Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
The luck of the draw, or?

Hi

Fortunately we had put the shutters on the stick house before leaving for the rally in Sevierville Tn.and we had only remove them from the front and back doors.

Last night while we were out one of these summer thunder storms came thru here. When we returned the first indication that this wasn’t one of the standard storms there was a 2.5 gallon gas can full of gas against the fence about 30 yards from where it was stored, the barbeque grill had been moved about 20 yards.

It was late and I had an appointment to keep early this morning. When I got back in town this afternoon my wife starts talking about the tornado damage to the houses and barns on either side of us. She also mentioned the Montana was no longer level.

When I go to the house I found the Montana had been moved sideways about 8 inches dropping the landing gear off the blocks I use to keep them from sinking in the grass. I went next door and talked to them and they confirmed a partial roof missing and the doors of the barn missing.

There was similar damage on the other side of our place. The total distance between the 3 houses is about ½ mile the only thing I can think of was the tornado touched down at the cattle ranch to the west of us then lifted and went over our place and then touched down in the hay field to the east of us. There is reported damage to a sheep ranch about ½ mile further down the road.

The Montana is now back up level and there isn’t any water intrusion in any of the compartments and wife says all was dry inside when she open the slides this morning to finish cleaning up after the trip.

We thank God for watching over us. I believe the Montana was very close to rolling over.

Phil P

If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
It is really amazing to see some of the pictures showing houses on one side of a street completely destroyed and the other side of the street largely untouched. Or one house gone and a next door neighbor with minor damage.
So yeah, the luck of the draw I guess.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Glad things worked out and you're safe. A lot of wide things going on with the weather this year.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Glad to hear you two are safe. Good to have visited with you at the rally. When we arrive there for the winter, we will get together.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:21 AM   #5
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
Glad you are safe!
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:09 AM   #6
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Thanks all for you comments.

I have new information. The 2 ½ gallon gas container that I found at the fence wasn’t mine a fellow down the road brought mine back and yesterday I found the one I have came from a palace 1 mile away.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:50 AM   #7
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
So glad you made it through all that. Really feel for anyone that has been through a bad storm or tornado. We have been really lucky
here in Tuscaloosa, Al after many horrific tornadoes have hit here. Nice to meet you at the rally and glad you are safe.
Carole and Paul
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote