Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2006, 11:59 PM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
32 degrees means freezing

Yes the statement above is common sense but I thought I could add a couple to it. Mother nature does not allow any extra wiggle room.
When we woke up this morning the water quit running. Ann said what happened and I said the hose must have froze. I looked at the outside temperature and it was 30.9. Yep the hose was frozen. I switched to the inside tank and pump and we had water.

Time to hit the hardware store and get heat tape and insulation. I was hoping I could wait until the new one arrived but it does not look that way.

So lesson learned if the temp is going down below freezing expect the outside exposed pipes and hoses to freeze.

Cheers,

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:49 AM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Yup. You are correct John. Been there, done that. We lucked out this morning in Myrtle Beach. It is only down to 34 degrees. Burrrrrrrrrr.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:03 AM   #3
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
We have made it to 26 degrees before the hose froze. If you keep it off the ground it helps. We have tied ours to the ladder a few times. (In Yuma it is 62 degrees at 6am) Sorry couldn't resist!
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:07 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Yep you're right 32° does mean freezing. We lucked out this AM as we awoke to free flowing water lines. No freezing or even a frost. Of course it is 62° down here.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:10 AM   #5
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
54 degrees out here on the West Coast of B.C. If we couldn't get water out of the tap, we would just hold a cup out the window for about 2 minutes, I'm sure it would be full by then. It's really raining today. ha ha.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:44 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I like the idea of - when you know you will have questionable overnight temps - of filling your fresh water tank, unhook and drain your water hose (I just left mine lay on the ground stretched out last night - 21 degrees here in the NC mountains). Use your internal pump and supply. When the temps warm back above freezing the next day, hook the hose back up to the city water.

That way I avoid buying heat tape. This system could work for a few days as well, if the temps don't rise high enough. We can run 3 days on a 62 gal fresh water tank, before refilling and repeating if necessary. Your tank systems and plumbing are all heated with your furnace.

Nothing like that panic feeling that rushes through you when you throw your faucet on in the morning and not even a drip comes out...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 05:42 AM   #7
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
And watch your propane so you don't run out of gas at 4:00AM when its 23 degrees out like I did Sat. night.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:39 AM   #8
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
we have a 25' hose w/heat tape and just leave it on year round it knows when to come on and off, no problems yet, just maintance.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote