Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > House Keeping
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
protecting the carpet

We have a 2006 2955RL and the carpet is on the edge of becoming unattractive. We are planning a long 5 month trip with 1 beagle and 2 kitties and a DH that "forgets" to take his shoes off at the door! I have been thinking of getting those long clear plastic rug runners for the area in front of the sofa up to the dining table. it is about 2 feet wide and would protect from back and forth wear. I was thinking a rug at the top of the stairs for in front of the bathroom door and would cover the top stair area. Possibly individual stair steps. We need to discover if the stairs are wooden and then DH can tack or staple them down. OK...your turn....what have you'all done?

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
We use carpet runner rugs and throw rugs everywhere....You can wash in washer anytime they get bad. We have a 3400RL model and even put in a 7'X7' square braided area rug in the livingroom area. Those light biege carpets are hard to keep clean, I don't care how careful you are....Have a fun trip and remember you can always have to carpets cleaned once you get home. Teresa
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
I actually have rug runners in my bedroom so I am going to go see how they look in the Monty tonight. Thanks....now what about the stairs?
Old 04-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
That was a great tip Teresa. I don't know why I didn't think of it myself with having the runners in my bedroom already!! One of those deals where you just don't notice what's right in front of you!! Anyway, we went to the Monty tonight and presto!! everything will work great. We have a carpet runner with the rubber backing that will work great on the stairs too! Problem solved.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
melanie7ny
Established Member

M.O.C. #8832
Hi Casadelsol, We have a great solution to the stair problem! We have lived in our monty for over 2 years, and the stairs are still in perfect shape.
First, get a cheap carpet runner, about 2' x 7' long, from either the local dollar store, or home depot or lowes. you need it to be cheap, for the 'thin'ness, a better quality rug would be too thick, and not bend. Also make sure you have a good heavy duty stapler, the big silver kind.
Our monty has the a wooded return for the furnace from the floor to the bottom of the first step, and another from the second step to the bottom of the third. We unscrewed these, and starting from the bottom step, place the edge of the carpet under where you will screw the first wooden grill back onto the step at the bottom, and wrap the carpet over the lip of the step, and measure how long it needs to be to fit under the bottom of the second step grill, then cut it all the way across.
For the next part, your doing the same thing you just did to the first grill and step, make sure to place the carpet under the grill to be screwed back down.
Next, use your stapler to tack dawn the carpet as you run it up the last step. make sure to tack under the step lip, where it would be screwed if there were a grill. run whats left of the carpet strait, and tack it to the floor, about an inch apart, all along the edges of your runner. Also tack that first step along the edges, and anywhere you may want extra strength, there is plenty of plywood to tack into. Try to make sure in the beginning you center everything good. this has worked well for us. contact me through email if you would like some pics! melanie7ny@hotmail.com
melanie7ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I am using the 2 runners I had purchased from Walmart and was using in my bedroom. One goes on the stairs and the other at the door and leading in to the sofa area. We bought area rugs that aren't as long but are wider for in front of the sofa and next to the table and chairs. We will see how it all looks tomorrow when we leave for a few days. We are going to a place close to home as our shake downn cruise. We need to see how our 2 kitties adjust to traveling. They are both indoor cats and this should be interesting to say the least!! The Casa will be there home for the next 5 months. I hope we all survive it!
Old 04-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
What I use to protect my rugs is that sticky on one side clear plastic overlay that they put in RV's at the shows to protect them when the people look at the RV's. When at the Q-site its on and our rugs, and are clean when I pull it off the rug, its also like a big piece of tape and it removes the lint from the rug also. it can be moped like a vinal floor to keep it looking clean. Home Depot Selles the stuff in 22 inch wide rols.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
We have been using carpet savers about five years now and they are still like new. When they get soiled just throw them in the wash. DO NOT USE SOFTNER. They stay put. http://www.carpetsaver.com/rvs.htm
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:13 AM   #9
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
thanks awaywego!! I love it. Ordering now!
Old 05-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have been using that clear plastic stuff on the stairs, stapled down, under the table and in front of the counter. Think we will try that clear sticky stuff.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #11
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
We use long runners and throw rugs. I also put indoor/outdoor carpet on the tops of the steps.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:41 AM   #12
Msjan
Established Member

M.O.C. #9847
I guess I could say I am really "frugal." Big Lots sells runners that match or almost match the carpeting for $5.00 to $7.00 - I put a runner between the kitchen counter and the dining table. In fact, I recently spilled an entire glass of red wine on the runner and it didn't bother me to just throw the runner away. I was very thankful it was there.
Msjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We have 4 throw rugs, a runner in front of the kitchen counter, a small mat at the front door, one in front of the shower and one in front of the bathroom sink. We also use step covers and a door mat before the stairs. AND, our carpet looks terrible...... Our last park had extremely dirty roads and we tracked in a lot of dark soil, dog also, by the time we figured it out the damage was done. We started wiping the dogs feet with a wet towel and took our shoes off. We had had the carpets cleaned a month ago and will have it done again when we get to San diego. On top of list for this winter is a laminate floor in central areas, slides will remain carpet unless someone has a way to laminate them with a nice edge. Living in Alaska for 14 years we were not a shoes off family, so it is hard to get used to that concept, but we need to be more diligent with the shoes off thing.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #14
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Well I not only have the dog who can be at fault, I have a DH that grew up with a mother that had a no shoes off policy. He is trying to do better but forgets more than he remembers. Right now the carpet isn't too bad but we are going out for 5 or 6 months and I am hoping to prevent disaster. I have 21X60 inch runners going from door to sofa and all along the part of the carpet that meets up with the slide. Also one on the stairs that goes up and covers in front of the bathroom. I think we will be OK. I would like to put down laminate but we will have to wait and see on that one.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #15
Stu Travels

M.O.C. #10171
Hi,
I like the sticky thin stuff. Comes in a roll. I only have used it on the steps. I use runners and throw rugs for the other places. I keep extra entry and runner rugs for rainy, yucky days.
Stu Travels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:48 PM   #16
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Here's my update on the carpet after 2 1/2 months on the road. I use a 5 ft runner on the stairs, one next to the dining table that runs back toward the sofa and one from the door up to the carpet and runs in front of our recliners. I used the "Capture" system and cleaned the carpets well before I started. I have a few dirt spots but won't do anything until we are back on the road. We have been staying in a very sandy area for the past 8 weeks. I want to mention that it has worked out great with the kitties too. They have adjusted well to "Casa" living.