Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Found in Tire Cover

So before discovering I had a flat tire, (see previous posting), I removed the tire covers. Instead of folding them up and putting them away like a good boy I threw them in the shed.

Fast forward to today, about a week after putting the covers in the shed. While I was getting ready to fold up one of the covers I discovered what was the largest, blackest, ugliest, beetle I've ever seen. The good news it was dead but in the process of dying it had attached itself, via front pinchers to the fabric inside the cover. I was finally able to get it unhooked after first separating it's body from it's head and than pulling the head off the fabric.
One cover down, one to go.

The second cover did not have any super size beetle, just a small insignificant one but did have a spider, unknown, small body long legs, and 6 sacks that bore a striking similarity to spider eggs that we found in the garage when we moved into our Florida house. Those eggs were identified as black widow spider eggs.

The fact that I previously handled these covers, not knowing whether these creepy crawlers were there or not, was enough to convince me that the covers will remain in their respective boxes placed high on a shelf in the shed. In the future if I crawl under the trailer, while in Florida, I will make sure that a large piece of plywood will be separating me from whatever creatures will be lurking in the ground.

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Don't forget that Florida is ALL "muggy & buggy". One of the most successful ever real estate salesman's dream.

Somehow (but don't tell my sister in Bradenton this) I like Arizona a whole lot better...especially the humidity (or lack thereof).
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:36 AM   #3
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
Yes it seems like in Florida we have all kinds of bugs which all want to take a bite out of you, no see'ums, or commit suicide on the front of your rig, love bugs. But my uniform of the day will be shorts a golf shirt and boat shoes. Gotta love the weather.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:25 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Had a Hilton in Orlando tell us once not to be concerned about the giant roach we found when we turned the bed down. Didn't even get an apology! They just said "We can't do anything about them, they're indigenous to the area." Haven't stayed in a Hilton since and that's been over 30 years ago. They are not now and never will be indigenous to our Monty.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by c214dick

The fact that I previously handled these covers, not knowing whether these creepy crawlers were there or not, was enough to convince me that the covers will remain in their respective boxes placed high on a shelf in the shed.
Dick, Not sure putting them on the highest shelf will help. In my previous work I have found them in telephone terminals on 80 foot poles.
Like you I didn't like them there either. Jim
Old 02-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Dick, we discovered a long time ago that anything "balled up" would be a likely place for creepy things to make their home. My most significant concern here is snakes...in our part of Florida they tend to be large and poisonous. Be careful!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Now that the covers are put away, I don't plan on taking them out until we return in the fall and put Monty in storage. Even than I don't know if I will use them again. The nastiest was that giant black beetle with the pincers. By the way, doesn't Arizona have more scorpians than Florida?
Old 02-23-2012, 05:25 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I used to store an air conditioner cover in the front locker of our Montana. At the 2006 (correct year?) Mt. Shasta rally I opened that locker and was startled to find....

This lady had given birth in the AC cover. After chewing up the padded interior of the cover, of course. After she left the locker we watched until we saw her go up the rear stabilizer into the belly and then come into the front locker through the hole with the electrical wires going through it. This was in a 2003 Montana 3295RK.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:01 AM   #9
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!