Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
Steve O

M.O.C. #20463
TV wiring

I have a 2015 Montana 3611rl. I have a sensor antenna for local channel and a Dish traveler (which I have not hooked up yet). I have cable tv from the park where I am staying. This is complicated. When I use the sensor local antenna I can only get a picture in the front room and not the bedroom. When I use the local cable from he park I have to press a button by the cable inlet in the bedroom. Then I can get cable tv in the bedroom and nothing in the living room. I have tried connecting to different outlets for cable in the living room but get no reception.

Anyone have any ideas?

Steve O
2011 Ram 3500 cummins deisel

Steve O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:41 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
There has to be a cable between the two TV locations, just finding it is a challenge. I would get one of these, so you can put a signal at the living room end and then you can identify which one it is at the bedroom end.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-A...Meter/50278121
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:25 PM   #3
BStephIdaho

M.O.C. #20529
There is a coax 3 cable splitter from bedroom TV. Mine was near the connector for the outside Tv in forward storage. The living room cable hooked to this splitter. I moved the TV living room TV cable to lowest impedance output terminal. That help with picture and channels on both TVs If you don't get all available channels maybe low input strength
BStephIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 07:45 PM   #4
C&KMessina
Established Member

M.O.C. #19933
If your antenna is hd which most are now days you also need to be within 25 miles of the stations antennas or use a booster. Also be sure to check the tv's to make sure both are hd compatible or you will need a converter box for the one that isnt.

The antenna does not convert for you it is just a signal receiver. Next check power lines and over head blockages if anything is near the rv and taller than the antenna then your have a blockage that can and will kill signal .. Its not like a satellite its pure line of site anything in the way slows down the signal
C&KMessina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:31 PM   #5
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
You can buy an inexpensive coax tester (about $20) that will help you determine how your cables are wired.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:16 PM   #6
oddjobal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20488
On my 2012 Montana 295RKD, I have only 1 incoming connector. All the other connectors are on the right side behind the TV, There are 3. Center is incoming from outside. The upper is out gong to my Bedroom TV, lower is to the basement connection. I was lucky enough to have a splitter with me and connected to the output of the Sat Box to feed the 2 TV's
oddjobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:09 PM   #7
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
There is a cable from the antenna and a cable from the outside cable input. Where they plug into the antenna Amplifier power supply (the device with the switch and little light) they are switched. When the button is pushed and the little light is on the cable input should not work at all. All TVs should get antenna. When you push the button and the light is off the park cable should go to all TVs.
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:52 PM   #8
oddjobal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20488
Last time I was out, I set up my Sat TV out side the rig. Made sure everything was working. Connected to the single input outside the rig in the side compartment. Went inside and found the input to the TV area. The other connections are output to the bed room and outside storage. I had a splitter with me so I was able to get Sat TV to the bedroom. Same channel on both TV's. It takes a while to figure things out. Thanks for all the help. Happy Camping
oddjobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #9
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
Thanks for responding. Some are not aware but when the switch on the amplifier panel is on the connection from the cable input is disconnected, when the switch is off the antenna is not connected. So if the cable from the cable input is connected to the antenna in point on the amp and the antenna cable is connected to the cable in point there will be some real difficulties. This is not a regular problem but it does happen. Also check all the connections OFTEN they are loose and this will cause all sorts of issues. Good Luck
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote