Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
So much to learn.... I have never seen those brackets close up nor have I made the adjustment.. Up to high for me.. I did not know about the method Glenn mentions but I can see how it will work. When Helen did the last adjustment on the bracket she said it was at the end of its adjustment so perhaps both adjustment need to be made. We Will try the "Glenn method" and see if we can get some of our bracket adjustment back.

This is what his forum is about...

ON EDIT...Since the camper is pulled out and the slides open for loading for the G.L rally we decided (read Helen decided) to try "Glenn's method" in addition to the "bracket adjustment" method.
We noted that there was 3 inches of the tube showing on the right side and 1 1/2 inchs on the left side so we decided to start out even on both sides.... That awning is NOT easy to pull. By dropping the awning on the front of the camper thereby removing all tension we were able...with great effort to move he awning. Anyhow by going back and forth between the two adjustments it now is a perfect fit and Helen said.."lets quit while we are ahead."

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #22
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Rich, Now that you have that perfect fit take a magic marker and mark the tube. Check that mark before putting the awning back up and if the awning moved readjust.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #23
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I had the same problem with my awning. I measured from the inside of the roller to the edge of the awning and slide it until it is exactly centered . Once it was centered I put a piece of vinyl tape on the tube so I could look at it to see if it was centered.
Only problem is the awning fabric shrinks a little each summer or winter and now the tape is about an inch from the awning on each side. Now I center the awning and have space between the tape and the awning. Guess I will have to move the tape. Always something to do on these things.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did that Glenn. Thanks for the tip.. Never to old to learn.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:03 AM   #25
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I thought we were the only one with the awning alignment problem! When our awning was installed, they apparently started on the front end. It runs level for about 3/4 the way toward the back, then curves down to avoid running into the roof (more old world craftsmanship; heck, we don't need a laser level or chalkline!). I had attributed the problems we have had to improper installation. The front top bracket continually came loose, as it was only attached with lag screws through the filon and 1/4" plywood backing. I finally addressed this problem by installing hollow wall anchors and 1/4-20 bolts in the anchor. I still have the problem of the arms not aligning. As Rich stated, the top brackets have a small amount of adjustment, but I have found the fabric sliding in the roller tube to be the main problem.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:41 AM   #26
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
We discovered the fabric shifting problem too causing the arms to not align when bringing the awning up for travel. Our fabric tends to always shift to the rear for some reason. I loosen the tension, slide the fabric toward the front to where it belongs and then everything aligns when folding up.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:02 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am pretty much convinced that the primary cause of the awning not aligning is the fabric moving on the roller bar. After fooling around yesterday. we found that with the alignment holes in the top brackets center adjusted and the awning fabric of equal distance on the roller there is a good alignmnet I would not suggest loosening those bracket bolts to many times as they are as slick willie notes, screwed into very little.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:05 AM   #28
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Arghhhhh, Rich, we were hoping that bolt/bracket adjustment might help us.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:49 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It will help..But it is not a adjsutment I would do frequently.I do not trust in screwing and unscrewing those bolts to many times. measure the distance from the end of the awning to the the end of the roller on both sides.If there is a big difference do the pull the awning trick first.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #30
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

It will help..But it is not a adjsutment I would do frequently.I do not trust in screwing and unscrewing those bolts to many times. measure the distance from the end of the awning to the the end of the roller on both sides.If there is a big difference do the pull the awning trick first.
Good advice! Even if the lag bolts are through aluminum structure, they will strip very easily, plus the area needs to be re-sealed to avoid any chance of water entering the wall.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:06 AM   #31
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I tried to pull the awning material on the roller (providing the roller is the round metal tube at the end of the awning that extends down) and it wouldn't budge. Any tricks?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mike, I think it's the other end, where it attaches to the rig, that you have to slide to align it.

Then put a screw through it so you don't have to do it again someday.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:15 AM   #33
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Thank you Sir!
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #34
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Thanks everybody for your input. I tried sliding the fabric on the roller tube and after many trial and error attempts finally hit on the right combination that allow the arms to align. I suggest you make a small mark on your roll up tube before you start that way you have a reference point of where not to go as it is easy to slide too far in the other direction.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote