on State Hwy 96. Last time we were here we stayed up in the Jemez Mountains. This time we get to see the other side.

As you said it is great up here. We will be here till the second week in Oct. As I said Santa Fe is were we do most of our shopping. Let us know when you are in the area, maybe we can get together for a green chile burrito and some sopapias.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Thanks, Jim and Carolyn, it would be great to get to meet you in person.

I will send an email.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:29 AM   #8
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Not seeing any postings since early spring I thought that you had given up on the MOC. Just yesterday I said to Toni that you had gone away. Good to hear that you are BACK.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:12 AM   #9
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Jim,
Glad you're enjoying the Montana, NM, and doing good things for the FS. I spent 34 years working for "the outfit." Know the Supervisor (Dan Jiron) in Santa Fe. Good food and drinks at Maria's on Cordova in Santa Fe. Rancho de Chemayo is also a nice place, if you're out and about. Enjoy.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:35 AM   #10
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Chris, Yes those are good places but we tend to stop in Espanola on our way to Santa Fe to eat at Angelina's, great local place with great food.

Dick, Like I said we were technically challenged for awhile but finally go hooked up. We really enjoy the remoteness and really have a cultural shock when we go to the big city like Albuquerque.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:18 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim and Carolyn, I'm sorry to hear we missed out on meeting you. I would have enjoyed meeting you. We spent a month in Santa Fe, from May 5th to June 5th. And our route to Santa Fe from Mesa Verde included US 84, south from near Pagosa Springs, CO.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #12
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Steve, I hope you enjoyed Santa Fe. We like the town, infact we were there yesterday, but we like Alburqueque alittle better. We still have not been to many areas north of us but hope to head up to Toas in another week or so, depending on our schedule. When we leave here we will be heading up through Northern New Mexico then on to Colorado and on to Washington.

Have safe travels and we will probably see you somewhere on the road.

Jim R.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #13
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Just to bring my presence on this thread to full circle:

We enjoyed very much meeting Jim and Carolyn last evening at Angelina's in Espanola. It was great getting to know them and to hear more about the interesting archeological survey work that Jim is doing.

We left Cottonwood RV park in Espanola this morning and arrived here at United Campground of Durango just at noon. All is well except for an extremely poor WIFI connection. Hope this message gets out.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:15 PM   #14
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
David and Shirley,

Glad to here you got out of Espanola OK. Hope you have a great trip. It is always nice meeting forum members in person. We too had a great time. Hope to see you down the road.

Jim and Carolyn
Old 09-02-2008, 05:14 AM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dave and Shirley,

How did you like the park in Espanola? I've got business in Los Alamos tomorrow and always tend to stay in Santa Fe (Skies), but Espinola would be a lot closer.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:43 AM   #16
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Brad, Cottonwood park was all right for us overnight. It certainly does not compare with Santa Fe Skies, but it will do for overnight. We had no problems. There is basically just one row of sites down the hill. It was quiet, no noise from the highway. Full hookups. That's about it.

We moved on over from Durango to Creede this morning. My 2008 Chevrolet Duramax/Allison performed magnificently coming over Wolf Creek Pass. I only tapped my brakes 2 or 3 times. The tow/haul held the speed for safety and comfort. I was very impressed.

And I am very impressed with the Riverside/Mountain View RV Park. It is far more developed than I expected, and I have the best WIFI I have had on the entire trip--all to my surprise. We will leave here on Friday to go on over to Buena Vista.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:06 PM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks David - I think I'll stick to the original plan at the Skies.

Just came up by Buena Vista last night and then home across 285. I was shocked we didn't have any traffic. Usually it's packed coming in after a 3 day holiday.

Hope to visit Creede at the end of the month. Enjoy your trip!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote