Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
Hitch question

Hi again folks,
Yes, we are the NEW folks who do not have our NEW Montana 2955 home from the Windy City-YET. So, the person I purchased it from called today and asked if I was interested in a near-new hitch that they were removing from their vehicle prior to selling the truck [for an undetermined promised great price?]. I actually saw the hitch when I purchased the RV and it does look pristine. ItS' a Reese slider 16K. I have not bought a new truck [to haul the Monty], YET...but I can not see myself with a short bed. So does anybody have some sage advice on the track record of this hitch and or the new price or what should be the max to offer? And lastly could a great deal slider be used in a long bed? So many question from us new folk!

Thanks for your help,
Jim in Folsom, CA

Jim-n-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Jim,

If you have a short bed then you need a slider. If the hitch you are talking about is a slider then just get a good low price and you'll be fine. I don't know what they go for new but you can look that up on their webpage. If it is a good price then you might want to get even if you have a long bed. It will still work as a hitch you just won't find much use for the sliding part. But not a problem if it works like a regular hitch. Perhaps when you end up selling it you can get a few more $$$$ for it since it is a slider.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:37 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sure, you can use a slider on a long bed, but you don't need one. If it is a really, really good price, you might buy it and sell it for a profit or trade it for the one you need. You could keep it until you buy the truck to make sure it wasn't a short bed. Maybe declare the whole mess to be too big a hassle and pass on the deal.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:04 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
There is no reason you can't put a slider in a long bed truck. I have a couple friends that went to long beds from short beds and kept their old slider. They just never use the sliding mechanism.

If the price is right than I would say "buy it".
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:22 AM   #5
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
I pull a 2955 with that same hitch. No problems, good combination. If you getinto the hitch really right, it would be possible to sell the slider portion separately. You may have to buy a mounting kit for whatever truck you purchase anyway, as I believe the mounting hardware is different from vehicle to vehicle.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 03:32 AM   #6
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Jim, this is the very hitch I use in my sb GMC. When I go to the 3500 dually I will transfer the hitch to the new truck.
Also, when putting this hitch in your new truck, I advise using new mounting bolts. The used bolts have been stretched just a little and could fail somewhere down the road. Just mho.
If the price is right, go for it!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 04:38 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The slider kit is an add on for Reese. You might find somebody out there sometime that would trade you the slider base for the standard base if you keep it in good shape. Remember to keep the slide lubed or it will rust in place.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:20 PM   #8
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I would think the main draw back to the slider might be the added weight. If you remove the hitch often that might be a deciding factor.
MARK
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:32 PM   #9
labouttejr
Established Member

M.O.C. #5936
I think we should start a poll on which hitches are used.

The problem is, I do not know how to start one, but I am sure that there are many out there that know how.

It would be fun to see.
labouttejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:59 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have a SB Chevy and a 3400 with a sliding hitch. In six months of towing, about 5000 miles, I have not had to use the slider yet, Seems the new cap design on the 3400 does allow for 80-85% turning. I DO watch my cap closely while turning while DW watches trailer. I'm SURE I will need it someday, but not so far. Of course, I would not do without it just don't know when I will need it.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:40 PM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I have the same hitch and have no problems with it at all! I do have a shortbed and I remove my hitch every so often! When I take it out of the truckbed I leave the mount rails in and just remove the slider and the hitch itself! I take it apart and have two pieces then. The weight is no problem them at all. Like others have said in this thread-- if you can get it for a good price buy it and if you can trade it later for another hitch you want then you're ahead of the game or if you want to use it in your new truck you can still do that! Good luch and enjoy!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:54 PM   #12
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Mine is a SB and I have the Reese 16K sliding hitch. It's not a problem pulling the lever and letting hitch slide rearward. It a lot better if the unit and truck are in a straight line.
I've pulled the leaver 3 times, better safe than sorry.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote