Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #21
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Lippert will be presenting at the Fall Rally. Should I forget, a regular problem, someone bring this up when they are there.

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #22
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

The system must be on for the leveling to work. It was on when we noted it leveling a few mins after the initial setup other than that we have not heard the reported noise.
We were told by a friend in a SOB that it does not hurt to leave the system on and if set up in grass or softer ground it will level when needed...Sounded like a good idea to me?????
Rich,

I remember last year we heard a beeping sound and could not figure out where it was coming from. Jim had parked the Monty in our yard, leveled it and forgot to shut it off. The noise was coming from the control box for the leveling system. Once Jim shut if off, the noise stopped. I don't think it was more than a few days that it was left on.
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think I will experiment with leaving the system on next time we are in a unstable area.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #24
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Under "Dropping off Unit" in the manual it says:

..."8. Push “ON/OFF” button to turn system off or system will time out and shut off automatically."

So it sounds like you aren't able to leave it on. Doesn't say how long until it shuts off though. That's why I'm wondering how it is "adjusting" later on if it is actually off??

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #25
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I, like Greg, believe the system times out after a fairly short period (5 minutes?) and turns itself off. Every time I want to do something with the leveling system, I have to energize the system by hitting the "On" button.

Not really knowing how the system operates allows me to speculate wildly. I believe the pump is Off, but there is some amount (1,000+ PSI) of static pressure applied to each of the jacks via the valving system. If a jack (or two?) has a little bit of leakage around the seal, it's pressure will drop and consequently any other jack on the same circuit will effectively lose pressure also. The noise we hear is the jacks/suspension/frame adjusting to the change. This assumes a "common rail" type fluid supply. If each jack has a dedicated circuit - then never mind.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #26
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Under "Dropping off Unit" in the manual it says:

..."8. Push “ON/OFF” button to turn system off or system will time out and shut off automatically."

So it sounds like you aren't able to leave it on. Doesn't say how long until it shuts off though. That's why I'm wondering how it is "adjusting" later on if it is actually off??

FYI ... Our 08 2980 timed out in one minute. (installed from Lippert after rally 2 years ago or whenever it was first offered) This factory installed '12 times out in one minute.
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:34 AM   #27
jdvier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10130
Was unable to make the ralley in NE. but does someone have an extimate of installing the 6 point leveling system? Is it better to go to Lippert's outlet or get it done at a rally?
jdvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It was 3495 installed at the rally last year.I have heard a price of 4400.00 installed aftermarket by lippert. Our level up system version 2 times out in 3 minutes.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #29
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
O.K.much better! I releveled because I have been in the same spot for a couple months I let it sit on the ground for a few minutes to compress the suspension Releveled and now it is alot better I guess I need to do that if I am going to stay in one place for a while
Old 08-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In will say that when this thing says it is level..it is level.We can put a level most anywhere in the Rv and it is level. I am impressed.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #31
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
According to Lippert's brochure, regular price for Level up is $4,500 + installation. Rally price $4,100 with installation included ($950 value).
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #32
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Rich, after you level and put the slides out is it still level in the kitchen slide??? because ours "dips down" a little and I can put a marble on the counter and it rolls down and also liquid in the skillets goes to the back so I have to manualy tilt the roadside up a little to make it even
Old 08-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #33
cbhughan
Established Member

M.O.C. #12389
We have had the same problem with out 2012 Montana that has the Lippert six point level up system. Sometimes it feels like the trailer moved or dropped along with the popping noise. I have never actally see the trailer move. As far as I can tell the jacks are still in the same extended position and they don't look they have moved. I did notice that the hydraulic fluid was not up to the fill line when everything was retracted so I tried adding some. I also used the zero set procedure to adjust the leveling of the trailer and although the trailer now is level using the auto level feature it hasn't stopped the popping noise.
cbhughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:29 AM   #34
cbhughan
Established Member

M.O.C. #12389
I spoke to Lippert Technical Support the other day and the popping is caused by one of two things. It could be residual air left in the hydraulic lines from the initial manufacturing of the unit. He said that if that is the case the air will dissipate over time. The more likely cause and one that Lippert is aware of and is working on a fix is caused by temperature differentials. He called it a heat popper and it happens for example when temerature during the day and at night differ to the extreme. I was in Bozeman Montana and up there the day time highs were in the mid 80's and at night it got down to the 40's. It did seem to increase the frequency and loudness of the popping noise.
cbhughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:32 AM   #35
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Thats gotta be it Chuck, it has been the same kind of temp difference here in Seattle and I do notice it mostly at night