Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Richmond VA ??

Need campground recommendations and attractions. We're headed for Charleston and Savannah (like Tim and Susan) but will be stopping over in/around Richmond and Fayetteville, NC.

VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I stayed at Sleepy Bear's RV Park in Lumberton, NC.
I stayed at Lazy Acres RV
Address: 821 LAZY ACRES ST
FAYETTEVILLE, NC 28306
Phone: (910)425-9218
It is right next to the airport and I heard it was up for sale.
So this is old information.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 01:47 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Pochahantas State Park southern side of Richmond was nice a number of years ago, was new then, but understand they have redone AGAIN, also would advise checking price. We did not stay there Spring of 2008, seems it was pricy??

Or, stay near Monticello, about 8 miles back in a cove is a KOA. Yea, I know. Was pretty nice tho, and be glad they have free wifi, cause your air card ain't gonna work there, and neither is any cell phone known to mankind! If you have not done Monticello, it is really worth it! What beauty, and history too. Believe it is about 90 minutes out of Richmond?? Give or Take, you know ole leaky brains, don't remember nothing right any more!

Advise staying the KOA instead of other campgrounds reportedly near Monticello. They are not that close, and we were told that one of them was a rough ride in, watch for low bridges, stuff like that. We did not even consider trying, the KOA worked for us.

Have a great trip!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
rps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6052
Last Winter on our way to Florida, we stopped at the KOA in Fredricksburg, VA about 50 miles north of Richmond, then we stopped at the KOA in Fayetteville-Wade NC, then onto KOA - Savannah South (Richmond Hills, GA), then into Bushnell, Florida

We are planning the same trek this year. All stops were easy on/off I-95.
rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:37 AM   #5
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Pocahontas State Park is a great place to stay; we've gone off/on for 12 years or so (since our pop-up days). No full hook-ups, but there is a good dump station on the way out of the park. There is a newer section that has really great sites - lots of privacy. Fredericksburg KOA is also do-able with big rigs, just on kinda windy roads to get there. Stayed at the KOA in Wade/Fayetteville about 2 years ago and were very favorably impressed. The grounds were great, sites level, great dog play area. Just had typical KOA prices. Easy on/off, though, on your trek south or north.
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Assuming you are traveling on I-95 southbound, Americamps RV park is located just north of Richmond before you hit their beltway. The address os 11322 Air Park road, Ashland, VA23005. North of that is Fredericksburg KOA at 7400 Brookside Lane, Fredericksburg, VA 22408. Lazy acres around Fayettville is a nice campgrounds. The access road leading into it has much to be desired, but the owners are friendy and its clean. 821 Lazy Acres street, fayetteville, NC 28306.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:02 AM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Thanks for all your help! We stayed at the Fredericksburg KOA last night and have a reservation at the Fayetteville, NC KOA tonight. As much as I hate to pay the $$ (when I have a Passport America card), we just keep going back to KOAs - they are (almost) always clean, level sites, easy to find, pet friendly, etc. I remember when McDonald's was first becoming a worldwide entity they mentioned they wanted anyone anywhere to patronize them because they know what to expect - good food, good service, good value. That should be the philosophy every business. Now we'll drop down to TimandSusan's thread for Charleston and Savannah suggestions. Thanks again for the recommendations! I love this forum!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:11 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've stayed at the Fredericksburg KOA and the American Heritage RV Park at Williamsburg. I'm not sure if either of those are close enough to Richmond for you but both were decent parks. If you're in Williamsburg, the Historic Triangle of Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown are worth a visit. And, if you like Pizza, Jamestown Pie Company has the best pizza we've had anywhere in this country. So far. (Thanks to Dave and Chris (CanDo) for taking us there).
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote